Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Truck won't hold a charge

Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Truck won't hold a charge

After my truck was vandalised I've kept it in the garage.
Over a three month period I've cranked my truck about twice. Each time it took longer to turn over.
Then it got to the point where i could only hear the starter clicking and the lights still turned on and what not.
After a little while the truck just completely stopped working.

I got it into the culdesac last week and jumped it but the truck would idle than just die. I had to keep it at about 1.5 rpm just to keep it rumbling.
Is it the battery that needs to be replaced? I've had the same battery for like seven years now.
I'm hoping it's nothing too serious, maybe I could just change out the battery to a new one.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
test the battery.

thats probably it.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
battery
Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
leaving a vehicle sit is a no no these days.
computers are constantly drawing juice form it.

your suppose to disconnect batteries if your going to leave them for a certain period of time.

Pulling a older battery down to dead will kill it. So either start the truck up and run it til operating temp once a week or disconnect the battery.
Get the battery charged and have someone test it for you. Replace if necessary
As far as the truck dying more than likely you lost the memory in the ecu so the truck needs to relearn the parameters it was seeing.
This is also a sign of a dirty throttle body because the Idle control motor has to run farther up on it's parameters and it won't idle until it relearns that higher value.

Don't know how old your truck is but if it has mileage on it this will help this situation as well as other areas.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBawlzTaco View Post
After my truck was vandalised I've kept it in the garage.
Over a three month period I've cranked my truck about twice. Each time it took longer to turn over.
Then it got to the point where i could only hear the starter clicking and the lights still turned on and what not.
After a little while the truck just completely stopped working.

I got it into the culdesac last week and jumped it but the truck would idle than just die. I had to keep it at about 1.5 rpm just to keep it rumbling.
Is it the battery that needs to be replaced? I've had the same battery for like seven years now.
I'm hoping it's nothing too serious, maybe I could just change out the battery to a new one.
I had the same problem, it was the battery.