Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Here's a new one ('export' content)

Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Tarik will become famous soon enough

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a new one ('export' content)

I'm moving from Los Angeles to Victoria, BC Canada in a month for a new job. The intent is to move permanently.
I bought a new Tacoma back in April, put $10k down, financed the rest through Toyota Financial.
It's insured through USAA.

I called Toyota to ask about having them use my new address in Canada. No way. Because there's a lien on the truck, it can not be taken out of the country for more than a month. They said try Toyota of Canada (completely unrelated it would seem), to have them transfer my loan (buy my loan and refi). No way, call Toyota Financial back in the US and see what they can do.
The dealer, toyota and my insurance say sell it. Sell it? (no thanks, I just bought it), pay it off (would I have financed if I could afford to?), etc just don't take our car to Canada for more than 30 days.

Frankly, I could care less where the payments go...only that if, in the slight chance that I do end up in an accident and I need to file a claim, etc...I am clearly going to have some serious explaining to do/and problems filing that claim. US based insurance is another issue as I need it to satisfy the loan requirements, and getting Canadian insurance would be double paying...plus, would it even work and would it pay a loss or total loss on a US lien car?
If I owned the truck it would not be a problem. There are things in place to help those people. There are even ways to bring in a car if you're in the military, but not when the vehicle is financed and still has a lien.
To make things worse, I will also be bringing my wife's 2010 Subaru (also financed).

I'm shocked I can not find a fix. Surely many people run in to this with liens or leases.
Ideas or info much appreciated.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
AH Canada!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
just crash that baby into a tree now and call insurance and tell them to send the check to canada
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik View Post
I'm moving from Los Angeles to Victoria, BC Canada in a month for a new job. The intent is to move permanently.
I bought a new Tacoma back in April, put $10k down, financed the rest through Toyota Financial.
It's insured through USAA.

I called Toyota to ask about having them use my new address in Canada. No way. Because there's a lien on the truck, it can not be taken out of the country for more than a month. They said try Toyota of Canada (completely unrelated it would seem), to have them transfer my loan (buy my loan and refi). No way, call Toyota Financial back in the US and see what they can do.
The dealer, toyota and my insurance say sell it. Sell it? (no thanks, I just bought it), pay it off (would I have financed if I could afford to?), etc just don't take our car to Canada for more than 30 days.

Frankly, I could care less where the payments go...only that if, in the slight chance that I do end up in an accident and I need to file a claim, etc...I am clearly going to have some serious explaining to do/and problems filing that claim. US based insurance is another issue as I need it to satisfy the loan requirements, and getting Canadian insurance would be double paying...plus, would it even work and would it pay a loss or total loss on a US lien car?
If I owned the truck it would not be a problem. There are things in place to help those people. There are even ways to bring in a car if you're in the military, but not when the vehicle is financed and still has a lien.
To make things worse, I will also be bringing my wife's 2010 Subaru (also financed).

I'm shocked I can not find a fix. Surely many people run in to this with liens or leases.
Ideas or info much appreciated.
you will be pretty close to oz. i cannot help you with the lien transfer but good luck.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
just crash that baby into a tree now and call insurance and tell them to send the check to canada
atleast our country could pay for it.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Tarik will become famous soon enough

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
Between this export issue and a non-resolvable vibration in first gear my dealer says is normal, this is starting to sound like my only option!