Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Where is the Hood Insulation?

Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Banned
Sixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kreg
Sixfeathers's Tacoma Gallery
Where is the Hood Insulation?

Why is it that all other manufacture's of vehicles use insulation attached to the underside of the hoods and I haven't seen a new truck on here with one? Seems like it would absorb the road and engine noise. Any ideas on this?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There isn't one on Tacomas.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
that's his question I think... "Why" isn't there one?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Oh. Idk. Add some dynomat.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh. Idk. Add some dynomat.
will that stand up to the heat under the hood?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
will that stand up to the heat under the hood?
I think they have a heat resistant one.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Banned
Sixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Well go figure. That is why I was asking the question? Do you not find that odd?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixfeathers View Post
Well go figure. That is why I was asking the question? Do you not find that odd?
Nah. Not really. I'm glad I don't have one. They fall apart anytime they get wet.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Banned
My Charger has one that is like some sort of composite or maybe more of a plastic felt. I was just curious. I was under my hood this morning and I just wondered if mine was missing. I know they put them on the first generation trucks.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
old tacoma man is on a distinguished road
old tacoma man's Tacoma Gallery
i was looking for some under hood insulation came across product at jegs.com has a universal hood insultation looks good might try ! Anyone ever use this ????
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I understand the hood insulation is NOT for sound purposes. If it was to quiet things down it would be made out of a very dense material like mass loaded vinyl. However, it's actually made out of fiberglass in most cases I'm pretty sure.

I'm pretty sure it's only purpose is to smother engine fires. The plastic pins are supposed to melt so it falls onto the engine allowing the passengers additional time to get out of the car.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
So maybe Toyota was like, "Yeah.....our engines don't catch fire."