1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got in an accident, my fault?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Toyota Tacoma, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    So the other night me and some friends were hanging out at his place and there were a few too many people so we decided to go to my place to thin things out. We all started driving up there and the ones we were trying to avoid followed (of course :facepalm: ) so we get to my place and I go to parallel park. I stop, throw it in reverse, look behind me and slowly start to backup...crunch... the not invited crew thought it would be funny to tail me and stopped right behind me, my truck is lifted and they were in a civic so I couldn't see them for the life of me. My hitch receiver put a hole in their hood, is this my fault? the repair bill isn't much but i thought id ask. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    On paper it will be your fault; however, I would never ask somebody to pay for damage in a case like that if I was the one trying to pull the prank.

Fink

3. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    ^ This

Hopefully your friends recognize they were being stupid and just take their lumps.

I have people walk or drive into my path while backing up all the time. The whole "screw you, me first" attitude only works if I can see them. Sometimes I can't, especially with a loaded work vehicle.

4. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    Hook & Ladder

Hook & Ladder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD Tacoma
    The project @c4_fabrication-Sliders, HC bumper w/ swing out @kb_voodoo_fabrications-Bed rack @tepuitents-RTT @cali_raised_led-Fogs, ditch lights, bed stiffeners @prinsudesign-Roof rack @kingshocks-2.5 with adjuster @totalchaosfabrication-UCA @rcioffroad-diff skid plate Follow at @wicked_overland #nacrew
    agree i would see if they can front some $$ up.

5. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    That's a tough one. If you had signalled and were legally parallel parking, you might have an argument in court.

My guess is that the easiest thing to do is to shell out the "not much" cash and call it a cheap lesson. You could easily have been putting the hitch through a bimmr's radiator.

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I'd say it's their fault for being idiots. If they're really you're friends they would admit it was their fault. Worst case scenario is you guys split it 50/50.

7. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Absolute worst-case is 50/50.

If it were me, and they came to me asking for money, I'd say fuck no. I'm much more likely to help in those situations if you don't ask. I will do the right thing 9/10 times.

Example...girlfriend's best friend parked her car in the parking garage at our apartment. She ends up getting bumped by what I assume to be a drunkard. She never asked for a penny, but I felt guilty being that I told her it'd be safe here. So I cut her a check for half of the damage. If she had asked, I would have told her that shit could have happened anywhere.

Fink

8. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 EL REY!

Member:
    First Name:
    DANNY M
    CORONA,CALIF..HG
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner tacoma
    tube steps...10k hids...luminics 3k fogs k&n air filter.12" sub pioneer head unit.epicenter.2000w amp.
    just dont go with the insurances...handle it yourself an let them fix it.

9. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    black tacoma 666

black tacoma 666 drive it like you stoll it

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    07 4Dr TRD sport standard black tacoma
    cutted mud flap fumed tail lights badgeless T-rex grill ..more to come
    it's just a civic !

black tacoma666

Products Discussed in

To Top