Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Is This Normal?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Is This Normal?

I probably shouldn't compare the cooling system between our trucks and a car, but it has got me wondering.

My commute to school involves driving on the highway, 25 miles both home and back. On cooler/cool days my volvo's engine temp gauge usually reads at least a tick down from the middle after driving on the highway for a while. Now I know that isn't really a bad thing, I was just wondering why it's like that. When I drive my truck the engine temp needle doesn't change much. My friend suggested that the cooling system in my car is more efficient than the one in my truck, but it is an older car and has me puzzled. In fact, the SGII just shows only a few degrees in drop. In the truck, my normal operating temp is 184F, on the highway on a cooler day is 181F

The picture was from today, it was actually half-way between the 3rd and 4th tick mark...the engine just started warming up more as i was idling at a light.
Attached Thumbnails
Is This Normal?-tumblr_luu9zdirr61qehhlxo1_1280.jpg  
Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The calibrations for the gauge and sender are different.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The calibrations for the gauge and sender are different.
Wait, you aren't saying that my gauges are inaccurate are you?!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname150 View Post
Wait, you aren't saying that my gauges are inaccurate are you?!
No I'm saying that the calibration of the Toyota gauge and Volvo gauge are different in relation to actual temp. The temp gauge on the Taco is just an idiot light in disguise while the Volvo gauge is and actual temp gauge.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
No I'm saying that the calibration of the Toyota gauge and Volvo gauge are different in relation to actual temp. The temp gauge on the Taco is just an idiot light in disguise while the Volvo gauge is and actual temp gauge.
So would that mean the readings on my SGII (I keep that on the truck) is off too?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I have never ever seen my temp gauge fluctuate once I get to operating temperature.

In my mom's Benz, in the 2 BMW I have owned in the past, my sister's honda, in my friends Jetta, my cousin's Tourage, uncle's GMC sierra, they have all varied in indication depending on idle, engine load, and outside temperature.

Meaning, Tacoma's temp gauge is pretty much a dummy indicator (unless the cooling system is that awesome that it can maintain a steady temp no matter what)

Use your scangauge to monitor your temp.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
So would that mean the readings on my SGII (I keep that on the truck) is off too?
What I mean is that one gauge is programmed to be fake(Taco) and the other isn't(Volvo). There is nothing wrong with either vehicle though.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
What I mean is that one gauge is programmed to be fake(Taco) and the other isn't(Volvo). There is nothing wrong with either vehicle though.
Lol a "fake" temp gauge. Good going toyota...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
I have never ever seen my temp gauge fluctuate once I get to operating temperature.

In my mom's Benz, in the 2 BMW I have owned in the past, my sister's honda, in my friends Jetta, my cousin's Tourage, uncle's GMC sierra, they have all varied in indication depending on idle, engine load, and outside temperature.

Meaning, Tacoma's temp gauge is pretty much a dummy indicator (unless the cooling system is that awesome that it can maintain a steady temp no matter what)

Use your scangauge to monitor your temp.
Yeah I've noticed this with other cars too, I just found it odd how my tacoma doesn't really change either. oh well.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Lol a "fake" temp gauge. Good going toyota..
My Ranger had an oil pressure gauge and voltmeter. The oil pressure gauge would either be in the middle(engine running) or at low(engine off). The sender itself was just a pressure switch like the ones our Tacos have. EIther there was pressure or there isn't but nothing in between. The voltmeter would just stay in the middle unless the key was off. Actually it started falling as years went by.

My uncles Mitsubishi 3000GT had oil, volts and temp in the center dash. All were real gauges and would change as you drive.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #10

Quote:
My Ranger had an oil pressure gauge and voltmeter. The oil pressure gauge would either be in the middle(engine running) or at low(engine off). The sender itself was just a pressure switch like the ones our Tacos have. EIther there was pressure or there isn't but nothing in between. The voltmeter would just stay in the middle unless the key was off. Actually it started falling as years went by.

My uncles Mitsubishi 3000GT had oil, volts and temp in the center dash. All were rear gauges and would change as you drive.
See, I miss cars like that with the "real gauges"

We had an old 93 4Runner that had all those gauges like that (oil pressure, voltmeter, and etc.). Now most cars only have a speedo, tach, engine temp and fuel gauge.

And I have another question, it's related to the tacoma, but I don't want to open a whole new thread on the 2nd gen section...I've noticed recently that in the mornings my truck smells like it's burning oil or it's not burning the gasoline right, but I don't see any blue smoke. It's been going on for a while now, and it never had this distinct smell to it on cold starts. After the engine has warmed up the smell is gone.

Whats causing that smell?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Wait, our temp gauge is fake??? D:

This is news to me
Old 11-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
Wait, our temp gauge is fake??? D:

This is news to me
Not exactly "fake"

Just some cars have more accurate gauges than ours.

That's why I usually depend on my SGII to show my temps!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
Tarik will become famous soon enough

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
My BMW 335i used to run ridiculously hot. So hot that the needle would be pinned in the red constantly. BMW said it was ok in spite of protests worldwide, so the next year they re-calibrated the gauge on all new 335's which still run hot but you'll never know.
Just learn your gauge and monitor your range...the #'s are just superfluous.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe they ought to replace it with an idiot light like in the 2008+ Subie Imprezas:
Blue light when the coolant's cold.
No light in normal operating range.
Red light when the coolant's too hot.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Maybe they ought to replace it with an idiot light like in the 2008+ Subie Imprezas:
That is how it was on my friend's Beetle.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Old Beetle? What does the temp sensor measure on an air-cooled engine? Oil temp?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #17
Banned
New Beetle.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
My Honda had that. I hated it.

The truck has a more consistent airflow over the radiator with the belt-driven fan. The car has an electric fan that will likely not turn on until the coolant temperature is 200F or more. That's the biggest reason for the variance IMO.