Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Need transmission advice

Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Mskwared is on a distinguished road
Mskwared's Tacoma Gallery
Need transmission advice

My gf cant afford a new car and i think her transmission is going out. When it gets to third gear it hesitates shifting and it wont shift until you let off the gas. I checked the fluid level and it was high (too high it seemed). Anyways what i was wondering is how hard is it to replace a transaxle / transmission? I checked pick and pull and their pricing said like $140 for one. I dont think i even wanna try and open it up, i think itd be easier to just replace it.

Pops also said it might be the torque converter but i dont know seeing as ive never messed with a transmission.

Advice?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Car specs?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
the band could need adjustment, take it to a reputable mom and pop trans shop if you have one?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
First........I would add some seafoam transmission additive,and drive it around then do a drain and fill and see what the shifts are like. If it helps it........it will be around $30.....seafoam and tyranny fluid together. Cheaper and easiest way to start.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
agreed, ive also used lucas, just dont add brake fluid to it, i repeat do not
Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Mskwared is on a distinguished road
Mskwared's Tacoma Gallery
93 camry 4cyl automatic. Had 300k miles on it and her dad put a 200k mile used motor in it. I think its the original transmission though. Im not surprised its giving out but she needs to squeeze a couple more months at least out of it. Im sure they replaced the head gasket while they were in there but she still burns oil im thinking because the car smokes whenever she starts it.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskwared View Post
93 camry 4cyl automatic. Had 300k miles on it and her dad put a 200k mile used motor in it. I think its the original transmission though. Im not surprised its giving out but she needs to squeeze a couple more months at least out of it. Im sure they replaced the head gasket while they were in there but she still burns oil im thinking because the car smokes whenever she starts it.
Sounds like it's clapped out. If it's not slipping, it will probably last another couple months doing nothing. If she wants to keep it, it's worth letting a trans shop look at it. Might be something cheap to fix. Reminds me of symptoms of a bad vacuum modulator on an old car. I am thinking a solenoid perhaps on yours.