Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

open differential

Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
ne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erick Iglesias
ne0tas's Tacoma Gallery
open differential

Sup bros, I have a question. Right nao I do not have a truck or anything but I am driving my grandmas truck which is a 2003 Nissan Frontier ext. Cab short bed 2wd . I want to do a little offroading soon and I have about a grand...what I want to get is a 3 inch lift which I will pay on my own, and convince my grandma to get some 285's all retain tires for it. Because the tires are running a bit low, about 35 in the back and 27 in front.
It has an open differential, sadly..but since my dad wont let me use his truck (1992 toyota pickup 4wd) I want to see if my open differential will cause any /serious/ drawbacks? I know it will already suck but how will it perform on the off-road?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Use alot of the skinny pedal, and remember speed is your friend, momentum will carry some of the way.

If all else fails remember: skinny pedal to the floor, shift to R skinny pedal to the floor, shift to D skinny pedal to the floor and repeat lol
Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Why dont you just wheel it stock... and save your money.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
ne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ne0tas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Use alot of the skinny pedal, and remember speed is your friend, momentum will carry some of the way.

If all else fails remember: skinny pedal to the floor, shift to R skinny pedal to the floor, shift to D skinny pedal to the floor and repeat lol
Seems like it can fix all of lifes problems lol

Does your tacoma have open or limited differential??
Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #5

ne0tas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
Why dont you just wheel it stock... and save your money.
I can barely make it up the driveway without losing traction.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0tas View Post
Seems like it can fix all of lifes problems lol

Does your tacoma have open or limited differential??
Ive got the trd off road 4x4 with the e locker, its open dif until it slips then sensors make it limited (theres more to it but thats it in a nut shell). My old taco was a sr5 prerunner the few times i went off road in it, it didnt go so well haha luckily my dad was there to get me out .
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0tas View Post
I can barely make it up the driveway without losing traction.
So why wheel it at all? Save your money and buy a tacoma. No reason to dump a grand you dont need to.. Im not to knowledgable on frontiers but can tehy fit 285's with 3" lift? I know we can... but not sure if they can.

How old are you?

And why is this in the 2nd gen section? Shouldnt it be in offroad?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Yeah if it isn't your truck then don't spend cash. Also this is Tacoma World not I wish I had a Tacoma but I only have a Frontier World.

But seriously save your money. Why break something that isn't yours? Then you will end up in a hole.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Tires will make the biggest impact on a 2wd open diff. that said I say leave it stock. Why risk breaking your grandmother's truck or lift it and make it harder for her to get into? Save up some cash and buy one of your own. Maybe offer your dad some cash for his
Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #10

ne0tas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
Tires will make the biggest impact on a 2wd open diff. that said I say leave it stock. Why risk breaking your grandmother's truck or lift it and make it harder for her to get into? Save up some cash and buy one of your own. Maybe offer your dad some cash for his
Yeah..guess everyone is right..lol ill just sell some stuff and see if I can get a few more bucks to get a old 4wd pickup or something. Thank god for craigslist^-^

Some guy actually offered 6k for it :0