1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air conditioning problem (home)

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TacoDawgfan, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Aug 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Ok, last friday got home no a/c. Fan blowing, compressor not running. Got it fixed, bad capacitor. Come in today, same thing. Any ideas? Same a/c guy coming out, said no charge if it's the same thing. I don't know what to think. My unit is a heat pump btw.

2. Aug 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    AndrewPiering

AndrewPiering Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    My capacitor when out on mine too last week. It was about to burst from this texas heat. So far i havent had any other problems. Does your unit have a reset button? Aslo, try hosing off the unit. Sometime the coils can get really dirty causing it to blow hot air. Maybe pop the breaker and reset it. These are things that Ive had to do in the last few weeks. Hopefully its something simple for ya. Good luck. Hope this helps a little.

3. Aug 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Well the compressor is not running, line isn't cold and no moisture coming out of the unit. House is only 6 years old and sat empty for 2 of them.

As for hosing the unit off, we had a hard rain last night. I don't know how mush to hose it down? Don't want to cause more damage.

I'm gonna go try the breaker now. Thanks. I don't know an awful lot about a/c units.

4. Aug 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    AndrewPiering

AndrewPiering Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Sometimes if its really dirty, it can cause it to over heat and will shut off. Doesnt sound like its a freeon leak. when is your ac guy coming out? Also, there should be a power switch by the unit, usually on the wall. make sure its flipped on. Some new units have a reset button. Thats about all I know. If none of that works, the ac guy will have to open it up and look. Sorry man, good luck!

5. Aug 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    He's coming as soon as he gets done with the call he's on so they said.

6. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    I assume it's an air-to-air pump? Geothermal? Air-to-water source?
    What's your ambient temperature? (outside temperature)

Have you turned your unit to HEAT mode on in hot weather?
    Not designed to be ran above 68 degrees in HEAT mode..damages compressor, super high head pressure,overheats windings, etc.

If a capacitor keeps going, it could be an electrical issue. It could just have been a faulty capacitor.

I can't really tell if it's a run or start cap or help you with any other issues, you didn't give me enough information..make, model, etc.
    Hard to help, I don't mean to be an asshole either..but hard to help with no information

7. Aug 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Well the compressor is shot. :mad: Possibly hit by lightning but nothing else in the house seems to be affected including the bonus room unit that sit right beside it. Anyway trying to decide if I should A. replace the compressor. B. Replace the whole unit. or C. Upgrade the whole system to the new coolant setup which the repair guy claims will save me quite a bit on the monthly bill.

8. Aug 20, 2011 at 3:08 AM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    Mines been running like a freight train. I know my power bill is going to suck.

9. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone have any input on the new r410a systems? I am in the dilemma between replacing the compressor and staying with the r22 or spending the $ and upgrading to the whole new system of the r410a. The service tech claims I will save $100 a month or so with the new system. So I'm looking at roughly $1100 to fix or $3000 to upgrade. Trying to figure out if I'll really save enough with the newer set up to pay for itself down the road. Either way it looks like we will be suffering in this heat until Monday morning until anything can be done. Possibly can get a compressor this morning, waiting to see right now. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Can't seem to find any answers on the web about this.

10. Aug 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    $1100 is about right for a compressor change-out for a consumer.
    You gotta evacuate, swap, evac, leak test, charge. Plus price of new virgin refrigerant, as with a compressor burnout..one of the dumbest ideas ever to re-use existing refrigerant(if it was a burnout, which is probably cause).

Did technician tell you why it happened? Some will disclose..some won't.
    There is a reason why it happened, they normally don't just go "bad"...it does happen but not all the time.

R410A have been around for a few years, these are high pressure high efficiency sytems. Usually have a SEER rating of 14-18..depending on the manufacture, and unit sizing. I've seen ductless split systems that push out 32,000 BTU's of cooling(little under 3 tons) that were 16.5 SEER..and they cooled a 1100 sq ft house no problem..
    Remember the higher the tonnage usually the lower the seer..unless you pay to play for the big boy systems...

Do you have infiltration into your house?
    That's a major problem with air conditioning, lot's of outside air entering through cracks, vents, etc raises energy bill..unit has to work longer/harder to keep the set point...what window's are in the house? Type of insulation? All play a major factor in energy saving costs.

I don't work in residential air conditioning, but I did go to school for it, so I know quite a bit about it.

Remember your indoor air handler unit will need to be replaced also, a R22 evaporator will not handle a R410A pressure. Your technician might be able to retrofit your existing air handler with the new A-coil (which is probably what you have, doubt you have a slab coil..)..but that's up to them, and what they offer. Usually they like to sell stuff as a package..those assholes.

Residential air conditioning guys are asswipes.

What manufacture do you have currently?

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:24 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    It is a Fedders 3.5 ton 10 seer. House is 2000 sq ft with 12 ft ceilings. Windows are double pane. About all I know about the windows. The house is 6 years old and everything is "energy star" in the house. Tech is recommending a 13 seer Ruud if I go for the whole replacement upgrade to the r410a. $3200 for the whole job w/replacing the air handler inside. Trying to decide if one, will the new system really save me on my monthly bill compared to the old system? Two, if I just replace the compressor, should I expect the rest of the system to hold up for a while or expect more problems in the next couple years? Got to make a decision today, cant take this heat any longer.

On a side note, I found out I can get a 0 percent interest loan through my electric co. for 36 months plus a $400 rebate and $500 tax credit but apparently have to use their contractors and the one I'm dealing with isn't on their list. Has to be "energy star" and not sure if the Ruud unit he's pricing me on is. I'm gonna try to get quotes from their contractors today before I do anything if they wont let me use my guy. But I'm betting he has much better pricing. Such a pita!

12. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It will save you money a month, I can promise you that compared to running an outdated R22 system (with probably a reciprocating compressor)..the new 410As use mostly scrolls.

I can't promise it will be what that technician said, because it all depends how you run your house at the same time.

Yes the R22 system will break again, it's almost guaranteed

If your house is 6 years old, then you definitely have a "tight" house still. It'll run good..13.5 SEER isn't too shabby..you get what you pay for.

$3200 is actually fairly cheap, well you do live in Georgia..

Products Discussed in

To Top