Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 cranks, no start

Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
TheHansen is on a distinguished road

TheHansen's Tacoma Gallery
97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 cranks, no start

Edit: Replaced the crank sensor and it started right up

Alright guys, Any help/ ideas on this would be great. My aunts jeep wouldn't start this morningd. First obvious issue was that the fuel pump was not turning on when key was turned to on. I did jump the relay and heard the fuel pump start up, so it is working. With the fuel pump jumped and running it still wouldn't start, so i checked spark. There was no spark, i checked with a multimeter and wasn't getting any voltage to the coil. That is as far as i am right now. I think it may be the crank position sensor because its the only thing i can think of that would connect the two. But wouldn't the fuel pump still turn on for a few seconds when the key is turned to on if the crank position sensor was bad?

Shortened version:
-Fuel pump doesn't run when key turned on, but does run when relay is jumped. Fuel gauge reading empty (not empty tank)
-No spark, and no power at coil
-Went through fuses, none blown
-Crank position sensor?

Any ideas or similar experience would be appreciated. I have to be up early tomorrow so i won't be able to reply until later in the day.
also i have a scan gauge so i will be checking for codes soon (didnt have time to pull the wire for it out today)