LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

looking to get a full size truck

Old 08-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: joshua
j83soldier's Tacoma Gallery
looking to get a full size truck

Like the title says I am looking to get a full size. I am looking and tundras and titans but am open to chevys and fords too and would like some imput. Looking for personal experiance not the "if its not a yota its crap" point of view. Tundras are top on my list but are very pricey. Any input would be cool. I am looking for towing capacity, bed space and reliability. I have to have a 4x4 and past that dont care Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
wouldn't you be better off asking this on the tundra forum?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Are you looking to replace the tacoma with a dd that can tow?

if not you could get a used diesel just for towing..
Old 08-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
I have, all the reponces I recieved were biased as hell. Hence comming to a third party forum.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j83soldier View Post
I have, all the reponces I recieved were biased as hell. Hence comming to a third party forum.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #7

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Are you looking to replace the tacoma with a dd that can tow?

if not you could get a used diesel just for towing..
Not replace, I am keeping to yota but yes I am looking for a dd with more towing capability/room. I am just looking for a nice full size. I dont need a diesel. Nor do I know anything about them. I have a 6200lb camper to pull, a few bikes I would like to fit in the bed ect
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #8

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
if it aint a yota its crap.
LOL that is why I deleted the post on the tundra forum
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
i just bought last week and 03 tundra stepside 4x4 with 123,000 on the clock. ( for the other half of me)

My first full size truck i have owned and i love it. I just wish it was a manual.
Very impressed my it.

We did look at ford diesels and after some debating we took the tundra.

edit the bed is kind of small but its a step side. Towing it has a class 3 hitch on it so i would say around 6000 towing.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
LOL that is why I deleted the post on the tundra forum
i had to do it. but what are you looking to tow?
nm i saw what your towing now. i would say go with the tundra man. you arent going to be carrying things that are to heavy you would be able to have 4x4 and can tow your camper with bikes in the bed
Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #11

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa3303 View Post
i just bought last week and 03 tundra stepside 4x4 with 123,000 on the clock. ( for the other half of me)

My first full size truck i have owned and i love it. I just wish it was a manual.
Very impressed my it.

We did look at ford diesels and after some debating we took the tundra.
Good to know, I am looking for specifics. Long term issues, pro and cons with the tranny and powertrains while towing. Specific comparisons between the diffrent full size models ect. I have owned a nissan exterra and the yota (only two vehicles I have not had issues with) hence me leaning towards titans and tundras but I am open to f150 and chevys. That being said I have read multiple articles about the rear diff going out on titans and yet again I could get a new f350 for the price of a newish tundra
Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #12

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
i had to do it. but what are you looking to tow?
nm i saw what your towing now. i would say go with the tundra man. you arent going to be carrying things that are to heavy you would be able to have 4x4 and can tow your camper with bikes in the bed
titan is about 7k towing while tundra is 7.5 (I believe, havent read the manuel but thats what forums are spitting out)
Old 08-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
6,200 lb camper, I'd look into a used diesel. It'll get better mileage towing and handle the weight much better than any of the other 1/2 ton trucks. The duramax with the allison transmission (chevy or GMC) is great for towing and right now the only diesel I'd buy new.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
ford RAPTOR! Nuff said!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #15

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
6,200 lb camper, I'd look into a used diesel. It'll get better mileage towing and handle the weight much better than any of the other 1/2 ton trucks. The duramax with the allison transmission (chevy or GMC) is great for towing and right now the only diesel I'd buy new.

wanna give me a quick "Im a idiot" rundown of deisels. I know nothing of their maitence, upkeep costs, durability ect
Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
ford RAPTOR! Nuff said!
really... not for a tow vehicle, that's just a waste.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #17

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
ford RAPTOR! Nuff said!
amazingly productive reponce
Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Diesels are better equipped for towing. They have good mileage vs gas, as long as you are easy on the skinny pedal. The engines last longer than gas, but are more expensive. The engines and transmissions are made more for torque, not speed. Repair costs are more too.
Compared to gas, for towing, diesel is king.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wanna give me a quick "Im a idiot" rundown of deisels. I know nothing of their maitence, upkeep costs, durability ect
Maintenance is more expensive on a diesel because the parts are heavier and made to last (also heavier because of the way they make power). But, they're made to last for a very long time so they're servicable. The allison transmission has a spin on filter like your engine for example because they're made to put on tons of miles. Oil changes are a little more expensive and diesel fuel is more expensive than regular unleaded, tires are more expensive because they're a higher load range, etc.

As a daily driver, they don't make much sense, but if you're towing, they are great. They'll still get over 15 mpg while towing for example and tow pretty effortlessly. Allison makes transmissions for very large commercial vehicles and started making transmissions for the Chevy and GMC diesel line-up and it's pretty bulletproof. Unloaded they are capable of low 20 mpg also (with the Bully Dog chip). My old man is on his third and his Chevy 2500 Ext. Cab 4x4 will get 23 MPG unloaded and he gets 17 towing his 30' travel trailer.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #20

Army:
cool, I tow once a month or so, sounds like it might be over kill