Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Driving a Manual Trans Downhill

Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
The Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant future
Name: James
The Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Driving a Manual Trans Downhill

My father and I were talking about this the other day and I just wanna know what you guys think/do. I have a manual trans in my taco and when I go down hills I like to shift out of gear and let gravity accelerate my car and take me down hill, using my brakes to control my speed if needed. I drive like this to save gas. My father likes to leave it in gear and let the trans control the speed down hill. He does this to extend the life of the brakes. Also he was a truck driver for 20+ years so it's just ingrained in him.

How do you go about driving your stick downhill?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I leave it in gear, or maybe even downshift a gear.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Always downshift and use engine braking. The ECU shuts off or limits the injector action when coasting so technically you are burning more gas by coasting in neutral. Also it is illegal to coast in neutral in some of not all states.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I leave it in gear, or maybe even downshift a gear.
Yup
Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Always downshift and use engine braking. The ECU shuts off or limits the injector action when coasting so technically you are burning more gas by coasting in neutral. Also it is illegal to coast in neutral in some of not all states.
how do they know im coasting in neutral? is there a neutral detector i dont know about?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
how do they know im coasting in neutral? is there a neutral detector i dont know about?
Hey. That is just how it is. If they really wanted to know they can just open their window and have a listen.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
What if your driving a prius...they wouldnt be able to hear you...
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Banned
I think the engine runs in neutral on a Prius.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the grade/length of a hill. I always figured if I'm doing 2k rpm versus 1200rpm the lower rpms would burn less gas. If I'm going down the side of a mountain I'm downshifting to save the brakes. I'd rather burn a little more gas than lose my brakes and fly off the edge of a mountain. But then again here in the DC 'burbs I don't have to worry much about mountains. Don't have to worry much about hills for that matter either.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Then shouldnt all Prius going downhill get pulled over for coasting in neutral?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Then shouldnt all Prius going downhill get pulled over for coasting in neutral?
no because I've never heard of a cop actually enforcing that law.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Banned
When you have the selector in drive there is a direct between the wheels and the engine/motor. In neutral there is no connection.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If you went down all the hills around here with brakes only and not downshift , your brakes wouldn't last long .
Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Almost there

Im just being an asshole, i really could care less lol
Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
Banned
I know you are. I'm glad there are others like me. So technically you could get a ticket for shifting gears since you are in neutral when you push the clutch in.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
The Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant futureThe Big O has a brilliant future
Name: James
The Big O's Tacoma Gallery
I should have specified a little more... a hill to me may not be the same as a hill to some of you out on the west coast... If I'm on the highway and I see a 1/2 mile of straight downhill ahead of me I'll take it out of gear and coast down the hill instead of leaving it in gear

also there is a stretch of road on my way home from school that is about a mile long and a gradual downhill.. I can stay our of gear and maintain 35-40mph all the way down instead of leaving it in gear @ 2500 RPM's
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Banned
I would still leave it in gear. Add a little throttle to keep the ECU out of engine braking mode.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I know you are. I'm glad there are others like me. So technically you could get a ticket for shifting gears since you are in neutral when you push the clutch in.
haha ya i was bein a ass to sorry lol good point about the shifting thing. some laws i wonder why they even bothered to create ya know?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Banned
Oh I know how they can give you a ticket for being neutral. They can make a radar gun that detects engine RPM. Also even if you aren't speeding they can give you a ticket for having too high of an RPM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Oh I know how they can give you a ticket for being neutral. They can make a radar gun that detects engine RPM. Also even if you aren't speeding they can give you a ticket for having too high of an RPM.
bahahah next there gonna start givin tickets for your shades being to dark