Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

question about rotary engines. (rx-8)

Old 07-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
c.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cameron
c.coulby's Tacoma Gallery
question about rotary engines. (rx-8)

So i might be trading a 2004 gsxr 750 with 24xxx miles on it for a 2004 rx-8 with 78xxx miles on it. It needs engine and transmission replaced. It comes with new transmission with 6 month warranty. I will have to purchase an engine. I have looked around and have found some for around 1500 - 2500 I think. The car looks good (from what i can tell in the pics). He said the car has only been sitting for about 2 months and nothing has been stripped and that it should crank up.

So my question is, he said the apex seals on the engine went bad causing the engine to lose pressure after first start. He also said the transmission was good when he bought it but it messed up because he moved it around the drive way with the motor like that.

Does this sound right? I have never been around anything with a rotary engine and do not have any mechanical skills in rotary engines. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much
Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The apex seals are pretty much the piston rings/head gasket on a typical engine. If one apex seal goes down you lose 2 combustion chambers. They can be expensive to fix since it require the engine to torn down 100%.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
SoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rand
SoCalR's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, what Christian said.^^^

Not sure of the legalities in your area, but, if money isn't too much of an issue, I'd go with the 13BREW motor from the 93+ RX-7, or the 20B 4 rotor from japan.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
c.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to behold

thanks so much i figure put 1500 -2500 in it for motor and i could sell for around 7-8k?? sound reasonable?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

So, I heard Mazda's warranty on this car is 8yrs or 100,000 miles. If that is true i may be able to get this thing fixed by Mazda. I asked him for the VIN and he is going to send it to me tonight. Then I am going to call Mazda and find out if this is possible.

I'll let you guys know updates...

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Good luck man. Rotaries can be an expensive pain in the ass to own.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
redrx8 has a spectacular aura aboutredrx8 has a spectacular aura about
redrx8's Tacoma Gallery
It should still be under warranty, as was written before mazda increased the warranty to 8 years. I know because I own an RX8 and received a letter from mazda stating so.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
rotaries are a major pain in the ass to work on. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
gtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to behold
gtrotter's Tacoma Gallery
Leave that thing alone. Rotaries are a pain in the ass, and not worth the time/money IMO. The apex seals seem to be a common problem, and do require a teardown. I have rebuilt multiple 13B's and it is not the most fun thing to do. Time consuming to say the least, especially taking it in and out of the car.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalR View Post
Yup, what Christian said.^^^

Not sure of the legalities in your area, but, if money isn't too much of an issue, I'd go with the 13BREW motor from the 93+ RX-7, or the 20B 4 rotor from japan.
FYI. 20B is a 3 rotor, sexy as hell and possible to swap but it's gonna be expensive...26B was a quad rotor, went into prototype race cars/LeMans winners = unattainable...

I want to get an FC RX7 as a project car but I probably wouldn't buy a rotary as DD
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
blah blah blah
inesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

inesshell's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to inesshell
i had a rx8...it was a good car other than the fact that it had to topped off in oil every 1-2k miles. traded it 6 months later for a nissan z. I will never go rotary again for a dd. oh and the engine had flooding problems when i had it as well. not sure about the newer 8's
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarbob View Post
FYI. 20B is a 3 rotor, sexy as hell and possible to swap but it's gonna be expensive...26B was a quad rotor, went into prototype race cars/LeMans winners = unattainable...

I want to get an FC RX7 as a project car but I probably wouldn't buy a rotary as DD
Not if you know the right people and have this thing called monayyyyy
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
Banned
Just throw in a LS2 in there.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
ls1 procharged.

or twin t.

drop a fugggin 2jz in that beezy.