Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Why a 4x4 in southern california?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Robbie will become famous soon enoughRobbie will become famous soon enough

Robbie's Tacoma Gallery
Why a 4x4 in southern california?

Hi all. As you may know my wife and I are considering relocating to Southern California. I purchased my 4 x 4 to get around these here Catskill Mountains in the snow and mud season.
I would like to ask the California owners of 4 x 4's if and when they switch to 4WD. I don't plan to do off road playtime...so, why 4x4???
Educate this eastern mountain boy.
We plan to visit the coast again this winter and i'll be counting the 4WD.
Many thanks in advance for our reply.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
my guess would be the beach, desert, and offroading. I don't know if there is driving allowed on any of the beaches over there.

I went to LA a few months ago and I was so close to renting a dune buggy and tearing it up at the dunes a few hours away.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
what part of Cali you moving to? It really just depends on the situation.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
I'm near downtown LA and i got a 4x4

I would never use it here in the city, but I'm always in the mountains during the winter (snowboarding). We don't get crazy snow storms here but having a 4x4 gives me peace of mind. Plus, I make a couple trips to Mammoth and Tahoe every year.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
there are plenty places around here to need the 4x4.. you got Pismo beach OHV area-- you can drive on the beach and camp. There are some dunes there, but nothing HUGE. Then you got Glamis (imperial sand dunes), you will definatley need 4x4. There are also mountain areas that could require 4x4. And on the off-chance that we actually get some rain, there are pieces of land that fill up with mud pretty quick, atleast in my area. I'm sure you won't use it as often here, but it's kinda like a condom - better to have it and not need it, rather than to not have it, and need it.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I had a 4x4. It's just nice to have in case you really need it.

I'm trading my PreRunner in in a few years for a 4x4.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #8

Robbie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
what part of Cali you moving to? It really just depends on the situation.
My wife is interested in Ventura County. She's looking for an area where I can still see mountains...(like here in the Catskills.)
I'm pretty much open, just wondering if I should consider selling my new 4x4 for a convertible (LOL).
My older son is in LA, my yonger son will be moving to the Frisco/Bay area sometime next year.

Many thanks to all that have replied...and all that will follow.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I am in ventura county...if you can help it - stay north of LA =)
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
I'm near downtown LA and i got a 4x4

I would never use it here in the city, but I'm always in the mountains during the winter (snowboarding). We don't get crazy snow storms here but having a 4x4 gives me peace of mind. Plus, I make a couple trips to Mammoth and Tahoe every year.
I agree. Its not like you will need to use it everytime but having it wont hurt.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
My wife is interested in Ventura County. She's looking for an area where I can still see mountains...(like here in the Catskills.)
I'm pretty much open, just wondering if I should consider selling my new 4x4 for a convertible (LOL).
My older son is in LA, my yonger son will be moving to the Frisco/Bay area sometime next year.

Many thanks to all that have replied...and all that will follow.
yea Nor Cal! represent
Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
I moved out here (L.A.) from Savoy, MA(Berkshires) about 8 years ago and I don't miss the Snowblower one bit! I just got the 4x4 this last month. Mountains are taller out here, some passes closed in the winter, others have mandantory chains, 4x4 helps. Doesn't rain often but when it does there is local flooding... I find as many excuses for my 4x4 as I can!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #13

Robbie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
I am in ventura county...if you can help it - stay north of LA =)
Oh no! My wife sez "what do you think of Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Agoura Hills, or Camarillo." She's breathing own my neck as I type this .
Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
Oh no! My wife sez "what do you think of Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Agoura Hills, or Camarillo." She's breathing own my neck as I type this .

My brother lives in Lost Hills. It is a nice area. Temps are on average about 10 degrees hotter than LA. All of those are Ventura County instead of LA county.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #15
╒╪╕

im in thousand oaks....westlake & agoura are probably the most expensive part of ventura (maybe except for santa barbara near the beach)...but also the nicest. It's full of soccer moms and teenagers driving bmw's lol

-- go to www.urbandictionary.com and do a search on these cities...their descriptions are actually pretty acurate! xD
Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
Tried to reply to PM but it says you are not currently accepting PM's..
Old 09-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #18

Robbie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip4x4Sport View Post
Tried to reply to PM but it says you are not currently accepting PM's..
I think i fixed it??? If not, can you e-mail me at the address given? Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Like everyone is saying it all depends on how you plan to use it. For me, I will be moving back to Reno where it snows. I was born and raised in southern Va so if its not a 4X4 in my mind its just not a truck. If you only need the bed space then go with a PreRunner. It all depends on the person however in my experience having a 4X4 when you go to sell it makes it much easier, you reach a much larger market and tend to make that extra money back. For me I have had my truck in 4X4 once for about 10' and I could have gotten out of the sand I just used the excuse to click it into 4X4.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
╒╪╕

i was playin around in 2 wheel drive and got stuck, then put it in 4x4 and still couldnt get out - the sand was extremely soft under the 1/4 thick layer of hard packed sand from the rain. I was too hard on the gas in 2 wheel and buried the back. had to be pulled out =(