Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Subaru?

Old 09-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Subaru?

I'm considering getting a Subaru for my wife, more specifically a Legacy Sedan. I've always heard good things about them, but I've never owned one. Are there any members of TW that are experienced long time Subaru owners? Can anyone recommend a friendly Subaru forum where I can ask some questions?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Consumer Reports loves the subarus.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm going to look at an 07 Legacy tomorrow. All reviews I've seen are good, I'm more curious about quirks....the little things that only an experienced owner knows.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
I drove one for about 6 months when my boss sent me outta town. IT WAS AWESOME!! LOVEd it. Drove like a race car! She will love it.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
joe dirt just bought a subaru.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Hey T4L,

I owned a WRX not too long ago before the Taco came along. One of my best cars ever and the dealer treated me like god. My Subaru was built/assembled in Japan hence the quality/reliability is very good. I know some people who own these vehicles and they pay a premium to buy because they are build outside of North America. Excellent hunk of metal. Not very energy efficient but owners love them for the reliability. PM member "Jeff" for he had one for a long time and loved it.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #7

Here is the car I'm going to check out tomorrow. (sorry for the long-ass link, I don't have the skillz to make it shorter)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=57
edit: not as long as I thought
Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
Subarus are nice. The gas milage wont be very good because they are AWD and they are a pain to change sparkplugs on because Subarus engines use horizontally-opposed cylinders, but they are overall, very solid, well-built cars.
Another plus, Toyota partly owns Subaru. Last year Toyota bought GM's stake in Fuji Heavy Industries, which owns Subaru.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakemono View Post
Another plus, Toyota partly owns Subaru. Last year Toyota bought GM's stake in Fuji Heavy Industries, which owns Subaru.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakemono View Post
Subarus are nice. The gas milage wont be very good because they are AWD and they are a pain to change sparkplugs on because Subarus engines use horizontally-opposed cylinders, but they are overall, very solid, well-built cars.
IDK about "not very good" My buddy drives a WRX (turbo, turbo-back exhaust, flashed ECU) that gets 28mpg....my Scion (4cyl, 2L) gets 31. I'd say that's pretty good...

Everything I've ever hood was positive about them...Go for it!!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #11

All of the consumer reviews I looked at suggested high 20's and even some said 30+. I can live with that. My wifes CRV averages 22-23 and is quite a dissappointment in terms of MPG.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Red Razor has a spectacular aura aboutRed Razor has a spectacular aura about
Red Razor's Tacoma Gallery
My wife drives a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS. We bought it new. It's been a very good car for her. 80K+ miles on it right now, without any major problems. I can't comment on serviceability as I have the dealer do all that. My truck gets what free time I may have . It still has a strong motor and solid drivetrain. I just had the stock rotors replaced at 80k.

True, their mpg are down compared to similiar cars, but AWD is a good tradeoff.

I would recommend a Subaru to anyone. In fact, in a year or 2 we intend on replacing her Impreza with a Legacy sedan.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
bluescoops will become famous soon enoughbluescoops will become famous soon enough
bluescoops's Tacoma Gallery
i my self own 2 subarus. i have had a 2000 2.5rs for 6 years now and i will never sell it. i love that car. I bought my wife an 06 impreza 2 years ago asa well. as far as i am concerned they are some of the best cars on the road. my 2000 has taken a hell of a beating from me. everything from drag racing to off road racing and the only major repair has been the clutch at 90000. gas milage on both cars is 32 highway about 27 city depending on my foot.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
INAKOMA08
InaKoma08 will become famous soon enoughInaKoma08 will become famous soon enough

InaKoma08's Tacoma Gallery
I owned a 2006 WRX before I got my Tacoma. I have some pictures of it in my profile. It would have lasted longer if I had driven it the way it was supposed to be driven and didn'nt mod it like a mad man. Good car though. I miss it LOTS
Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I would trade my truck in for a WRX easily. For an RSTI even more easily.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
The Subies are great vehicles and if I were to go with the Legacy it would be an Outback.....the Impreza's are alot of fun for a more sporty ride.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
bdub85 is on a distinguished road

Marines:
bdub85's Tacoma Gallery
Subys are great cars. I've owned two (2006 wrx and 2007 STI), and I loved them both. Both were 11 second cars after I was done modding them. Here are some vids of my wrx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3An970NoXk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL-XGanmYaM

A legacy would be great. They are like Toyotas in how they run forever as long as you change the oil. Plus, you have the awd so you dont have to worry about getting stuck in snow or something.

I suggest checking out www.nasioc.com
Old 09-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My husband owned a 99 GT for years - similar to this one:
http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i6/07/k/00...?set_id=1C4000

His was RED with gold wheels. It was sweet!! After my husband had it, we sold it to his father, and after his father passed...sold it to a co-worker. It's still going strong.

Great cars! Awesome in the snow!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
red and gold is my 2nd favorite color combo on subys, first is white and gold.

In fact, about 2 years ago I was so close to getting a 02 red WRX. It had BBS RGR's on it (factory option) and I was going to sell it for gold wheels.

Proof that red and gold is amazing:
Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
sibanez is on a distinguished road
sibanez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sibanez
The non-turbo auto Legacy is a car that will last forever; most of the quirks you'll see are in the turbo autos (too much power) or with heavily modded cars. I have a 2004 Subaru WRX that has 73k miles and is going strong . . . I'm not sure I'd trade my Tacoma for it, but it is a fun car. I have seen a few of the later-model Legacy sedans make it to 250k miles, so it will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I'm considering getting a Subaru for my wife, more specifically a Legacy Sedan. I've always heard good things about them, but I've never owned one. Are there any members of TW that are experienced long time Subaru owners? Can anyone recommend a friendly Subaru forum where I can ask some questions?