Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Eco boost f 150 4x4 I think I want one?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
gofas has a spectacular aura aboutgofas has a spectacular aura aboutgofas has a spectacular aura about

Name: Russell
gofas's Tacoma Gallery
Eco boost f 150 4x4 I think I want one?

I presently have a 96 Tacoma with 230k. purchased it with 70k on odometer. Now I think I want a Ecoboost f-150 extended cab. I never have owned a new truck and now I have the urge too. Talk me out of it or cheer me on?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfish68 View Post
go for it they are pretty sweet
x2!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Box the whole frame and your G2G
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thayer
DubVtundy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSLBBzJS388
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxrsv...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WAu5...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Dah...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epkCV...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lToZu...eature=related

nuts
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
gofas has a spectacular aura aboutgofas has a spectacular aura aboutgofas has a spectacular aura about

gofas's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool. Starting out with some positive vibes on the Eco boost. I like the idea it is bigger than my truck with what seems like same mpg's.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
you should hit up a f150 forums and check out the reviews and service from the dealership and go from there.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
wow ford made a great new truck sounds like we average people could score 300k or more mile out of it anyone know the starting $$$$ for it
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not saying the Eco boost motor is a bad motor but that simulated 150,000 miles is a gimmick. Now I'm sure they tried to come as close to "Simulating" 150k as possible but there are just somethings you cant do fast. Technically that motor didn't actually run a 150k they put stresses on the motor while it was running. so while your pistons and rings and Cylinder walls might have been stressed to a point that would reflect 150k there are other things that weren't All of the Seals are still brand new. all of the timing chain guides are still brand new because that chain didn't technically go around as many times as it would have in a real environment. and it is these parts that are still new on this motor that are helping to keep the motor running smoothly and I'm sure they replaced the Oil after every event as well. so no oils have had an opportunity to sludge up with age. and block passage ways that cause the unusual where patterns that cause motor failure. These are just my thoughts I'm not trying to enrage any body and like I said before I'm not saying this is a bad motor at all What I am saying is only time will tell and what they have done here is not a true test of time.

I'm also a little miffed about the name Eco Boost I went onto the ford website and their only showing 1-2mpg better than the 5.0 v8 they are competing with. That doesn't really scream "ECO" in my mind. It comes off as another gimmick to me. I really think they could have come up with a better branding for the motor then to try and mask it as an Eco friendly motor.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I don't believe the Ford made videos. But even with that said it sounds like a good engine. Cruise the 150 forums and see what's up with it.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #12
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Man, this place is starting to feel like F150World.

Sorta sucks.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #13
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Wait a couple of years. If it's good buy a used one for half price.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Man, this place is starting to feel like F150World.

Sorta sucks.
Word man.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
i read the consumer report review and they werent too thrilled on it. it got around the same mpg's as the 5.0 v8.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard not to get too caught up in the MPG's. When cruising unloaded down the highway it gets great mileage but in the city (or when in boost) it's not that great. As others mentioned, go to an F-150 forum and you'll get some real world feedback (maybe slightly bias but there will be some truth in there). Good luck...
Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #17
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Or better yet, go drive one.

I drove the Eco and the 5.0. IMO, the 5.0 is a much nicer motor. Plus it been proven already in the mustang. I know its been tweaked for the F150, but still.

I was getting in the range of 18-19 with the 5.0. Same trip, i averaged 13-15 with the eco v6.

If your towing, the ECO really shines, but other than that, I wasn't impressed AT ALL.
I went with the 5.0.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #18

gofas's Tacoma Gallery
I'm Test driving one in a few days from now.
I know I know I know, I should have known better than even mentioning my weird little attraction I had for the f-150 Ecoboost. As I watched the vid's I was kinda taken back by all the BS. I want to believe in turbo boosted power, however my friend mentioned to me that I could take all the money saved from gas to buy the new twin turbos at the 100k mark. Even my dad which is loyal GM man himself told me to go get a TUNDRA!!!!
I'll test drive the Tundra as well for the heck of it. I'm just looking for lightweight truck with larger bed than the truck I presently own with as good mpg's...