Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

**Buying a Car without a Title Question**

Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Keepin' it dirty in Texas
alexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalexmxman185 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alexmxman185's Tacoma Gallery
**Buying a Car without a Title Question**

I am thinking about buying a 4runner that a buddy bought from the owner but never received the title. IF I buy the truck is there ANYWAY I can get it titled in my name without tracking down the owner?

I Live In Texas by the way just to be clear on state laws.

Please help
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know the specific Texas laws, but this seems like a huge hassle. I know in California it would be absolutely impossible to register it wthout a title, I'm sure it's not that much different there.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
my guess would be that you'd have to track down and actually get the title, but idk ive never bought a car before sorry maybe he can send it to the dmv?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Get the VIN and take it to the DMV. They can look up the VIN and tell you everything that was ever known about that vehicle.
Depending on the state there are regulations about lost and/or abandoned titles.

Don't fork over cash until you've talked to the DMV or whatever that agency is called in your state.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I've been down this path. It's typically not worth the hassle. Basically, you need a paper trail from whomever the vehicle is currently registered to. Now, I'm in California, and it may be a little different but here: you need:

1. signed statement of lost title from current registered owner
2. bill of sale from current owner
3. if any "transfer of ownership" paperwork is on file with DMV, you'll need bill of sale paper trail through each of those owners down to you.
4. sales tax for each sale listed in 3
5 any overdue registration fees + any late fees

If the vehicle tags have expired, you can expect to be pulled over regularly by the cops checking registration until the whole mess is completed.

You're in Texas. Go to the Texas DMV site and check their FAQ to get the exact specifics. It'll all be posted up there for you to read, but it'll be something roughly like this.

My read? Your "buddy" hasn't had any luck slaying the paperwork dragon and is ready to try and dump the whole mess in someone elses lap. Don't be the chump who takes it.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
In virginia you also need a paper trail. But not as seriuos. We just send a certified letter to the titled owner and the bank (if there is a lein) let him know we have it, it is considered a abandoned vehicle, and we intend on keeping it and obtaining a title for it. Once that is done and you have waited the appropriate time (60 days?), you can file paperwork and get a title.
Kind of a hassle, but if you can do th eleg work, and you can wait for the title you might get a kickass deal at the end.
Oh yeah, it should be business with commercial property zoning and a tax id is required.
I have run them through my mechanics shop or my warehouse in the past.

There are also people that specialize in the paperwork, typical fees are $300-500 assuming all goes well.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
If you were in FL and the vehicle in question is over then years old, so long as it was not shown stolen on the database, you would just pay regular registration fees. Good luck!