Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Should I improve the IFS or go SAS on my Pickup?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Should I improve the IFS or go SAS on my Pickup?

So thats kind of where I'm at.

SAS:
I have an 81 toy front axle hub to hub.
I have a 78 Bronco, I don't know if I can use these springs for the front of the Toy or not.

Now for the IFS I was thinking a mid travel setup possibly.

I can see a reason for both. The SAS simply because I have a few parts already I know its not much but its a start. Honestly I don't wheel that often because of work and the trails I have hit have always been within my and my trucks ability. Hence the reason for a trail rig. But honestly I think a good IFS setup would be plenty. The SAS would be alot of work no doubt. The IFS would be simple remove and replace.

Lets have some thoughts.

In reading the responses I have decided to add this:

I own a 2007 Tacoma, my daily driver with TC Upper control Arms, 3" lift, 33's. I wheel this truck as often as I can but my job and where I live limit me. I have taken this truck to its limits and decided to keep it as a daily driver.

This thread is about my 1990 Toyota pickup truck. I either want to do a SAS or a long travel on it. I was wanting people opinions on what they think would be best for the 1990 pickup.

This post will be added to my first post on here to help with the confusion.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't plan on hardcore wheeling my vote it to stay with the IFS
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
seems to me like you have already made up your mind.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
seems to me like you have already made up your mind.
x2 sounds like your leaning more towards the IFS, go with what you think will fit you best. And either way you'll still have that SAS still sitting around if you change your mind...alotta work though to change your mind
Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Actually I was set on doing the SAS, until yesterday when I came across a 4runner with a long travel setup. Kind of got me thinking. The whole reason I got a trail rig was because I was pushing my 07 too hard its still my daily driver and 1 side of dents is enough damage on this truck, however I still want to do more wheeling. I supose i'll keep collecting parts for the SAS and plan to move ahead with improved travel for the IFS.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
If your referring to a SAS on your 07 then you can forget the front Toy axle. It's not even close to being wide enough.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
If your referring to a SAS on your 07 then you can forget the front Toy axle. It's not even close to being wide enough.
x2
Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
If its for a non dd trail rig I say go for it, but if you don't wheel it much, what's the point?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I own a 2007 Tacoma, my daily driver with TC Upper control Arms, 3" lift, 33's. I wheel this truck as often as I can but my job and where I live limits me. I have taken this truck to its limits and decided to keep it as a daily driver.

This thread is about my 1990 Toyota pickup truck. I either want to do a SAS or a long travel on it. I was wanting people opinions on what they think would be best for the 1990 pickup.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I own a 2007 Tacoma, my daily driver with TC Upper control Arms, 3" lift, 33's. I wheel this truck as often as I can but my job and where I live limits me. I have taken this truck to its limits and decided to keep it as a daily driver.

I would say SAS because you already have the axle and a sloid axle will preform on the rocks way better then long travel. IMO long travle is for high speed off roading and a solid axle for slower rock crawling type of off road. Also on your 90 pickup its pretty cheap to do a swap.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
As far as pricing goes I don't see much difference. Money wise I say SAS.
LT: $999
Blazeland Long Arm Kit: $999 Plus S.& H. and tax if applicable.
1. Modified / Rebuilt L.C.A.s w/ new poly bushings
2. Modified / Rebuilt U.C.A.s w/ new poly bushings
3. U.C.A. Extension Brackets w/ Hardware
4. Hex Bar Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves w/ Jam Nuts
5. D.O.T. 18" S.S. Brakelines w/ Hardware

* Core deposit for LCAs and UCAs $200. Refundable apon reciept of your cores. Cores must be recieved within 30 days of your Blazeland order arrival. After 30 days deposit goes into forfeiture. Cores must be in complete, undamaged, and rebuildable condition.

Not Included but recommended:
Torsion Bars:
Sway-A-Way, Part #1646
Camel 4x4, Part #TOY026
Old Man Emu, Part #303003
To bolt on shocks in the factory location:
Bilstein 5100, Part #F4-BE5-6582-H5
(or substitute a shock made for a 4" Drop Bracket lift kit)
CV Axles:
1993-1998 T-100 4x4

SAS:$999
IFS Eliminator Kit
$999.00

There are a lot of choices on the market for solid axle conversion. So what makes our kits stand out? We feature the highest quality parts and the most complete kit at the best price anywhere.
Our SAS kits include a front diff armor plate, upper axle gusset wheel bearing and knuckle service kits. Items most others charge extra for. To install your solid axle kit you're going to need a rear matching lift kit, solid front axle from a 79-85 Pickup or 4Runner, and a long spline drive shaft.
We offer our kits in three different heights. The hangers and shackles included with each kit add one inch of lift. Thus our 3" spring kit has 4" lift and our 4" kit would be 5" of lift.
Note: On V6 installations, we recommend moving the front hanger forward 3/4". This allows the tie rod to clear the stock 4wd oil pan. It also kicks the shackles forward slightly helping the springs to carry the heavier load of the V6 motor.
Also See: SAS Parts

SAS Kit Includes:
  • Front Leaf Springs (your choice 3" 4" or 5")
  • High Steer Crossover Steering Kit
  • Front Drop Hanger with Greasable Bolts
  • Greasable 5" Shackles
  • Frame Tubes & Jigs
  • Steering Stabilizer Kit
  • U bolt Flip Kit
  • Shock Hoops (2)
  • Bilstein Shocks (2)
  • Front Brake Lines (2)
  • Vented Rotors (2)
  • Bumpstop Extensions (2)
  • Wheel Spacers (2)
  • Bumpstops (2)
  • Front Axle Gusset
  • Axle Diff Armor
  • Knuckle Service Kit
  • Wheel Bearing Kit (2)
  • Motor Mount Cover Plates
  • Spring Pad
  • Instructions
Note: Now our front 5" springs are available in a heavy-duty version with a 25% higher spring rate. We have added a 7th leaf and readjusted the length of the leaves to match. If you are running a larger v6 or v8 motor you will appreciate the extra weight carrying capacity of these springs.

Available in the following configurations:
  • IFS Eliminator Kit, 3" Springs, 110001-1-K, $1,199 ON SALE $999
  • IFS Eliminator Kit, 4" Springs, 110002-1-K, $1,199 ON SALE $999
Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I would go SAS that LT kit looks kinda crappy but i don't know much about LT. if your crawling up ledges and rocks you will be much happier with a solid axle.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #15
jrider636 is on a distinguished road
Name: justin
jrider636's Tacoma Gallery
maybe im missing something but u already have a straight axle toyota.......y dont u just wheel the '81?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
if you do decide to LT the truck instead of SAS, i'd def go with TC over that blazeland stuff... i realize it's twice the cost, but it's going to be much stronger, durable, and better performing than modified stock parts...

http://www.chaosfab.com/95000BJ.php
Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #17
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Not only that but the LT kit has most of what I need, but all of those extra parts are reccomended and they cost also.

I had all intentions of parting together the front end for the SA, and stumbled across this kit. I have intentions of making it a stock SA for the most part, basically making my 90 like the older SA pickups.

But then In my searches I came across this LT 4runner.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #18
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider636 View Post
maybe im missing something but u already have a straight axle toyota.......y dont u just wheel the '81?
I just have the front axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
if you do decide to LT the truck instead of SAS, i'd def go with TC over that blazeland stuff... i realize it's twice the cost, but it's going to be much stronger, durable, and better performing than modified stock parts...

http://www.chaosfab.com/95000BJ.php

Thanks for the link I have never considered LT for my trucks as I thought they were primarily for High speeds and dessert running.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Thanks for the link I have never considered LT for my trucks as I thought they were primarily for High speeds and dessert running.
they are, but you can still have fun with it crawling and hitting trails

i was more trying to steer you towards a better LT kit than the blazeland junk... not so much trying to convince you to go LT