LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Tow rig and daily driver

Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Tow rig and daily driver

I am going to be picking up another vehicle within the next year. I want it to be able to tow my truck/car and get decent gas mileage. I also want it to be used, less than 3 years old.

I have been leaning towards the new 2011 F150, 5.0 V8, Super Crew. I have read up on it and it seems to get around the same gas mileage as the EcoBoost, with less of a fluctuation in MPGs. Keeping the truck out of boost seems very important for high MPGs. The F150 is awesome inside and out, and it will be able to tow efficiently when I need it.

My Girlfriend will also be driving this vehicle and she would prefer an SUV. I like the new options on the 4Runner Trail. Would the 4Runner would be enough when towing my truck and trailer?

In the price range of >$40,000, what daily drivable, tow rigs, would you be looking at?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
F150 or Silverado for gassers. Any of the 3 diesels if I wanted a diesel.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
If you're considering a diesel, avoid the 6.4 liter Fords. There's a reason they were only in production for 3 years.

If you go older, be careful with the 6.0 Fords. They're outstanding engines after they've been upgraded, but getting them to that point costs thousands. First hand experience with that, but I'm thrilled with the truck at this point.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
If you're considering a diesel, avoid the 6.4 liter Fords. There's a reason they were only in production for 3 years.

If you go older, be careful with the 6.0 Fords. They're outstanding engines after they've been upgraded, but getting them to that point costs thousands. First hand experience with that, but I'm thrilled with the truck at this point.
Yes! 7.3 was badass and so were the later years of the 6.0. The 6.4 was junk and I'm not sure what is going on with the 6.7. Of course if you want a gasser then none of what mjp2 and I have been saying matters.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Most of the diesel trucks are a bit too big for what I need. Are the diesel trucks getting 20+ MPG?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
Most of the diesel trucks are a bit too big for what I need. Are the diesel trucks getting 20+ MPG?
Eh. Depends on the driver of course. I have always seen the Chevy's get the better numbers.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
BRT

I think I have it narrowed down to a 2010+ Tundra Crew Cab Limited or a 2011 (possibly new) F150 XLT Super Crew, 5.0L. I haven't driven the Tundra, it seems like a much taller truck. When I drove the new F150, it didn't seem much higher than my Tacoma.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think I have it narrowed down to a 2010+ Tundra Crew Cab Limited or a 2011 (possibly new) F150 XLT Super Crew, 5.0L. I haven't driven the Tundra, it seems like a much taller truck. When I drove the new F150, it didn't seem much higher than my Tacoma.
my dad's '08 tundra double cab barely gets 15mpg. it's great for towing, but man does it suck on gas.

i used to own a '04 silverado 5.3L, great power, decent towing, it with mostly highway driving, i was able to avg. around 19-20mpg.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
BRT

The new F150s are very new, but it seems the 5.0 is able to average 20mpg, if you have a light foot. That is only about 10% less than what I am getting now but will fit four people a lot easier.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
The new F150s are very new, but it seems the 5.0 is able to average 20mpg, if you have a light foot. That is only about 10% less than what I am getting now but will fit four people a lot easier.
I would cruise the forums to see what they really get.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
sweet jesus, i knew the ecoboost f150's were cool, but I just now realized that it gets better mileage than my little tacoma!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
BRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I would cruise the forums to see what they really get.
Thats what I meant. I was reading the forums and the 5.0L gets around 20MPG average. The EPA rates them as high as 25MPG on the freeway.

The EcoBoost gets decent gas mileage as well, but when you get in to boost the MPGs drop quick. I have a light foot, but if I had twin turbos, I would use them .
Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #13
I'm a Believer.
bluecollarguy7007 is on a distinguished road
Army: 214th Aviation. Regmt.
bluecollarguy7007's Tacoma Gallery
Tow rig and daily driver

We recently picked up a 2011 F150 Crew 4X4 that I use when not in my business truck as a driver, to tow the Boy Scout 16' enclosed or my 6 X 14' for hunting. Made a run from here (DFW TX) to Shreveport LA & drove it just like gas is now $3+ / gallon w/ the cruise on 70 & got a 19.6 avg the same week I got it to put the 1st 500 miles on it.
Have since pull the Scout trailer a couple of times & do like the truck handles & pulls it especially in the tow/haul mode. Also made a run to Wichita KS & back pulling my 6 X 14 dual axle. Empty on the N-bound run empty w/ a good tail wind & on cruise @ 70 & used right at 1/2 a tank. Loaded return in head wind & 3/4 tank for that run. Sorry I do not have the exact miles traveled but the heads up said a avg' of 16+ going & just over 14 on the return run. No, it will not out pull mine or anyone else's diesel but was impressed w/ the torque for a gasser while pulling the loaded trailer on hills & such for limited down shifts & it not coming close to sounding as if the engine is coming out from under neath the hood even when crossing the Arbuckels so for me Ford has delivered on what it says the new 2011 5.0 will do & that is why I bought it in the first place. As w/ all 3 of our trucks which are a 02 Duramax for my business, the 08 Tacoma 4X4 TRD & now the 2011 F150 we buy & use them for much more than hauling a few backsides & 6 bag of groceries. Good luck in making your choices.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #14
BRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarguy7007 View Post
We recently picked up a 2011 F150 Crew 4X4 that I use when not in my business truck as a driver, to tow the Boy Scout 16' enclosed or my 6 X 14' for hunting. Made a run from here (DFW TX) to Shreveport LA & drove it just like gas is now $3+ / gallon w/ the cruise on 70 & got a 19.6 avg the same week I got it to put the 1st 500 miles on it.
Have since pull the Scout trailer a couple of times & do like the truck handles & pulls it especially in the tow/haul mode. Also made a run to Wichita KS & back pulling my 6 X 14 dual axle. Empty on the N-bound run empty w/ a good tail wind & on cruise @ 70 & used right at 1/2 a tank. Loaded return in head wind & 3/4 tank for that run. Sorry I do not have the exact miles traveled but the heads up said a avg' of 16+ going & just over 14 on the return run. No, it will not out pull mine or anyone else's diesel but was impressed w/ the torque for a gasser while pulling the loaded trailer on hills & such for limited down shifts & it not coming close to sounding as if the engine is coming out from under neath the hood even when crossing the Arbuckels so for me Ford has delivered on what it says the new 2011 5.0 will do & that is why I bought it in the first place. As w/ all 3 of our trucks which are a 02 Duramax for my business, the 08 Tacoma 4X4 TRD & now the 2011 F150 we buy & use them for much more than hauling a few backsides & 6 bag of groceries. Good luck in making your choices.
Thanks for the post. I plan to keep the F150 for a long time. It will make it easier to have more toys in the future. Currently I would like to be able to tow my truck to some of the local shops (4x4, custom stereo, etc) and leave it there. Most are the shops are 1-3 hours away.

My GF would also like to get a small boat and go camping. So being able to get up there comfortably is important. A lot of the alpine lakes are wake-less and some are restricted to no motor, so I don't think I will ever have a big boat.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My old man's duramax is getting over 20. He's got the Bully Dog chip and keeps it on economy mode and it increased the MPG's. His is an extended cab 4x4 so not a small truck either. Pretty powerful and tows very easily.

The Tundra's are nice, but as mentioned above, they're gas hogs. I'd go with the F-150 or the Silverado as Whippersnapper said if you're going to stick with 1/2 ton gas engines.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #16
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Diesel have potential for great gas mileage as long as you put a little work in them and do it right. If it were me I would buy an 06-07 dodge diesel with the 5.9 in it. Or would buy an 05-07 Chevy duramax. These two motors give you the biggest playground to add fun to your engine and still drive a newer truck. Anything newer is harder to modify due to the gay DPF filters and emissions.

I had on 06 mega cab all ghetto'd out with air-ride and a custom paint job and big wheels and I was averaging 20-21 around town with no chip.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I hate the look of the new F150. With that being said my neighbor has a 2011 XLT extended cab with the 5.0 and it is a beautiful motor. His truck is still pretty new but he said on a recent 400 mile trip he averaged just above 19 mpg.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #18
I'm a Believer.
Quote:
Thanks for the post. I plan to keep the F150 for a long time. It will make it easier to have more toys in the future. Currently I would like to be able to tow my truck to some of the local shops (4x4, custom stereo, etc) and leave it there. Most are the shops are 1-3 hours away.

My GF would also like to get a small boat and go camping. So being able to get up there comfortably is important. A lot of the alpine lakes are wake-less and some are restricted to no motor, so I don't think I will ever have a big boat.

If you are talking about taking your F150 to the 4X4 / Stereo shop I would like too know what you find for a stereo up grade. That is the one fault I really have w/ the truck & that is the sound quality. Short of tearing out the factory radio w/ the Sync' setup I am very interested in a speaker upgrade or some kind or maybe even a amp after the in dash system. Still like it loud some times & the current system is more lame than a $25.00 boom box. Please advise if you can.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #19
BRT

The place I go to is called Elite Audio Solutions, they are in Colorado Springs (1.5 hours from where I live.) They do fully custom installs, so anything you can imagine they can do.

They did the install in my Tacoma, which involved building a custom fiberglass box which is mounted to the back wall of the cab (so it doesn't move when I am off road.) They also quoted me out-the-door pricing and stand behind their work.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #20
I'm a Believer.
There are plenty of places to visit for a audio upgrade here in the DFW (TX) area & can go from mild to wild, all I have to do is be willing to write the check - imagine that. Trying to do some home work first I guess to have an idea what I really wont before going in & too save time as well keep the reigns pulled in a little financially. Would like to keep the factory looks & locations but for sure better sound. It does not take much to distort the existing w/ little bass. If you do upgrade regardless of how wild post a update & how you like it, would like to know. Thanks again & look forward to hearing how it go's for ya.