Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

F**k...!!!! Detailer scratched my truck

Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
F**k...!!!! Detailer scratched my truck

So, for the first time ever, I had my truck detailed and it looks awesome, nice and shiny. most of little scratches are gone, but of course........on the bedside right above the flare theres a 3 inch or so, deep as a mofo brand new scratch. I think he hit it with the polisher somehow. It's so deep my findernail gets stuck if I run it over the scratch. The thing is, I know the guy and he gave me a good deal. Also, he left without saying anything, probably hoping I wouldnt notice.
I'm seriously sick about it. I'm obviously going to call him on it, but what good will it do? He can't fix it, and I it's not like I wan to get the whole bedside painted.
I need suggestions, please. Should I just touch it up and try to forget about it? Since my truck is BSP, it's white and down to the metal, will it fade over time and be less noticeable? Thanks guys.
p.s. no pics because I am too pissed off to go look at it again. Out of sight out of mind (kinda).
Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i would bring it there and see what they can do
Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Tacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Tacolover443's Tacoma Gallery
Is it down to the primer or no? If it's down to the primer forget about it but I bet if it's not they can at least make it a little less noticeable.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...il-damage.html
Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I'd just have him get it fixed. make a deal to have him pay the repair bill. any half decent business man will make it right..
Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I'd just have him get it fixed. make a deal to have him pay the repair bill. any half decent business man will make it right..
I think it would be more trouble than the scratch is worth. But I will call him.
If it's not down the primer, which I think it's even past it, how can I make it not stand out so much? Just touch up paint?
Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
This won't end well. You know this guy, right? He left without saying anything, and you noticed this right after he left? If so, this leaves only two possible conclusions: First, he did it and didn't realize he had, which means for a "detailer," he has shitty attention to detail. Or two, he did it, realized his mistake, and chose to remain quiet, which should tell you a lot about this guy's integrity and professionalism.

If you confront him, even calmly, he will probably deny it and it will escalate from there. He will go into defensive mode because I hardly believe he would admit it having just walked away without saying a word. If he has shitty integrity, he'll just deny it until you go away. If you're lucky, he'll still admit he did nothing and offer to touch it up the best he can because he's "being nice." I don't think I'd count on that.

Wish you the best of luck but you may be SOL. May want to check your local Craigslist for someone who does scratch repair. Or maybe even your dealership as they will likely have someone they call to touch up new and used cars. One scratch can't be too much $.

Just my $.02 ... Good luck.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Most dealers have "air brush guys" that visit their car lots once a week and do minor paint touch ups.

I saw these "air brush guys" at a Lexus dealer and they lightly sand, prime, paint and clear coat & do a final polish on small areas in about 2 hours. And a small scratch like that should cost around $100.00.

I think the name of the company was True Colors ... but you can check with any medium to high end car dealer in your area (who they use).

PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) guys in Atlanta even do this type of "light paint blending" now.

Good luck and you can get this fixed and will never notice it again. Get the detailer to pick up the tab if possible.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
Most dealers have "air brush guys" that visit their car lots once a week and do minor paint touch ups.

I saw these "air brush guys" at a Lexus dealer and they lightly sand, prime, paint and clear coat & do a final polish on small areas in about 2 hours. And a small scratch like that should cost around $100.00.

I think the name of the company was True Colors ... but you can check with any medium to high end car dealer in your area (who they use).

PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) guys in Atlanta even do this type of "light paint blending" now.

Good luck and you can get this fixed and will never notice it again. Get the detailer to pick up the tab if possible.
x2
My dad knows a guy that retired and goes around to dealerships doing that now. Now that I think about it there are a few spots on mine I would like to have done... might call for a quote tomorrow. But you should be able to get that taken care of for alot less than having the bedside repainted
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
This won't end well. You know this guy, right? He left without saying anything, and you noticed this right after he left? If so, this leaves only two possible conclusions: First, he did it and didn't realize he had, which means for a "detailer," he has shitty attention to detail. Or two, he did it, realized his mistake, and chose to remain quiet, which should tell you a lot about this guy's integrity and professionalism.

If you confront him, even calmly, he will probably deny it and it will escalate from there. He will go into defensive mode because I hardly believe he would admit it having just walked away without saying a word. If he has shitty integrity, he'll just deny it until you go away. If you're lucky, he'll still admit he did nothing and offer to touch it up the best he can because he's "being nice." I don't think I'd count on that.

Wish you the best of luck but you may be SOL. May want to check your local Craigslist for someone who does scratch repair. Or maybe even your dealership as they will likely have someone they call to touch up new and used cars. One scratch can't be too much $.

Just my $.02 ... Good luck.
Thanks for the very thorough answer. This is exactly what I was thinking as well. There's no way he didn't know he did, especially seeing as the entire truck clean now, and there were almost zero blemishes before. I have a felling he will deny it too.
It seems rather petty, but it is really deep, and now that the rest of the truck is clean, polished, sparkly, it just really bothers me. I don't think I would even want him to attempt a touch up, it may come out worse. I will probably just have to get the lil paint pen from Autozone and try that, or those spot painters you guys mentioned may be worth a call.