Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

ATF went into OIL Filler

Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
ATF went into OIL Filler

Sooooo, I checked to oil in wifes car (volvo S40 Turbo) and it has almost no oil. go to the garage, grab the Castrol MaxLife, and start to pour into oil filler.

About halfway through the quart, I noticed that is is Automatic Transmission Fluid I am dumping in. (Inset flame here). In my defense the ATF and Maxlife oil have the same containers. Same color etc. I shoulda looked...

I stopped, cursed up a storm, and added a quart of oil thinking that I wanted to dilute the ATF. Also hid wifes keys so she does not try to start car.

My mechanic is about 5 miles away. If I run the car with the ATF and oil mixed, will I crater the engine? I do not have the necessary equipment to drain the oil.

I am open to advice, and yes, I realize my intelligence is about to be called in into question...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
PM Krazie SJ. Your first mistake was not dumping the tranny fluid into the coolant res.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
PM Krazie SJ. Your first mistake was not dumping the tranny fluid into the coolant res.
WIN. thread close?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, I wouldnt drive it, or start it for that matter. Drain the old shit out, and re fill with new, and you should be Ok.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Honestly, I wouldnt drive it, or start it for that matter. Drain the old shit out, and re fill with new, and you should be Ok.
x2, might as well change the filter as well.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammdogg View Post

My mechanic is about 5 miles away. If I run the car with the ATF and oil mixed, will I crater the engine? I do not have the necessary equipment to drain the oil.
All you need is a wrench and a couple of empty gallon containers.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
Thanks for the info guys, and for not razzing me too badly! I will call mechanic in morning, but my guess is I will be doing the full oil change. Will be interesting, as I have never changed the oil in that car.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're getting mean lately, you know that?

I guess it's true what they say, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
seksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brandon
seksilumpia's Tacoma Gallery
thoroughly drain everything out of that oil pan and just continue oil change as normal..i hope that works out for you..do what the mechanic says because im car retarded so i always ask 2nd or 3rd opinions before i do something just to make sure its ok
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
just dump it and put in fresh oil.

bonus points for you if you drain the tranny by mistake, trying to drain the tranny fluid out of the oil pan..BONUS!

good luck. just do it. easy, read the owner's manual.