Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Daily Driver/Track-Day car

View Poll Results: Which daily driver/ track-day car would you pick for under 20k?
e36 BMW m3 24 17.02%
Subaru WRX STI 80 56.74%
Audi S4 12 8.51%
Porsche (Name a model) 3 2.13%
something else 22 15.60%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals
Blumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Blumpkinson's Tacoma Gallery
Daily Driver/Track-Day car

I'm currently going to school for mechanical engineering, when i finally graduate and hopefully get a job i'm buying myself a present for making it.

First off i'm definitely keeping my truck, i just really wan't something fast that i can take to the NJ motorsports park on weekends or autocross. While also being able to use it as a daily driver, since the xtra-cab taco is a pain in the ass with more than one passenger.

I've been looking at European/japanese sports cars, since i've driven and loved Bmw ,audi, subaru, etc. Depending on my job my budget will be somewhere in the 15-20k range. It will definitely be used, because of the budget. I will definitely be upgrading suspension, brakes, engine(exhaust,intake,cams....)probably keep it n/a if it doesn't have a turbo/sc stock, tires/rims, and i'm sure many other things with time.

Here is the criteria:

Would really like to fit 4 comfortably
solid manual transmission
reliable
Good handling stock
Easy to upgrade
200+ hp stock
Easy to maintain/little maintenance
Old 04-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Canadian144 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Canadian144's Tacoma Gallery
Haha I'm a little biased on this subject.

I don't think you can go wrong with a WRX/STI. Or Evo for that matter. Anything German (E36 M3 sedan, S4, etc) will cost you an arm and a leg in maintenance. Buying used German sports cars is scarier than jumping in a snake pit IMO. And I hate snakes.

A WRX or STI will meet all of your needs. The STI makes roughly 300hp stock (at the crank), I believe about 240 or 230 at the wheels (big power loss with an AWD drivetrain). If you add a Cobb Accessportwith a Stage 2 map and an aftermarket downpipe or full turbo-back exhaust (most do both Accessport and downpipe at the same time), you will be making nearly 300hp at the wheels (some dynos have shown more, some have shown less). From there you can go into upgrading the turbo, injectors, intercooler, etc etc. Though the more you modify it, the less reliable it becomes. Honestly a Stage 2 STI will be more than powerful enough for any situation. Even a stock STI is an amazingly quick car and reliable car. You can fit 4 pretty comfortably, and the stock 6-speed is one of the nicest manuals transmissions out there. Really you don't need to do too much tot he rest of the car.... stiffer springs maybe, and better tires. Stock brakes will stop you on a dime.

If you have any more Scooby related questions feel free to ask away. Best two Subaru forums are probably NASIOC and IWSTI.

Shit though.... I'm just a 17 year old, what the hell do I know.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
2010accesscab4x4 is on a distinguished road
2010accesscab4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to fit 4 people at all i would stay away from porsche.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010accesscab4x4 View Post
If you want to fit 4 people at all i would stay away from porsche.
Plus maintenance = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

And daily-driving a Porsche would be interesting.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Love Porsche but not for a DD and especially not with what you'd have to go with for your price range. I'm actually torn between the 3 other options I like them all. If it were me personally I'd probably put them M3, S4, then STI(not saying that's the best to worst really just the order in which I'd pick them). It's very close though and I'd be happy with either.

I'd also like a Genesis coupe track model. Not sure if you like those and not sure what they go for used and they've only been out a couple years.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: luke
luk3's Tacoma Gallery
Audi TT
Old 04-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
B5 S4
Old 04-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk3 View Post
Audi TT
That's a 2-seater......
Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
skeeert
CopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kins
CopyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
RX-8 ALL DAY
Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
I voted STI and im gonna add EVO also, thats what i would get, i think it might be a little hard to get a new one for that price, i think you could find an 04-05 which personally are my favorite body styles
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmokintacoma View Post
mustang gt
yes with this motor in it!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
Blumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the input guys, i think it's really between the m3 and the Sti. It will be probably 2 years before i can justify/afford having 2 vehicles. It's just something to look foward to/ keep me going, while studying for courses like calc 5, instead of getting trashed all the time.

I know the m3 isn't as fast, reliable or track ready as the sti. However, its is really fun car to drive (also in my opinion gorgeous) and i could have alot of fun kicking the ass end out on a track. I've never driven the sti, just a forester, which handles surprisingly well. Anybody have any experience with either of these cars on a track?

I feel like having an awd car for track racing might ruin some of the fun, especially with the understeer the awd system causes.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm looking for the same thing but I'm only working with a 5K budget. I'm stuck between a MR2 or Miata. Since you have a larger budget you have the option of a Mazdaspeed Miata.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
bluescoops will become famous soon enoughbluescoops will become famous soon enough
bluescoops's Tacoma Gallery
sti all day, it has a driver controlled differential so you can put more power to the back. I have a 2000 subaru 2.5rs with a massive sway bar in the back and it's much more tail happy
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
krytikel is on a distinguished road
krytikel's Tacoma Gallery
Hey how come the evo didn't make it on the list . I have had some of those cars on the list including an evo and a STI and I have to say the evo would be the best bang for your buck. they are easy to upgrade, cheap, and the engine bay is built like a honda so its easy to work on the car and everything is accessible, plus there's an abundance of used parts, modified or stock. plus it doesn't hurt to have all that trunk space and seating for 5 people.. Although I gotta say you haven't lived until you have torn apart a Porsche or an STI or AUDI. Just food for though unless you have someone else doing your maintenance and upgrades. The M3 is easy to work on but you will instantly run into cooling and electrical problems especially when you start to upgrade. If I had my way I would be back in a 8 or a 9 evo, just my 2 cents.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm looking for the same thing but I'm only working with a 5K budget. I'm stuck between a MR2 or Miata. Since you have a larger budget you have the option of a Mazdaspeed Miata.
I've got a friend with a bone stock miata that he uses for auto-x and it does amazing. I would love to buy one but the 2 seats kind of kills it for me( same reason the honda s2000 wasn't in the poll). Being as my taco is the extra- cab it's a joke fitting anyone in the back.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go for the STi no doubt. I've always loved 'em.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by krytikel View Post
Hey how come the evo didn't make it on the list . I have had some of those cars on the list including an evo and a STI and I have to say the evo would be the best bang for your buck. they are easy to upgrade, cheap, and the engine bay is built like a honda so its easy to work on the car and everything is accessible, plus there's an abundance of used parts, modified or stock. plus it doesn't hurt to have all that trunk space and seating for 5 people.. Although I gotta say you haven't lived until you have torn apart a Porsche or an STI or AUDI. Just food for though unless you have someone else doing your maintenance and upgrades. The M3 is easy to work on but you will instantly run into cooling and electrical problems especially when you start to upgrade. If I had my way I would be back in a 8 or a 9 evo, just my 2 cents.
I would be doing all the work myself along with some friends paid in food/beer. I've had some bad experiences with mitsubishi, i would definitely test drive both though before buying. Theres just something about driving an m3, i've driven my friends numerous times and each time i drive it i love it even more. As for running into problems w/ the m3, my buddy that owns the m3 was a BMW mechanic for a few years so he could definitely lend a hand when it comes to problems.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumpkinson View Post
I've got a friend with a bone stock miata that he uses for auto-x and it does amazing. I would love to buy one but the 2 seats kind of kills it for me( same reason the honda s2000 wasn't in the poll). Being as my taco is the extra- cab it's a joke fitting anyone in the back.
Yeah I understand. My other choice would be a 06 GTO. An AWD car would be nice but RWD is more fun.

Oh and I didn't see the poll from my phone.