Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Window Tinting

Old 11-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Question Window Tinting

So i have a 96 Toyota Tacoma with no window tinting at all. It is completely factory. I have wanted for a long time to have them tinted though. Mostly for looks and so people can not see what I have in the car. But a lot of my friends have had problems with their tints! They have went to get their car inspected and was told that the only way it would pass inspection was to take off the tints! I was wondering if this is true? And I was also wondering if anyone else has them and what tint % they used and all of the details. I live in North Carolina so everyone in the state please help me out! I also would like to know how much it cost you!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
it is not illegal to have window tint. but there are laws on how dark you can have it. I think 30% on the front side windows is the darkest you can go for most states.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Can they not pass you on a car inspection even if it is legal???
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorenApart View Post
Laws vary state to state.
Go here to see your state's laws.
http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Most shops will do whatever you want, especially if you go in person and/or pay in cash...

Depending on your tastes/ needs anywhere from 20% to 35% is sufficient.

Yea all I want to do right now is get the front windows tinted! That way it will be even with the back! I mean the back windows are pretty dark at just the stock so it would be nice to have the fronts even!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelfan_08 View Post
Yea all I want to do right now is get the front windows tinted! That way it will be even with the back! I mean the back windows are pretty dark at just the stock so it would be nice to have the fronts even!
Factory Toyota is ~20%. In NC i see the legal limit is 35% all around. I wouldn't worry about any window that can't be rolled down b/c their laser measuring tools have to be able to reach on both sides of the glass.

You should be able to get the fronts done for $50-$65 from a decent shop, after the inspection if you're wanting to match the fronts.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by keason1* View Post
it is not illegal to have window tint. But there are laws on how dark you can have it. I think 30% on the front side windows is the darkest you can go for most states.
in pa it is illegal unless it is from the factory!! It really sucks!!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance

Ok so I found a professional in my town today! It just so happens a buddy of mine is really good friends with him so he is going to give me a major discount! I will let you all know soon what the final price is, and what i plan on doing!!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
It is illegal in CA to have any tint on the 2 front windows, or windshield. period. Everyone still does it tho. I drove around for years in my old jetta with all the windows done, next to cops @ stop lights and all. I got pulled over for registration one day and he decided to write me for the windows too. I now have my taco tinted all around. looks much better
Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
It is illegal in CA to have any tint on the 2 front windows, or windshield. period. Everyone still does it tho. I drove around for years in my old jetta with all the windows done, next to cops @ stop lights and all. I got pulled over for registration one day and he decided to write me for the windows too. I now have my taco tinted all around. looks much better

The fine in CA is just $10 though right??
Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's called a "fix-it" ticket and yah it costs $10 + whatever it costs to have the tint removed (if you dont do it yourself)

this is why everyone still does it
Old 11-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance

I read that NC laws say you can have 35% all around! Does that mean that 20% is legal or illegal???
Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
╒╪╕

Illegal - lower the number, darker the tint - i believe..
Old 11-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
╒╪╕

I would contact yourt local PD to verify that law if you are worried about it. The website above isn't accurate for CA..
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NC/
see it says 35% of light must be able to get in! Im confused
Old 11-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
╒╪╕

Just know that the lower the percentage is, the darker the tint will be
Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, the percentage is the light "allowed" through...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Yep, the percentage is the light "allowed" through...

Well is the back window stock at 20 or 35??
Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
╒╪╕

i thought factory tint is 20, but that may vary by state if NC only allows 35...?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
i thought factory tint is 20, but that may vary by state if NC only allows 35...?

Thats what I thought! I planned on going to the tint shop and telling them I want to match it! and if it is illegal and i get pulled i will tell the cops its factory