Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

how do I assemble a trailer axle?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
how do I assemble a trailer axle?

So I'm looking to put a new axle under my utility trailer, and wondering, how to I turn 2 of these :

into an axle?

do i weld them into a piece of tubing?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Those are your axle spindles?

Looks like 5 on 4.5 bolt spacing so its meant for a 2000 lbs axle. Where did you get them from. Im sure you can just weld it to a piece of tubing and slap a u-bolt kit on and tires.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have them yet, I can buy whatever size I decide, how do I ensure that when I weld them in, they are straight and won't wobble like crazy?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You can also pick up an axle from Standon's in Calgary for around $100
Old 08-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
i dont have them yet, I can buy whatever size I decide, how do I ensure that when I weld them in, they are straight and won't wobble like crazy?
Your spindles spin separately from the axle. Wont really affect anything other than your turning.

Edit: Actually if they are not straight with the road they will wear very quickly
Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #6

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
yea exactly, I was thinking of getting an axle from princess auto, these just seamed like a cheaper route. I'll just buy an axle haha
Old 08-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
yea exactly, I was thinking of getting an axle from princess auto, these just seamed like a cheaper route. I'll just buy an axle haha
Standon's will make the axle to your specs. We get axles built from Standons all the time.

The freight might make it not worth it though. Go for princess Auto then.