Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Friend is thinking of buying a Jeep

Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Friend is thinking of buying a Jeep

My buddy is buying a new vehicle and can't decide between a Tacoma and a Jeep. I've heard nothing good about Jeeps and I'm trying to convince him to get a Toyota. Wanted to see if anyone had any horror stories about Jeeps so I can show him this and hopefully save him. He'd use it for hunting, camping, hauling a dirt bike, and has a small kid he wants to put a car seat in there for.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
The new jeep rubicon limited 4 door lifted looks bad ass. But not having a bed kind of sucks.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Just show him pics of some tacomas on here wheeling or some of the modded ones on here, he'll change his mind, trust me!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
The four door jeeps have been growing on me.....

But I couldnt stand not having a bed.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
My buddy is buying a new vehicle and can't decide between a Tacoma and a Jeep. I've heard nothing good about Jeeps and I'm trying to convince him to get a Toyota. Wanted to see if anyone had any horror stories about Jeeps so I can show him this and hopefully save him. He'd use it for hunting, camping, hauling a dirt bike, and has a small kid he wants to put a car seat in there for.
So he wants to shoot a deer and throw it in the back seat?

Throw all his camping shit in this back seat.

Im sure the dirtbike would enjoy a nice ride in the back seat as well.

Sounds like the man needs a truck.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Let him buy what he wants.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Let him buy what he wants.
So when he breaks down you can pick him in your tacoma and just give him an "I told you so" look!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
I'm really digging those wheels.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
If he wants a truck bed or something comfortable for long highway drives, go with the Tacoma.

If he just wants a fun 4x4 for off roading or as a DD, the Jeep Wrangler is awesome. Not a fan of any of their other current vehicles though.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
So when he breaks down you can pick him in your tacoma and just give him an "I told you so" look!!!
Well kinds but really only because it is his money. If I was doing some hardcore wheeling I would be in a Jeep.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Jeeps are a great platform for builds but he should know that a stock Wrangler will need major upgrades to withstand off roading on a regular basis. Dependability is definetly an issue with them though....I've had 2, a 79 CJ (see avatar) & a 2000 Wrangler TJ. I would recommend the Tacoma instead.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
P-Hill Tacoma is on a distinguished road

P-Hill Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Jeeps make a good second vehicle.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I was a kunt hair away from buying a JK rubicon before the Taco.........some times I wish I would have.
I think that would have been a better choice for you since you do like to find an impassible trail and drive through it.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yeah, it would have been the better choice........but now I get strange looks from buggies and jeeps when I'm on the trail. Had one tell me that the mall was the opposite way.

touche
Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:

Yeah, it would have been the better choice........but now I get strange looks from buggies and jeeps when I'm on the trail. Had one tell me that the mall was the opposite way.
You should say you are back there to tow them out in case they break down.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Wranglers are bad ass...my pop's got one and hasn't had any problems with it...I think i'd rather get the TJ than the JK...in a Rubicon

Front and Rear Lockers FTW!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
I mean, you can't beat front and rear solid axle + locker from the factory like a rubicon for offroading, but as a dd?

I was driving a coworker's 06 Rubicon Unlimited (older 2-door one) while my truck was getting supercharged. For offroading, that nice short wheelbase and solid axles and lockers are certainly great. I also didn't mind the transmission, the 6-speed felt a bit more "truck" and "solid" than the taco's, for lack of a better description.

But for DD? Yikes. The sucker was loud as shit on the highway, rode like a bag of asses duct taped to a radio flyer wagon, got 14mpg even when i drove it easy (stock tires, no lift), and had much less room than the truck, by a long shot. Handled like shit too (one benefit to IFS that's worth keeping in mind.)

It can't even compare to the truck for loading my GF & me or my dad & me, plus the dog, plus backpacks and gear, to go camping. Or loading up to go to the shooting range (outdoor, use the truck as a table). Or driving long distances for road trips (nice and quiet, tons of room for luggage, way better MPG).

Yeah... I would only get a jeep for a dedicated offroad vehicle, personally.

Also, two coworkers have jeeps: your friend needs to get ready to have to use a trailer for anything, from his bike to plywood from home depot.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
Chazlom is on a distinguished road
Chazlom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
I'm really digging those wheels.
I'm really digging that front end articulation
Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
i've been throwing around the idea of a jeep for a trail rig .. but i think i want a built tacoma more