Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

If 2wd is so good for snow, why our highways are clogged in winter?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
If 2wd is so good for snow, why our highways are clogged in winter?

I keep seeing posts how people manage in snow with 2wd. If thats true how come each winter our highways are clogged. Seriously since the gas price went up and people started switching to 2wd every winter is the same crap. little snow and highways goes to stand still. 10 years ago I used to maintain at least 30 MPH even during snow storm, plows were able to keep highway clean. Nobody had to be rescued. pretty much all cars were 4x4's. This year there were just too many 2wd cars clogging the highway. Side streets were even worst. Nothing more annoying then being stuck behind 2wd that is spinning wheels up the big hill.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
People are only justifying their purchase. Ya sure you can get around in snow in 2wd, but your either going to slow and pissing people off, or going to fast just to try and maintain traction uphill. Drove my parents 2wd F-250 all around the pikes peak area last christmas, and swore to myself I would never do it again if i didnt have to
Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
I remember one snow storm I was going up a 12%? grade (really steep, dont know real percentages but it seemed like 10-14) and a 2wd truck came flying down ass backwards and just barely missed me. Shit was scary but I think for most people 2wd is okay as long as they don't get much snow
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably something to do with fucking idiots thinking they need to have a phone stuck to their ear or be texting every second they are "attempting" to drive. Doubt snow would stop them from that shit.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No it's the 2wd issue.

DHK gets around fine in snow with 2wd and he can tow the world with the tiny 4 banger.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Canadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kim
Canadian Girl's Tacoma Gallery
My 2wd had no problem in Canadian Winter.....and I wasn't slower than anyone.....
Old 04-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Where I'm at, you would be hard pressed to find 2WD trucks or RWD for that matter out & about.
The 5 luggers I do see (part runners) use studs & sand tubes.
Have to admit I see a fair share of 4WD rigs cluttering up the median or hitting the guard rails on our interstates, not just the FWDs or 2 Wheel drivers.
Speed & junky tires contributes to the mess but yeah being behind someone spinning stinks!
I drove a lot this season in 2WD with studded winter tires.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
To answer OP's question, idiots.

you can have a 7000 wheel drive that can cruise at 150mph in snow and some dumbass will find a way to lock down an entire freeway with it
Old 04-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Dont have ill probably be repin a 2wd when i get a taco and i will have no shame with spinning tires
Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
but it also doesnt snow here so i wont get to see any tits...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
i can manage most of the winter with good winter tires and driving with the limited slip on. but i would never buy a truck with out 4x4 because you never know when your going to wake up to 3 feet of snow.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AC13JohnG's Tacoma Gallery
It's not a matter of 2 vs 4 wheel drive; the vast majority of people don't posses basic car control skills. They have fwd and rwd rally classes, those drivers have no issue keeping control of their vehicles. The average American can't drive for shit nor do they understand the value of a good set of tires. If your tires have 5/32 tread heading into fall you should replace them, or chances are you're going to loose controll of your vehicle and/or get stuck. Only one of the many vehicles I have owned has been 4wd and I've never been stuck in the snow. The problem is that we will give any idiot a drivers permit with minimal training and experience.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
I know the feeling last year a idiot decided to take his 09 vette out with 4 in. of snow LMAO when he slid into a 6 ft. ditch! dumbass should have stayed where he came from ( State i will not mention ) they dont get snow there!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
You should PM a member named KingFrog. He is an expert on this topic.