Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Ecoboost Gas Mileage, all hype?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Ecoboost Gas Mileage, all hype?

I heared all this hype about the great gas mileage on a F150 with the Ecoboost engine, rumors of 25-27mpg. So I searched on Fuelly.com to see if I could find anything and came up with these averages:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150/2011
I found only 1 guy who broke 20mpg once.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Someone on here did a review on it and had similar findings. He said once you're in boost, forget it, MPG's go to the crapper. I guess it really only does well cruising down the highway and the engine isn't under much load.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I read an article that the epa mileages are obtained with the best combo of axle ratio to engine and the ecoboost was done with 3.15 axle.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
My mom's ecoboost Taurus SHO will get about 30 if you stay out of the boost actually. In town though... shit
Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #5

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
My mom's ecoboost Taurus SHO will get about 30 if you stay out of the boost actually. In town though... shit
Is that the 4 cyl.?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Is that the 4 cyl.?
Quote:
Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Is that the 4 cyl.?
The Tauras SHO has the twin turbo 3.5.

I would rather much have a G37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuri5zIqbTw
Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Is that the 4 cyl.?
Do they even make a 4 cyl ecoboost? Never heard of it if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
Is my statement invalid? Same engine... I figured there would be some sort of relevance here
Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Do they even make a 4 cyl ecoboost? Never heard of it if they do.
Not yet. It is in the works though.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is my statement invalid? Same engine... I figured there would be some sort of relevance here
No, sorry, just reiterating the fact that you said SHO... They don't make I4 SHOs
Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I think I'll wait for the V8 one... Then I may be all over it

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
No, sorry, just reiterating the fact that you said SHO... They don't make I4 SHOs
Oh, so we're same team!? Thanks Rex!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Sooo did they get the 27mpg from a single cab 2wd going down a 5% grade with a 50mph tail wind or what? I don't see how they can say 27 when it averages around 16.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
People here say they get 25 mpg in a tacoma v6...when I only got around 16..so I guess it varies
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
People here say they get 25 mpg in a tacoma v6...when I only got around 16..so I guess it varies
LOL right..

I'm 20+ under 65 in the summer.
I'm < 17 under 65 in the winter.

Cold weather kill the MPG on all trucks...too many factors.

From what I can gather on checking out the forums the ECO Fords are about equal to Tacoma mpg in similiar driving and you get alot more upside in power and towing.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
From what I can gather on checking out the forums the ECO Fords are about equal to Tacoma mpg in similiar driving and you get alot more upside in power and towing.
That's all cool and all but how many of us want a full size? I don't. Harder to park, higher cost and can't offroad in tight trails. As it is my neighbor has to park on the street because his F150 would block his wife from getting out of the garage. It would be the same at my house.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
i got 25 mpg once when my truck was stock. it was summer and all highway driving.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's all cool and all but how many of us want a full size? I don't. Harder to park, higher cost and can't offroad in tight trails. As it is my neighbor has to park on the street because his F150 would block his wife from getting out of the garage. It would be the same at my house.
This and bad resale, less reliable. Its probably a good thing for people who want/need a full size, but if it gets the same mpg as a new taco, Ill stick with the taco. It just suits me better, if I needed a full size I would get a diesel.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #18

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've also heard rumor of a 1 liter 3 cyl.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Fords don't seem to rust out like the Tacos do around here... Just playing the fence guys.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
I've also heard rumor of a 1 liter 3 cyl.
Who knows. The Geo Metro had a 1.3 liter 3 banger. It made an awesome 49 or 55 horsepower but got like 50 MPG. A cheap ass manager at work just got one. It is such a horrible little car.