Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Trading a modded Dbl Cab for a stock 4x4 Reg Cab...Thoughts?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
FJ Cruiser
KEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kurt
KEG'sTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to KEG'sTACO
Trading a modded Dbl Cab for a stock 4x4 Reg Cab...Thoughts?

I've been contemplating this for months now and I want to pull the trigger. Before I do it, what do you guys think? Have any of you done it?

I went to the stealership and they have an awesome BSP 4X4 2011 Reg Cab sitting on the lot. The first thing the salesman said was, "If you're looking to trade, those oversized tires will bring your trade-in value down by about 4k." BULLSHIT!

I got the truck with oversized tires and the price was still over 20k. Besides that, any advice or precautions would be nice.

EDIT: My reasoning why is:
-shorter wheelbase
-better gas mileage for the long time while it's stock
-manual tranny
-not so damn big
-4x4
-I won't have everybody and their damn mother asking to ride with me since it won't be a 4 door.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
chrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chrisman8995's Tacoma Gallery
ive got some advice, meet me half way and ill swap your oversized tires out with my wifes stock 17" 4runner wheels with good tires. and hell you should be paying me considering they're worth $4000
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you want it go for it. I wouldn't.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
FJ Cruiser
KEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman8995 View Post
ive got some advice, meet me half way and ill swap your oversized tires out with my wifes stock 17" 4runner wheels with good tires. and hell you should be paying me considering they're worth $4000
If the BS clears my tierods and it helps my trade in, you can throw in a couple bones and have some badass tires and rims.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Say goodbye to rain-free cargo space, and hello to a horrible bench seat. .02

Other than that, best of luck to ya's!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG'sTACO View Post
I've been contemplating this for months now and I want to pull the trigger. Before I do it, what do you guys think? Have any of you done it?

I went to the stealership and they have an awesome BSP 4X4 2011 Reg Cab sitting on the lot. The first thing the salesman said was, "If you're looking to trade, those oversized tires will bring your trade-in value down by about 4k." BULLSHIT!

I got the truck with oversized tires and the price was still over 20k. Besides that, any advice or precautions would be nice.
You didn't say WHY you wanted to do it. Couldn't give you any sort of opinion until you do that...
Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
Say goodbye to rain-free cargo space, and hello to a horrible bench seat. .02

Other than that, best of luck to ya's!
Buckets would be the first mod.

I just don't use all the space I have in my DBL Cab and it's so ridiculously big considering what I'd much rather have.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
You didn't say WHY you wanted to do it. Couldn't give you any sort of opinion until you do that...
Edited..thanks for pointing that out.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Would a bump up to access cab be possible. My buddy had an access cab and his lab was able to fit back there
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Are you thinking of getting a camper shell?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
Would a bump up to access cab be possible. My buddy had an access cab and his lab was able to fit back there
the Acc Cabs look goofy as hell when not modded and stock. I'm going for a base model 4x4. (cheaper) If I go to a Reg. Cab, the money I've got saved now would get me a nice shell.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Edited..thanks for pointing that out.
I could never do it, I LOVE the DC's - best of both worlds, never have to worry about selling it as I can haul 5 if needed. The only reason on your list that would remotely motivate me was if I wanted/needed 4x4 (I hate manuals). I've had two regular cab trucks (only reason regular cab was because I couldn't afford access cab), one access cab (have it now, cannot wait to get a DC) and a DC (long story as to why I sold it, )

You'll probably end up paying to swap (state sales tax, registration, etc). Need to factor that into any gas savings cost going forward.

So I guess I'm saying, IMHO, only if you really, REALLY want the 4x4...
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:

EDIT: My reasoning why is:
-shorter wheelbase That only really matters for serious offroading.
-better gas mileage for the long time while it's stock Still ot as good as a car if you are really concerned.
-manual tranny
-not so damn big
-4x4 Are you actually going to use it?
-I won't have everybody and their damn mother asking to ride with me since it won't be a 4 door. Fuck them and the horse they road on.
Answered.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
I could never do it, I LOVE the DC's - best of both worlds, never have to worry about selling it as I can haul 5 if needed. The only reason on your list that would remotely motivate me was if I wanted/needed 4x4 (I hate manuals). I've had two regular cab trucks (only reason regular cab was because I couldn't afford access cab), one access cab (have it now, cannot wait to get a DC) and a DC (long story as to why I sold it, )

You'll probably end up paying to swap (state sales tax, registration, etc). Need to factor that into any gas savings cost going forward.
My Dbl Cab is basically an Acc Cab, if that. I've had the rear seats folded down since I got my dog and people still bother me about rides. I'm a big fan of the aesthetics of a Dbl Cab, but for what I do (well, don't do) I don't need the Dbl Cab.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
I used to want a Reg cab, but I use my double cab wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yy to much.

I cant part with fire fly....
Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My Dbl Cab is basically an Acc Cab, if that. I've had the rear seats folded down since I got my dog and people still bother me about rides. I'm a big fan of the aesthetics of a Dbl Cab, but for what I do (well, don't do) I don't need the Dbl Cab.
you need to hang around people that have their own cars...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Having owned a smaller regular cab, they're damn nimble and will go about anywhere you want, but I'd never own one again after having a bigger cab. Smallest I'd go is an access cab unless it was a work truck. One thing to keep in mind with the fuel economy is how much you'll lose on the trade. If you think it's a good fit for you, then go for it, personally, I wouldn't give up my double cab.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Answered.
and serious offroading is what's going to be done. If I trade, the plan is to keep in stock for about a year, use the money saved up and get a sports bike. After that, start building the Tacoma for the trails around here.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I say do what you want, but if in the future you regret it, please pull this thread up and apologize to everyone.

Other than that,
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #20
Banned
Quote:
and serious offroading is what's going to be done. If I trade, the plan is to keep in stock for about a year, use the money saved up and get a sports bike. After that, start building the Tacoma for the trails around here.
You say that now but you never know. I said I would offroad more with my OR Taco but I honestly don't take it out much. I kinda wish I got a Sport because they look so much better.

If you are serious about wheeling I would keep what you have and tow something else like a Wrangler to the trail.