Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Engine Dies When Coming To A Stop

Old 05-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Start at the cheap and work toward expensive. Do a vaccum, fuel pressure, exhaust back backpressure, and spark test. By doing these tests, you will narrow down the list of suspects. Right now... The list is very long.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Start at the cheap and work toward expensive. Do a vaccum, fuel pressure, exhaust back backpressure, and spark test. By doing these tests, you will narrow down the list of suspects. Right now... The list is very long.
That's what I figured, just seeing if anything has a higher chance of being the culprit. The thing that's confusing me though is that the Check Engine Light isn't even on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Automatic??

Torque converter might be locking up.....
Yep, it's an automatic, might have to look into that.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Might want to also check the distributor (I think it has one? ). Honda's are notorious for those going bad.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Might want to also check the distributor (I think it has one? ). Honda's are notorious for those going bad.
That's a good idea, but wouldn't it randomly die whenever? Not just when coming to a stop or not starting?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
That's a good idea, but wouldn't it randomly die whenever? Not just when coming to a stop or not starting?

Possibly. But when diagnosing an intermittent problem you should consider all possibilities. Honestly the distributor would be the last thing to try since they are very expensive.

I work in a used car department at a local dealership. I see these Hondas come through all the time and at least half of them have a new distributor, cap, rotor, & wires on them..... just my .02
Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Possibly. But when diagnosing an intermittent problem you should consider all possibilities. Honestly the distributor would be the last thing to try since they are very expensive.

I work in a used car department at a local dealership. I see these Hondas come through all the time and at least half of them have a new distributor, cap, rotor, & wires on them..... just my .02
Sounds good, thanks man
Old 05-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
Tckwarrior is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Tckwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fuel pump
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Check for a Vacuum leak first. The EGR gasket is a common place for vacuum leaks. The easiest way to test is to spray carb & choke cleaner at various spots where you think it might be leaking and it you hear a slight change in revs (carb cleaner being combusted) That's where your leak is.

Change the cap and rotor...might as well and they're cheap. < $30 and replace the plugs while you're at it. I wouldn't worry about the wires. It's very rare for OEM Honda plug wires to go bad.

Remove the IACV and clean it out with some carb and choke cleaner (replace gasket when doing so)
Remove the EGR valve clean it with carb and choke cleaner (replace the gasket also)
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Check for a Vacuum leak first. The EGR gasket is a common place for vacuum leaks. The easiest way to test is to spray carb & choke cleaner at various spots where you think it might be leaking and it you hear a slight change in revs (carb cleaner being combusted) That's where your leak is.

Change the cap and rotor...might as well and they're cheap. < $30 and replace the plugs while you're at it. I wouldn't worry about the wires. It's very rare for OEM Honda plug wires to go bad.

Remove the IACV and clean it out with some carb and choke cleaner (replace gasket when doing so)
Remove the EGR valve clean it with carb and choke cleaner (replace the gasket also)
Might have to do this when I have time this weekend
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check the spark plugs are tight.

Steve
Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Check the spark plugs are tight.

Steve
I thought about all these but is there a reason that it is only dieing when it's coming to a stop? If it was something to do with the spark plugs or the igniting of the fuel wouldn't it die randomly at anytime? From the way my friend described it, I'm assuming the engine stalled, but it's an automatic. And sometimes it just won't start
Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i would first check and clean the screen in the IACV.when it wont start does it have spark or no fuel?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
x2. I had an old car that would quit at a stop light unless you took it out of gear (automatic). Turned out to be a solenoid in the transmission. If you put it in neutral and glide to a stop, would it still stall out? That same car I had also had issues with the ECU, it would randomly shut off for no reason. We got rid of it because it wasn't worth the issues. You problem could be much simplier, hard to diagnose over the internet...
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2. I had an old car that would quit at a stop light unless you took it out of gear (automatic). Turned out to be a solenoid in the transmission. If you put it in neutral and glide to a stop, would it still stall out? That same car I had also had issues with the ECU, it would randomly shut off for no reason. We got rid of it because it wasn't worth the issues. You problem could be much simplier, hard to diagnose over the internet...
I'll try putting it in neutral. Thanks. I'm just trying to get a few ideas
Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
You could have M&M's in the gas tank...maybe one gets lodged in the fuel rail when coming to a stop then unblocks once you start moving forward.

I know it's a stretch...but anything is possible.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good idea. Thanks man
if the screen is clogged that will make it die at idle only.if the motor is shutting off and not starting back up,something else is going on.first check for spark(with a spark plug checker)sometimes they can fire across a plug but not be hot enough to run.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
You could have M&M's in the gas tank...maybe one gets lodged in the fuel rail when coming to a stop then unblocks once you start moving forward.

I know it's a stretch...but anything is possible.
So true. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
if the screen is clogged that will make it die at idle only.if the motor is shutting off and not starting back up,something else is going on.first check for spark(with a spark plug checker)sometimes they can fire across a plug but not be hot enough to run.
Sounds good, I'll check it out