1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limited slip vs positive traction

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by mat, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    mat

mat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    elite offroad front bumper, tool box, rustoleum bed liner, fog lights, alpine head unit, homemade bed extender
    Hey everybody, i thought i would share an experience and hopefully answer some questions. I have been searching for a traction aid such as a locker or limited slip ever since i got my truck. I think i finally found the one that fits my needs best with the detroit trutrac limited slip. I will be purchasing one in the next few weeks and decided to try and find a shop to install it. I talked to the head mechanic, and he really really pissed me off. First he told me that i probably already had a ls i told him that i had an open differential, he then told me that if one wheel can spin freely i have limited slip, i told him that a limited slip was supposed to limit that. He answered that with "what your looking for is positive traction." Well positive traction is a limited slip differential at least as far as i know. Then he told me that even if i didnt already have a ls if i put one in it it would throw codes. Why the fuck would it throw codes? it is a mechanical unit and there is no sensor to even tell the computer something has changed. I was pissed. If there is any problem with my logic on any of this please let me know, and sorry for the long post im just mad.

2. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Rep. For you for not posting this in the 2nd Gen section!

And I always thought they were the same just that "posi" was a Chev/GMC thing!

3. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Step one find another mechanic.

Step two: Get new mechanic to install it.

4. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    elite offroad front bumper, tool box, rustoleum bed liner, fog lights, alpine head unit, homemade bed extender
    Thank you, the reason why i wanted to go to this guy was because he is kinda a family friend and he has fixed our cars for years and he said he would let me help or at least watch the install. He also said that a locking differential engaged at a certain rpm and wouldnt let the gears move any fast to keep the rear end from burning up. Thanks alot guys and no problem for not posting this in the 2nd gen forum duck!

5. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I just hope you mis-understood him and that he wasn't giving you 'farmland' answers to a 'high-tech' (to him) question!???

When one of the drive (rear tires on 2WD, or all tires on 4WD) tires is on slippery surface or in the air, and the other is on firm ground, normal 'open' differentials will transfer the power to that loose tire... and you become stuck.

Limited Slip differentials use clutches that brake (slow down) rotation on one side of the differential with less traction so more power can be used by the other side with more traction. More chance of moving on.

Locking differentials 'lock' both sides of the differential together so both tires turn the same speed. Doesn't matter what the ground is like under one tire or if it is in the air, the other tire on that axle will rotate the same rate.

6. Mar 15, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Just FYI - On new fords with the rear locked, the computer will disengage the locker over a certain speed. I think it's 35km/h.

7. Mar 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    no i dont think i misunderstood him i was there with a friend and he heard all of it too. However i am suspicious since he said he knows how to do it and he will. but since he says i already have one i dont know why he would install it? He also said that only one tire gets power anyway and the other wheel just follows. I dont know why so much bullshit spews from this guys mouth, but i didnt even want to argue with him hes owned his own shop for 30 years so when he said that to someone who has been researching this stuff for six months it kinda took away some of my confidence about knowing my shit

8. Mar 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    that would defeat the purpose of a differential because when you turned on the side of the one wheel that had power you would almost always chirp that tire correct?

Products Discussed in

To Top