Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

How accurate are police investigations of speed after an accident?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
How accurate are police investigations of speed after an accident?

Hi all,
Just curious as to how accurate a traffic officer's investigation is in terms of vehicle speed after an accident?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Oh there HAS to be a backstory to this....
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Need story first.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Oh there HAS to be a backstory to this....
Old 05-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
I LOVE this shit! I read headlines on TW like this everyday...CNN does have squat on us!

Oh do tell...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Good question for the LEO's. I think Tigerfan has training in that area. It's also basic physics, so I'd say it's pretty accurate.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
im guessin op was doin 90 mph, 144 km/h
Old 05-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
I want to see pics of his truck...recent pics!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
tommyc is on a distinguished road
Name: tommy
tommyc's Tacoma Gallery
Well dude the police officer is going to take everything into account, he/she needs to come to a conclusion and then write the accident report based upon what information was given to them and make there own assessment of what they think happened. so once it has been written there is no changing it.

But more detail is needed to give you a correct response.. so spill it
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Trooper
Name: Blake
2010nctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just depends on all the factors involved. Actually kind of easy to find a minimum speed if there is a yaw mark left on the road(when a car starts to rotate. Back tires start to track outside the front ones). Just find the friction of the tires and roadway with a drag sled. The find the radius and then put it into the formula. Sounds complicated but really not that bad. But most officers probably guess, unless its a bad wreck.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hahah you guys are funny man. Well, basically I was driving, somehow took my eyes off the road, next thing I know I'm crashing into not one, but TWO light poles. I swear to this day I remember only doing 55 mph. (Speed limit was 50 mph.) The traffic officer wrote me a citation for 70 mph in a 50 mph.

What's so difficult about the situation is that I don't really doubt the officer's investigation but I seriously do not remember doing 70 and the fastest I drive would be 5 over the limit. Always.

Well that's the story.

Oh and the brakes were not even touched until after I went off the road, I guess I panicked and didn't even know what the hell was happening so I never hit them. I'm not sure if the officer took this into account.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Trooper
Name: Blake
2010nctaco's Tacoma Gallery
S=3.86√r(f+-e)

S=speed @beginning of yaw
R=radius of yaw mark
f=coefficient of friction
e=superelevation or bank of roadway

Here is the formula for a spinout. Maybe this will help you. Sorry, I love reconstruction. My thing.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
From my one experience with this, I would have to say they are horribley inaccurate. Buddy, hit a pole at 15mph (while doing a burnout), cops said he was doing 50+ becuse of the marks on the ground... which were burnout marks, not brake marks...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
From my one experience with this, I would have to say they are horribley inaccurate. Buddy, hit a pole at 15mph (while doing a burnout), cops said he was doing 50+ becuse of the marks on the ground... which were burnout marks, not brake marks...
This is what I'm afraid of. The whole situation was odd because they barely questioned me about the incident and they allowed two witnesses to leave without a statement.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
chvymechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
chvymechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chvymechanic
I had a very serious accident back in 2006. I fell asleep and drifted lanes went off the road flipped it twice and rolled it 4 times, since I was asleep I never hit the brakes and there were no yaw marks. Anyways cops did their thing reconstructed the accident and came to the conclusion I was doing 90 mph (posted speed is 45mph). I denied this and said I was doing 45mph. It was later proved that I was indeed doing 45mph, the computer in my vehicle recorded it since I had my cruise control set. So I got off with no ticket. The whole cop reconstruction was complete bullshit!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvymechanic View Post
I had a very serious accident back in 2006. I fell asleep and drifted lanes went off the road flipped it twice and rolled it 4 times, since I was asleep I never hit the brakes and there were no yaw marks. Anyways cops did their thing reconstructed the accident and came to the conclusion I was doing 90 mph (posted speed is 45mph). I denied this and said I was doing 45mph. It was later proved that I was indeed doing 45mph, the computer in my vehicle recorded it since I had my cruise control set. So I got off with no ticket. The whole cop reconstruction was complete bullshit!
Damn man, that's crazy. Being off by 45 mph is a pretty huge margin, can't believe they were off by that much. What kind of car did you have when you crashed? My cruise control wasn't set so I probably can't use that, unless it's recorded anyway.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
Scott78 is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
Scott78's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010nctaco View Post
S=3.86√r(f+-e)

R=radius of yaw mark

Here is the formula for a spinout. Maybe this will help you. Sorry, I love reconstruction. My thing.
I think you're missing the d for distance....
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010nctaco View Post
S=3.86√r(f+-e)

R=radius of yaw mark

I never actually spunout. I basically went onto the curb in a straight path and completely took out two light poles, parallel to the road. Hope that made sense.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
chvymechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
chvymechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chvymechanic
I had a 2000 Chevy S-10. I didn't think that truck could keep record of it but hey I didn't get a ticket so I guess it could. The cops were real eager to give me a ticket since I had a really bad driving record (speeding tickets) that the only accident I have ever been in. So I am glad it could and really glad I had set my cruise.