Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

4x4 problem continued

Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Fiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
Fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation 4x4 problem continued

I have a 1998 ford ranger and the 4x4 is NOT working

When i switch my switch to 4x4 it shows it on the dash and i could feel it change like the transfer case was changing and i believed that my 4x4 worked, in till i took it out off roading and learned that my front tires where not engaging.

so i got a pair of manual locking hubs thinking this would fix my problem.
after i put them on i took it back out off roading, and my tires where still not engaging.

only thing i can think of now is that it is something inside of my front differential.

so i am wanting to know if anyone can help me out with what i am going to be looking at once i take off that differential plate, what i should be looking to see is broken or out of place?

or what else can be making my 4x4 not work...

Not wanting to take this shit to a dealer/mechanic!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Look at his intro thread, he's friends with a user on here. Don't blame him coming here looking for advice...
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Fiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud of

Fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
general automotive should welcome all types of vehicles if i'm not mistaken.. which is the reason it's in off topic section. please don't post if you have negative comments.. thanks to those of you who have useful advice..
Old 05-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
is there any noise comming from the front diff?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #7

Fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
is there any noise comming from the front diff?
there is a rattling noise that could be from there, we're not sure.

but it only occurs after i've switched out of 4x4 back into 2wd, and that lasts about a minute or so then goes away, but it happens every time.

but since i installed the manual locking hubs, i haven't heard it. but it's only been a couple days, so it could still be present.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
I had a '99 Mazda B3000, which was for all intents and purposes a Ranger. This sounds like a vacuum problem. Here is a LINK that may help.

Frank
Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
My front diff seemed to be doing the same thing, I needed a new diff.