Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

MPG calculation wrong because speedo off?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
rizzo20 will become famous soon enoughrizzo20 will become famous soon enough

rizzo20's Tacoma Gallery
MPG calculation wrong because speedo off?

My TRD Sport reports my speed 2 mph faster than I'm really traveling. (speedo says 60 when my GPS says 58). It's accurate to assume that my odometer is incorrect because of this, correct? How can I figure out my true MPG?

I haven't modified a single thing with the drive train and the speedo is wrong straight from the factory. I haven't talked to the dealer yet but shouldn't they make this right?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #3

rizzo20's Tacoma Gallery
Does that mean the trip counter and odometer are correct?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
jgraham has a spectacular aura aboutjgraham has a spectacular aura about
jgraham's Tacoma Gallery
I've checked the speedo against my Scangauge and GPS. Scangauge data from the computer matches the GPS. It's the speedo needle that is off. Scangauge miles traveled have matched up to odo miles traveled and GPS miles traveled exactly as well, during trips of over 300 miles.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

rizzo20's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, thats all I need to know.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
This simple thread rocked!

Thank you OP, Brunes and jgraham. It was something I too was wondering about and with 7 posts, the answer was given with proof!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
jgraham has a spectacular aura aboutjgraham has a spectacular aura about
jgraham's Tacoma Gallery
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

I should also note that I'm running the stock Firestone Destination LE 215/70R15 tires on stock wheels.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
stock tires on my trd sport were 265/65/17, I just upgraded to 265/70/17's and my speedometer is now spot on.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
stock tires on my trd sport were 265/65/17, I just upgraded to 265/70/17's and my speedometer is now spot on.
Yet another fascinating revelation. I wonder if Toyota calibrated the speedometers with 70/17s instead of a 65/17s, changed and then forgot to re-calibrate.

I think I will be switching to 70/17s as well once I see no more use out of my Hockeypucks (aka Dunlops).
Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
lifer
bocna is on a distinguished road
bocna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
same here.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #12
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Which means you need to look at the computer outputs. Cause the discrepancy at the speedo needle comes from the digital to analog conversion and is a percentage. If your needle that means the input is off (at least I think it does...)
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Which means you need to look at the computer outputs. Cause the discrepancy at the speedo needle comes from the digital to analog conversion and is a percentage. If your needle that means the input is off (at least I think it does...)
I'm not sure what you are saying.. all I know is that the speedometer now agrees with the gps and the scan gauge, but before I got new tires the gps and scan gauge were the same and the truck's speedometer was off by a couple mph's
Old 05-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are saying.. all I know is that the speedometer now agrees with the gps and the scan gauge, but before I got new tires the gps and scan gauge were the same and the truck's speedometer was off by a couple mph's
That was the info I'm looking for...Not the answer I expected up-but it helps.