1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

am i imagining things? is KIA and Hyundai stepping it up?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by aficianado, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    first and foremost, i am a car freak. i look at everything.

several times now, i see an interesting car profile drive by me, and i take a look. EGADS!! it is an effen Hyundai turbo sonata..or shit..some KIA optima!! wtf is going on here. i see alot of them on the road.

the koreans stepping it up or what? they have crazy long warranties.

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    hyundai is doing very well right now, making much higher quality cars than they used to, and some pretty cool stuff!

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Hyundai-Kia is selling some models (most notably the Sonata) at capacity right now. In other words, they're selling every car they can make.

Hyundai is now what Toyota/Honda were in the 80s. For the few of us that remember those ancient days.

4. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Yup, Hyundai has been getting serious about their product since 2000, had a brand new 2000 Elantra & the similarities & characteristics to the Honda were freaky, no longer is Hyundai the laughing stock & village idiot of cars, that thing handled great & was no slouch from light to light, pretty quick. Hyundai bought out Kia a few years ago.....:cool:

5. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    kwhorne

kwhorne Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma SR5 Xtra Cab 4x4
    Just bought a used 2007 Hyundai Sonata with the leather and V6 in September '10 - wife and I love it so far.. great car at half the price of some other.. plus got 100k mile/10 year bumper to bumper warranty with it...

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    love the genesis :drool:

7. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    They have definitely improved... The look of them has especially improved. I, however, I am still too much of a die-hard Toyota fan. It is unfortunate that certain other companies don't seem to even be trying these days. Eh.

Here's a photo from a recent accident:
    [​IMG]
    Korean vs. Japanese. The Korean car started on fire, the Toyota Avalon had a damaged bumper...

8. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
  9. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    My wife was looking to buy a Turbo Sonata, and they are very nice and quick. But they weren't all that when you look at the price imo. When we first started looking we thought for the money we were getting a lot of car, but we wound up getting her a fully loaded Accord v6 for less than I could talk them down on the Sonata as they claimed they were selling so well that they had no room to budge. Which did us a favor as we a happier with the Honda. But the big drawback on the Sonata was a lot of negative reviews in the steering, look it up if interested. Alot were complaining about the cars pulling drastically to the left and scaring the hell out of the drivers and doing all they could to keep from wrecking. Well after 1 or 2 reviews like that, I didn't make much of it, but as I kept searching, I found more and more on this and it scared us away. I went back and test drove another one and this time took it out on the interstate and sure enough, it pulled to the left. Not like the reviews I had read, but enough that I had to keep a fairly firm hold on the wheel. We were done at that point. Aside from that one issue, I give them a big thumbs up though. Also in case you didn't know, Kia owns a part of Hyundai and the Sonata and Optima are based on the same platform.

10. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    I'm interested to see how they hold up in 5 years! We'll see!

11. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    That's my big questionmark as well. But that should be just in time to help me inform my decision when it comes time to shop a new daily driver...

12. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    DTFtacoma

DTFtacoma Dezert Toy Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner D-cab
    DTF LT front & rear
    My gf owns a 08 Hyundai good little car gets bad ass gas mileage. Waaaay better than my taco on 35's lol

13. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    I drove a 2008 Kia Spectra 4cyl 5 speed for two years before I traded it in on the Tacoma. Honestly, I loved that little car. So much fun to drive with the 5 speed and amazing MPG's. I dropped a K&N filter in it and switched it over to Mobil 1 full synthetic on the first oil change and went from 33 mpg hwy, to 35, then with the K&N filter it was so close to 36 but never could get it, never the less, 35mpg on the highway is damn nice.

The car was loaded for the price, got it for around $16,000 and it had lots of power options, windows, locks, pretty nice interior and a nice overall interior setup as far as where everything was located.

Only problem I had was with a rear door window seal. It leaked a lot of rain water inside and got into the rear floorboards. They fixed it, got all the water out, replaced what they needed to and that was that. It was done in a day.

Back in the day Kia's sucked but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one today, or suggest one to a friend. Keep it up!

14. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    Hyundai was covered in my recent management 302 course. They are taking a page out of japans book and going for very high quality, copying alot of the japanese processes and whatnot. They quadrupled the size of thier quality control department.

15. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Relevant though that may be to long term owners, the reason they're in their ascendancy right now is primarily a favorable exchange rate.

Again, just like in the 1980s a weak Yen meant that Toyota and Honda could sell a car with $20,000 of quality for $15,000, the South Koreans can now offer you a $30,000 car for $22,000 and still be profitable.

Their time, in economic terms, has simply arrived. Get ready to see a *LOT* more of them over the next decade.

16. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    For the record, Hyundai's 10 year 100k warranty is the real deal. We had a brand new 2000 Elantra, lost it in a roll over & bought a slightly used 2002 Elantra (11k) no issues at all till it had a speed sensor in the trans. go out at 160k, Hyundai covered 100% parts & labor even though technically it was out of warranty by a bunch, but apparently there was a TSB on this particular part, seems like they stood behind their product 100% also...:cool:

17. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    That true. I have seen some huge nice looking cars, and im like what is that?? And it turns out to be a Hyundai or Kia, And im like DAMN. But i guess we ll see how long they last.:confused:

18. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    Some of their new cars look really nice. I haven't ridden in any, but they definitely look good.

19. Mar 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    You would be very surprised.

I work with two Hyundai owners and they swear by them. My supervisor drives a '07 Santa Fe with 60k on the odo and that little SUV still feels like it was right off of the lot, no rattles or squeaks. He also owns an old Tiburon with over 200k and at 140k the windshiels washer pump went out. He took it to the dealer to get it replaced and the covered it under warranty even though he was 40k past the warrany.

I'm a huge Toyota fan but I honestly feel that Hyundai and Kia are taking the quality and customer service to a level way past what Toyota or Honda offer. If they offered a truck similar to the Tacoma I'd seriously consider looking into it.

I've heard about that from numerous people.

20. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    Wish they were doing compact pickup trucks for the US market. :eek: (Give me a few not so laughable options, make Toyota step their game up...)

Products Discussed in

To Top