Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Car/Truck Shipping

Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Car/Truck Shipping

Was woundering if anyone has had experiance transporting vehicals. Dont really want to drive it, trying to keep miles low. Want to ship during November so might have problems with weather if I drive it. Trying to ship my Corvette from Lynden, WA to Phoenix, AZ. Should i use a enclosed trailer or car carrier? Got a number of quotes varry from $600 to $1200. Trying to look for the most repitable/largest company. Many of the quotes look like smaller less experianced carriers. All thoughts welcome.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure they have a DOT and MC numbers and carry more than standard cargo insurance.

You can usually find a car shipping broker online that works with several carriers and will get you put with the right carrier for you.

Uship is good but you have to make sure you're dealing with a professional and not some fly by night clown.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
I've had two cars shipped. Easier than it sounds. Having it enclosed or en open trailer is up to you. As mentioned, just make sure they are licensed and insured.

If an open trailer is used. Ask what kind. If it's a multiple double, request to have your car on the top ramp to keep fluids from leaking on to your paint from others.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy is a shipping broker. Give them a call.

http://whitegloveautotransport.com/
Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Did my research today, probably going with DAS. Largest company doing car transportation. Was quoted $700-$900 for open. DAS quoted $880 all in for enclosed trailer. I have to drop off in Tacoma, WA and pick up in Sun City, AZ. Little further out of my way to drop off but worth the price.

Thanks for the advice about parking on the bottom of trailer. Will make sure to have on the top. I could see having a older car above and leaking crap right onto my paint Also going to have extra insurance on it while shipping. Cant wait to have it there, just put it away for the winter in Vancouver. Tacoma will get a spot in the garage now.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
I've had two cars shipped. Easier than it sounds. Having it enclosed or en open trailer is up to you. As mentioned, just make sure they are licensed and insured.

If an open trailer is used. Ask what kind. If it's a multiple double, request to have your car on the top ramp to keep fluids from leaking on to your paint from others.
Yeah this is great advice. My truck leaked tranny fluid onto the tan roof of a 1st gen convertible Camaro during transport. Felt so bad for the driver. Happened to have $20 in my pocket and gave it to him. Told him I could at least get him a decent meal for the trouble.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysam View Post
Yeah this is great advice. My truck leaked tranny fluid onto the tan roof of a 1st gen convertible Camaro during transport. Felt so bad for the driver. Happened to have $20 in my pocket and gave it to him. Told him I could at least get him a decent meal for the trouble.

I would think it's the driver fault. He should know better.

An example. I had a '69 Chevelle SS shipped to me from Miami. It wasn't in prestine condition and it was obvious. When I went to meet him, he had a brand new Bently sitting underneath my Chevelle. I appreciate the gesture and all if it was meant, but I have money saying that the new Bently has a less chance of leaking than my 42 year old Chevelle.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post

I'm looking for another project, I'll keep this in mind.

Think he'll give us a TW discount?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I would think it's the driver fault. He should know better.

An example. I had a '69 Chevelle SS shipped to me from Miami. It wasn't in prestine condition and it was obvious. When I went to meet him, he had a brand new Bently sitting underneath my Chevelle. I appreciate the gesture and all if it was meant, but I have money saying that the new Bently has a less chance of leaking than my 42 year old Chevelle.
Keep in mind it also depends on when the driver picks up the cars. What happens is the broker will post on a forum, "I have a car going from X city to X city" and drivers/shippers will respond (according to my buddy it's within seconds usually) and say, "I'm heading through there on X date at X time, I can pick it up for X$" They typically pick the cars up along their route (first on, last off) and to reshuffle cars costs time and money. Also the more cars they can get on the truck, the cheaper it will be.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm looking for another project, I'll keep this in mind.

Think he'll give us a TW discount?
haha I doubt it. His margins are low, so on an average ship, it's only between $100-200 per car revenue because he only gets the broker fee. Then he has pay to his manager. He's about to buy a couple trucks and trailers so he can get 100% of the money though...maybe then he'll offer discounts and "group-buys" haha.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
Subd for later..
TacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
TacoRun's Tacoma Gallery
I don't want to add more problems for you to worry about but...

I have seen cars in transit with their driver side windows down! Just letting you know so you make sure they don't do that to your car.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post

this doesnt work...takes me to some random sign in page...help?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i've shipped a car. biggest PIA ever. i went thru a broker. shipped from el paso to san francisco. cost me $600 for open trailer transport.

the truckers are not on a set schedule. they will do whatever is possible to not have to drive anywhere with an empty slot on the trailer. they dont pick up on time, and they dont drop off on time.

didnt help that i had a non running, old porsche 911 to ship. they started it and sucked crap and rust thru the injection system..made my life a living hell.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thought about shipping via rail-car?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Not going too end up needing it. Selling the vette and driving back another car, probably from Phoenix.

DAS is a really reliable company for anybody looking to get there car shiped.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I found this post I just purchased a 2000 Camaro and looking to get it shipping via enclosed trailer. I'll have to do some research on DAS. Also FYI transportreviews.com has a lots of reviews on thousands of transport companies.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
don't use mercury auto transport (broker)/Cougar Auto Transport (ship company). they have horrible communication. apparently the truck that was due to pick up my wife's car today was parked next to a motel 6 friday and the motel caught fire melting the truck trailer. they knew about this and didn't bother to tell us until WE call them 2 hours after ours was supposed to be picked up. most people appreciate a courtesy heads up that their vehicle may be delayed. now we have to scramble to have someone else give the driver the keys sometime next week.

EDIT: called the broker and they basically told us that we were S.O.L. since they already contracted it out.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
smtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to behold

smtaco73's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I found this thread

Now if I can find me a truck. Seems like all trucks for sale are across the country. But how do you buy a truck you havent even seen or driven? Do you trust seller? Do you get a fellow member to go check it out for you? I have never bought a vehicle without driving it or looking at it.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
matadorCE is on a distinguished road
matadorCE's Tacoma Gallery
Either fly there and drive it back home or have someone you trust check it out for you. I wouldn't buy a car sight unseen unless it was a new car but that's just my personal opinion.