1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

truck battery exploded

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by muddin, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    muddin

muddin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's on all four with some OME 885x's. Brute Force Fab front bumper. Warn winch. Koenig countersteers wrapped with duratracs.
    hey guys and gals was hoping to get some help here. Had a battery for my jeep sitting in the back seat of my taco and well the damn thing exploded/leaked all over the seat. the passenger side was all wet. i have NO clue how or why this happend. it was a brand new battery.

anyway i know battery acid is obviously bad. it has yet to eat thru anything other than the pull loop for the seat to flip it up.

any ideas on what i can clean it with ?????

anything would be a great help

2. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    First thing I would do is pull the entire seat out, and anything else it touched.

Worst-case this will prevent it from eating through anything else.

I don't think there is going to be much you can do as far as "cleaning" it. You will just need to do something to neutralize the acid.

Fink

3. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
    Damn, that sucks... I don't know that you can "clean" it, and being an acid it's gonna start eating stuff up pretty quickly... How much liquid did spill? I guess you could try with some base to try and neutralize the acid and try to stop the damage...

4. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's on all four with some OME 885x's. Brute Force Fab front bumper. Warn winch. Koenig countersteers wrapped with duratracs.
    well looks like i know what il be doing tomorrow

5. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    If I were you...I'd do it ASAP. If it has actually eaten through the pull-loop already, it will do MUCH more by tomorrow.

Fink

6. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
    Yep, pour baking soda on everything that's still wet/damp. Don't wait until tomorrow!

7. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    alright...well im running out now to get some baking soda and gonna pour that over everything...read that it nutralizes it

8. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
    BTW... Probably a better idea next time is to carry the battery in a plastic container in the bed of the truck, instead of on the back seat... Just saying, not trying to lecture you or anything. Battery acid is pretty nasty stuff!

9. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    ^This.

I'd seriously just get a new seat dude. Fuck that one. Unless it's not a whole lot on there, but it sounds like it got nailed good. Hit a wrecker yard and call it a day.

10. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    TheGloryFades

TheGloryFades Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '13 toaster
    You may be able to file a claim with the battery manufacturer for compensation on the new seat since you said it was brand new

11. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Wow, I thought the guy that spilt a gallon of milk had it bad, this sucks way worse.

12. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    ^Gross. Take off an nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

13. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    Opihiman10

Opihiman10 Active Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 double cab 4x4 TRD SR5
    Nerf bars
    Hey the baking soda has to be solution. mix it with water soak every thing.

Good luck

OPI

14. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    yay chemistry!

agreed. pour baking soda on it, or pour the baking soda into a cup with water, and pour it on the seat.

15. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    yea i really wasnt thinking...i took it out of my bed cause i was going into work for a few hours and came back out and went to hang my jacket in the back up and saw a bunch of wetness....then realized it was the battery cause the battery was all wet on the sides.

I still dont know how a brand new battery can just bust like that.

yea i will see what happens...i can live without the lil loop to pull the seat up ha but if it eats through anything else i will just trash it and get a new one.

I certainly plan to call the company and let them know. I bought it from advanced auto zone. My old roommate works there so I will be going in there too and raising hell.

I bought the battery less than a year ago...and literally has sit on a trickle charge while i have been working on the jeep. I think it has been cranked like 3-4 times other than that sits inside a garage on a battery tender

16. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR

so here is what i did.

Bought 2 boxes of baking soda.

pour one whole box over everything to try to absorb what it could.

use a shop vac to get the good chunks of it off....

then mixed baking soda and water in a squirt bottle and SOAKED everything.

Took the seat off (its the side with the middle seat on it)

Did this till i was out of baking soda...then filled the bottle 4-5 times up and just used water on it to get it to hopefully soak through the whole cushion.

The baking soda DEFINITELY worked. As i put it on you could see it fizzing and bubbling as the chemicals reacted.

Unfortunatlely with 4-6inches of snow coming tomorrow I am not too sure how or when i will be able to check it all out...might have to have to put my moms car out of the garage so i can see what the damage is.

The seat is outside against my trash can drying out. Although it prob it freeze overnight.

I will keep ya all posted

Thanks for all your help guys. Tacoma World to the rescue again.

17. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    So then it's not BRAND NEW brand new. Hoo boy. The store is probably not going to take responsibility for it. They might say that they don't know how the battery was stored or what was done for the duration between the time you bought it to the time the damage was done. Keep in mind that for them to consider it, they will also have to take responsibility for any other situations such as this in the same time frame. They may not want to risk that kind of liability in order to take yours into consideration.

Kind of like the Toyota pedal/floor mat recall thing. Ended up it wasn't Toyota's fault after all and their reputation got beat up, plus it cost them a lot of money.

No way to put it in the garage? It probably would be best for it to dry out. Don't want it to sit wet/frozen because mold might set in?

18. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    this ^

unless its the stores battery its not going to be the stores fault.

You may be able to make a claim with the manufacturer if the battery is still under any structural warranty tho

but either way you WILL NEED EVIDENCE, hope you took some pictures or something

19. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Bummer... Shame you don't have a sport. I saved all my stock cloth from when I did the Leather conversion.:eek:

20. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Another thing I just thought about. I know it's a long shot but...

Say if you do put the seat in the garage and it dries out, then maybe sometime later you have someone sit back there -- their weight may press down into the cushion and if the acid isn't all gone or completely dried (being all trapped in the sponge like stuff and all) it might come back up and possibly burn your passenger.

Products Discussed in

To Top