Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

My Big Question

Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
My Big Question

So toyotas been rocking the Tacoma's and Tundra's for years now, but what I dont get is why they havent made a diesel rig? I know they got the (hilux) if thats how you spell it but why arent they dropping a damn cummins in a tundra or something. Anyone wanna through there opinion out there?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Certifications, and emissions. Even if an engine passes emissions in one platform, it still must be re certified for use in another. As far as what engine, Toyota is very tight with Hino. That would be the engine they use if this were to come to fruition.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
EPA would be my guess. Another reason I'd guess is because they already have a V8 that is rated to haul a large amount of weight, once you get into HD Diesels, you'd be competing in a different market. Toyota doesn't have the reputation here for HD trucks that say Chevy, Ford and Dodge have with their motors. I can't see them spending a ton of money to make a brand new engine to compete in a market they'll have limited success in. It'd take a while for them to take the business away from the tried and true diesels we already have in the US. At least that's my guess.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Veteran
mmadej87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
EPA would be my guess. Another reason I'd guess is because they already have a V8 that is rated to haul a large amount of weight, once you get into HD Diesels, you'd be competing in a different market. Toyota doesn't have the reputation here for HD trucks that say Chevy, Ford and Dodge have with their motors. I can't see them spending a ton of money to make a brand new engine to compete in a market they'll have limited success in. It'd take a while for them to take the business away from the tried and true diesels we already have in the US. At least that's my guess.
the thing about that is, ford or dodge dont make their diesels...not so sure where the duramax comes from, but i know the ford diesel is made by international, and the dodge is obv cummins
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadej87 View Post
the thing about that is, ford or dodge dont make their diesels...not so sure where the duramax comes from, but i know the ford diesel is made by international, and the dodge is obv cummins
Ford makes their 6.7 in house now.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Ford makes their 6.7 in house now.
so now its a shitty ford engine wrapped in a shitty ford chassis?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Pretty much.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Mayday

Quote:
Pretty much.
well then in THAT case, toyota should def bring a diesel to the US, atleast give us the one thats in the hilux, i would LOVE the 32mpg that the hilux gets!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
well then in THAT case, toyota should def bring a diesel to the US, atleast give us the one thats in the hilux, i would LOVE the 32mpg that the hilux gets!
It will never happen.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FWIW, The Duamax is made by Izuzu
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

They must be doin' something right since the F-series is the best selling truck for over 30 yrs.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
They must be doin' something right since the F-series is the best selling truck for over 30 yrs.
You can buy fleets for dirt cheap.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Must be more fleet sales than the rest.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Must be more fleet sales than the rest.
Welp....My Dad bought 14 Fords for the price of 5 equivelent Chevys. Though they only lasted about 50k miles in the field, he could afford to buy them, and write them off vs. what Chevy and Dodge cost.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
What would Scooby do?

Them Chevy and Dodges were overpriced. The company I contracted for bought all Fords and got great service from them.My 03 F250 that was my wrk truck when I was still contracting has 192k on it and still runs strong. My Dad is still driving his 88 F250 that he bought new.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Not all the F models are the best selling just the 150. We were talking about an engine that is not in the best selling F150. Also the 4.6, 5.4 and V10 have stark plug issues.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Not all the F models are the best selling just the 150. We were talking about an engine that is not in the best selling F150. Also the 4.6, 5.4 and V10 have stark plug issues.
Some people dont call self ejecting spark plugs an issue.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #18
What would Scooby do?

I haven't had that problem. That was an issue in the early Triton engines.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #19
What would Scooby do?

Quote:
I'm just trying to defend Ford a little from this statement since I've had pretty good luck.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #20

Quote:
I haven't had that problem. That was an issue in the early Triton engines.
Ive seen it happen on tehm up to 2006. Ford clams the problem is due to over torquing plugs, although, it has happened on plugs installed from the factory.