Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

4th gen 4runner....with a 6 speed?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
4th gen 4runner....with a 6 speed?

I love my Tacoma, but I dont use the bed that often and I really like suvs, the only reason I dont have one is because the lack of a manual transmission. So, i have been thinking lately about how much of a pain it would be to put a 6 speed manual in a 4th gen (2003-2009) 4runner. The 4runner is avialable with the same 4.0 v6 as the Tacoma, so the transmission would bolt up, but after that, I'm not sure if it's even possible. Since the 4runner is available with a manual in other countries, would all the mounting hardware be there? Would the electrical work? How much of pain would it be to do?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
life. It goes on.
johnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nice

Army:
Name: John
johnh7's Tacoma Gallery
anything is possible if you want it too
Old 06-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guessing it would bolt up with little to no issues. You might have some issues with your wire harness length for your sensors.
And on that note there might be some sensors associated with the automatic that you won't need for the manual. They might need to be addressed so your not driving around with a check engine light.

Needless to say I would be interested to know.

The drive lines could very possibly be different, I see that a lot with different models of cars/trucks.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna bump this up. I have been thinking about this again.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh7 View Post
anything is possible if you want it too
X2. The stock ECU won't like it so that will be fun to mess with. I would skip the junk Toyota 6 speed and go with a T56.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Banned
emelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
emelianenkov's Tacoma Gallery
I had to replace my transmission a few months ago and I really wanted a manual in my 4Runner. I couldn't figure out how much work would need to be done, so I gave up. Maybe if I find a 2003 4Runner to play around with