Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

IS300 Help

Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
IS300 Help

A co worker is having problems with his 01 Lexus IS300. It is throwing a CEL for code P1129 for the Electronic Throttle Control System. It seems like a general code for the whole system not a part of it. They can't drive the car as is since the throttle does nothing. Anyone experience something like this themselves or have heard of this issue? I know I can join a Lexus forum but I will try that as a last resort. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle position sensor bad??

From what I understand, most E.T. use two readings to..do their thing. One setting is from 0 to 5 volts and increases as the pedal is pushed, the other goes from 5 to 0 volts and decreases as the pedal is pushed.

The 2 signals have to "agree" with each other before they will act on the throttle. One should increase the voltage a certain amount under acceleration, the other will decrease voltage during acceleration.

The computer looks to see that the changes in both are equal and then changes throttle positon(s)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Throttle position sensor bad??

From what I understand, most E.T. use two readings to..do their thing. One setting is from 0 to 5 volts and increases as the pedal is pushed, the other goes from 5 to 0 volts and decreases as the pedal is pushed.

The 2 signals have to "agree" with each other before they will act on the throttle. One should increase the voltage a certain amount under acceleration, the other will decrease voltage during acceleration.

The computer looks to see that the changes in both are equal and then change throttle positon(s)
See here is the thing with this car. It still has a throttle cable and it uses a stepping motor for a butterfly valve. It is a hybrid system from what I have been reading. My co worker purchased a whole throttle body with sensors and he is going to try bolting it onto the car. It is nice working next door to LKQ.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
See here is the thing with this car. It still has a throttle cable and it uses a stepping motor for a butterfly valve. It is a hybrid system from what I have been reading. My co worker purchased a whole throttle body with sensors and he is going to try bolting it onto the car. It is nice working next door to LKQ.
Hmmm...well that makes it more interesting!

I'll jot the info down and take a looksee on Alldata, see what kind of testing it may call for.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

Ahh..back to this.

Well, I'll start off by saying that I wish I could get one of those IS300s into my shop for the same code. Easy money.

1129- Throttle opening angle continues to vary greatly from target TOA
Area: Electronic Throttle Control System, ECM.

This has to be the greatest test for a code, ever. There is one step.

-Are any other codes present?
--Yes: Diagnose/Repair other codes first.
--No: Replace ECM.

---Does DTC occur again?
---Replace Throttle Body.

But why the ECM first???...It's cheaper.
ECM = 924.49 (0.6 Labor Hrs)
ETB = 1,0005.77 (1.4 Labor Hrs)

So, put a new computer in it.

Comes back again, put a throttle on it.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Banned
Damn. Well I will see what happens Tuesday. He has a mechanic that he takes his vehicles too but so far he is stumped too.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Damn. Well I will see what happens Tuesday. He has a mechanic that he takes his vehicles too but so far he is stumped too.
Alldata was pretty short and to the point on this one, one of the 2 should fix it. I'll look again, see if there is any specific test for any component to single it out.

I'd try the TB first myself, at least you don't have to end up taking it to Lexus so they can reprogram it. And you might be able to pick up a TB from like junk yard or something.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Alldata was pretty short and to the point on this one, one of the 2 should fix it. I'll look again, see if there is any specific test for any component to single it out.

I'd try the TB first myself, at least you don't have to end up taking it to Lexus so they can reprogram it. And you might be able to pick up a TB from like junk yard or something.
He was able to pick one up from LKQ for $100ish with a money back guarantee.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
He was able to pick one up from LKQ for $100ish with a money back guarantee.
Hell of a lot better than 900+
Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Hell of a lot better than 900+
Oh hell yeah. He is hoping that he doesn't have to take it into Lexus. Everytime he thinks about buying a Banks power package for his V10 F250, one of the other vehicles needs something.

Thanks for the help man.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Oh hell yeah. He is hoping that he doesn't have to take it into Lexus. Everytime he thinks about buying a Banks power package for his V10 F250, one of the other vehicles needs something.

Thanks for the help man.
Sounds like your buddy needs a 4 banging Taco...V10/250, IS300 w/2JZ...Trade em' both in on a Pre-Runner!

Gonna suck if he needs a new ECM. Gonna have to go to Lexus to program it.

Do what I did though. Install new ECM, take old ECM, hook it up and set it somewhere off to the side under the hood and drive that bitch to the dealer.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
Banned
So apparently there was two codes. They changed the TPS and one code went away but the 1129 code is still there. He also says that he hears noises from the passenger side kick panel where the ECU is located.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
So apparently there was two codes. They changed the TPS and one code went away but the 1129 code is still there. He also says that he hears noises from the passenger side kick panel where the ECU is located.
Noises? What kind of noises?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Noises? What kind of noises?
He said it sounds like a desktop computer thinking. I said there is no hard drive in vehicle ECUs.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #15

Quote:
He said it sounds like a desktop computer thinking. I said there is no hard drive in vehicle ECUs.
Well thats no good.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Well thats no good.
It should sound like popcorn not a hard drive huh?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:51 AM   #17

Quote:
It should sound like popcorn not a hard drive huh?
Just wait until it starts smelling like burning/melting plastic, then that noise will probably go away.

Got a buddy at work who could probably fry that ECM like an egg for ya.

He sure managed to fuck up a Sequoia. Did a water pump, it ran for a minute then he shut it down and it never started again. They sent it to Toyota thinking it was a security thing...naw...the cam sensor wire(s) were caught/pinched between the water pump and block. Me hopes he's on the road to getting fired, no one likes him.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #18
Banned
So Quake, does Alldata show the location of the computer? LKQ is telling my co worker that the ECU is behind the driver side headlight. I'm not sure where it is.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #19

Quote:
So Quake, does Alldata show the location of the computer? LKQ is telling my co worker that the ECU is behind the driver side headlight. I'm not sure where it is.
I'll check it out today.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
I'll check it out today.
I know I can always go look but I had no time today. Thanks man.