Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

1997 Chrysler Cirrus

Old 11-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
1997 Chrysler Cirrus

My mother-in-law desperately needs a new vehicle because her GMC Safari is a rolling death trap. She can't even afford to fix the GMC so my wife and I are trying to find a cheap vehicle in better shape to replace it. I have a friend who is selling a 1997 Chrysler Cirrus with 182,000 miles. It looks to be in good shape, but I have zero experience with Chrysler vehicles. If anyone here has experience with this car, please let me know. I'd hate to buy her another rolling death trap.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say buying her a 1997 Chrysler with 182,000 miles isn't a very wise idea...
Old 11-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
What is the price of the vehicle vs the repairs needed on the Safari?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
I'd say buying her a 1997 Chrysler with 182,000 miles isn't a very wise idea...
Normally, I would agree with you. But her van is in bad shape and none of us are in a position to buy her a newer vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
What is the price of the vehicle vs the repairs needed on the Safari?
Chrysler = $2,000. Repairs to the Safari = ~$5,000.

I've read lots of reviews on the '97 Cirrus and the biggest issue seems to be the brakes wearing out quickly. They look reliable other than that. I was just hoping to find someone who has experience with one.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Tarik will become famous soon enough

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say if you're in cahoots with your in-law, then buying her a Chrysler Cirrus is a great idea!

Buy a Honda. Any Honda.
They're unkillable.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
jmayday23 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joel
jmayday23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik View Post
I'd say if you're in cahoots with your in-law, then buying her a Chrysler Cirrus is a great idea!

Buy a Honda. Any Honda.
They're unkillable.
^This

Buying an american made car with 182,000 miles is a recipe for disaster. I would stick with a Civic or Camry, even if they had 182,000 miles they'd still be much better than any Chrysler, Ford, Chevy in that range.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Weapon Mechanic

My other options was trying to find a Toyota RAV4 in that same $2 - $3k range, but they are usually 200,000 miles or more.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Weapon Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
yeah but then it still will have like 100k of life left in it if its been taken care of and if you take care of it.
I take immaculate care of MY vehicles. Her Safari leaks oil and she doesn't think to add any until it starts making knocking/squealing noises...
Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you worried about a 200K+ vehicle, when the Chrysler is at 187K? Espeically when the 200K vehicle is a Yota or Honda.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
I would stay away from Chrysler at any miles to be honest.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Weapon Mechanic

Thanks for all of the input guys. Like I said, I've had no experience with Chryslers and didn't know how well they hold up over time. Apparently I'll be looking elsewhere.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Chrysler reliability is near the bottom of the barrel. The Cirrus won't be a rolling death trap, because it probably won't be rolling for much longer...

The Safari driver's compartment is part of the crumple zone it seems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kuSghb7P7U
Old 12-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #14
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

The Safari driver's compartment is part of the crumple zone it seems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kuSghb7P7U
it seems like the front 3/4 is part of the crumple zone
Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
bobg03 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Retired Chauffer
bobg03's Tacoma Gallery
I'd not only shy, but actually run away from the Chrysler....tranny, cooling system, brakes, there's 3 good reasons alone.

IMHO Hyundai is another option, any model newer than 03 is a pretty reliable vehicle if it was maintained.

When my 3 (now adult) boys were younger, they killed many good cars.....every Hyundai they had was pretty indestructable.