Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anyone own/have opinions on the Nissan Murano?

Old 12-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
MGH-PA will become famous soon enough

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone own/have opinions on the Nissan Murano?

With a certain expected bias aside, I would appreciate opinions comments. My wife and I are looking to replace her Mazda Tribute. We're looking for something to take on long road trips, and of course most running around town will occur in this (I just drive my truck to work, and for my own personal uses) so ride comfort and amenities are a major priority.

With that being said, my wife is a VERY tepid driver in the snow, and living where we do, we see a fair share of it. Coming from a 4wd, where she can just press a button, and she's good to go, to a part-time AWD system in the Murano has me a little worried. I've heard some not so great things about part time AWD systems not engaging long enough or with enough duration (especially at speeds greater than 15mph) to truly give a great snow performance feel.

We've test drove both the 11 4Runner and 11 Murano SL (the final two). I LOVED the 4Runner, but of course, I like the ride height, and the feel (a bit more truck like than the crossover Murano). Admittedly, there are not near as many bells and whistles on the 4runner as there are on the Murano, and I didn't get a chance to evaluate long term comfort (although I can tell the Murano is WAY more comfortable).

I know my wife is not planning to offroad this vehicle, but two major things are giving me some hesitation. One, it's a Nissan. I've heard really GREAT things about them, but also some HORRENDOUS stories (i.e. Titan). Secondly, the AWD vs. 4wd system.

I know long term resale value is undoubtedly favoring the 4Runner, but then again, I REALLY don't think my wife likes it as much.

I'll be showing my wife the responses to this thread, so, any input and or opinions (constructive) are really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
All I can say is that they are UGLY as _HIT. Other than that I have no idea how good a vehicle they are. But if the wife likes it, ya got to remember: "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Top gear seem to like them. The AWD should work well in the snow.

Hideous though.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH-PA View Post
With a certain expected bias aside, I would appreciate opinions comments. My wife and I are looking to replace her Mazda Tribute. We're looking for something to take on long road trips, and of course most running around town will occur in this (I just drive my truck to work, and for my own personal uses) so ride comfort and amenities are a major priority.

With that being said, my wife is a VERY tepid driver in the snow, and living where we do, we see a fair share of it. Coming from a 4wd, where she can just press a button, and she's good to go, to a part-time AWD system in the Murano has me a little worried. I've heard some not so great things about part time AWD systems not engaging long enough or with enough duration (especially at speeds greater than 15mph) to truly give a great snow performance feel.

We've test drove both the 11 4Runner and 11 Murano SL (the final two). I LOVED the 4Runner, but of course, I like the ride height, and the feel (a bit more truck like than the crossover Murano). Admittedly, there are not near as many bells and whistles on the 4runner as there are on the Murano, and I didn't get a chance to evaluate long term comfort (although I can tell the Murano is WAY more comfortable).

I know my wife is not planning to offroad this vehicle, but two major things are giving me some hesitation. One, it's a Nissan. I've heard really GREAT things about them, but also some HORRENDOUS stories (i.e. Titan). Secondly, the AWD vs. 4wd system.

I know long term resale value is undoubtedly favoring the 4Runner, but then again, I REALLY don't think my wife likes it as much.

I'll be showing my wife the responses to this thread, so, any input and or opinions (constructive) are really appreciated. Thanks!
The older ones had problems with the CVT transmission. I don't know if they have fixed them, but 75K miles was a common lifespan for them. One owner I spoke with said he paid 4K for a USED transmission to be installed when his went out. A friend that worked in a trans shop told me the 75K figure. I would investigate the transmission's reliability in more recent years.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
x2 ^ My friend used to work at a car shop before he got a job at toyota. He used to brag he found a shortcut that took a few hours off the time it took to change out the tranny in them. May have involved a little bit of welding but would cost the customer half of what nissan would charge for flat rate. That being said he talked my gfs parents out of buying one.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine has one and he said it's terrible in the snow. Granted he has a higher trim level with the 20" wheels and likely summer performance tires(although I thought he said he bought better tires). So if you decide on that perhaps wheel choice may be wanted to be taken into consideration since you're in the NE and it will likely see a lot of snow duty. Other than that, I don't have an issue with them(unless you're considering that dumbass cabriolet version lol).
Old 12-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f133968
Gulp.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #8

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the CVT issues I'm aware of, and it's some concern. I asked the sales person about his thoughts on that (just for entertainment purposes), and he fed me a line about the issues arising from people having them flushed at non-dealer service centers.

I don't necessarily think they're terribly ugly, but I agree they certainly aren't the nicest looking vehicles out there.

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
.<>./

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH-PA View Post
Yeah, the CVT issues I'm aware of, and it's some concern. I asked the sales person about his thoughts on that (just for entertainment purposes), and he fed me a line about the issues arising from people having them flushed at non-dealer service centers.

I don't necessarily think they're terribly ugly, but I agree they certainly aren't the nicest looking vehicles out there.

Thanks for the input so far.
If it has a qood warranty on it. There is something to be said for a comfortable vehicle. Road test it this weekend if your getting snow like MA is
Old 12-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
XXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy and his wife looked at those and said they were too small inside. He liked the AWD, but felt the nissan looked cheap and small inside. They ended up getting a toyota highlander hybrid with the AWD. So far so good with it, from what I've heard.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
i live where there is alot of snow during the winter. no one here drives a vehicle with AWD, only 4 wheel drive and that's with very good reason. i would think you have a similar, if not just a tiny bit less snow in PA. but still a considerable amount from what you describe.

that being said, i would NEVER consider an AWD vehicle in anyplace that has a decent amount of snow. that goes DOUBLE if the vehicle is going to be for my wife. they do not match true 4wd for snow performance at all. you will be VERY unhappy with an AWD system and you may wind up in some uncomfortable situations going with the murano. snow tires will help, but that is extra cost and still won't match the performance you will get with true 4wd..

i am not surprised your wife prefers the murano to the 4 runner. the murano is more car like and low to the ground. the 4 runner more truck like and you sit up higher. however, the 4 runner is still one incredibly well built and nice vehicle to drive. they have been making it for a very, very long time and it has really become very refined.

i would have your wife take another test drive in the 4runner, and if she liked it enough, that would hands down be my choice.

ps - my wife drives a brand new suburban and LOVES it. she used to drive a nissan sentra before i met her. go figure.

good luck with your decision.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #12

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhart View Post
i live where there is alot of snow during the winter. no one here drives a vehicle with AWD, only 4 wheel drive and that's with very good reason. i would think you have a similar, if not just a tiny bit less snow in PA. but still a considerable amount from what you describe.

that being said, i would NEVER consider an AWD vehicle in anyplace that has a decent amount of snow. that goes DOUBLE if the vehicle is going to be for my wife. they do not match true 4wd for snow performance at all. you will be VERY unhappy with an AWD system and you may wind up in some uncomfortable situations going with the murano. snow tires will help, but that is extra cost and still won't match the performance you will get with true 4wd..

i am not surprised your wife prefers the murano to the 4 runner. the murano is more car like and low to the ground. the 4 runner more truck like and you sit up higher. however, the 4 runner is still one incredibly well built and nice vehicle to drive. they have been making it for a very, very long time and it has really become very refined.

i would have your wife take another test drive in the 4runner, and if she liked it enough, that would hands down be my choice.

ps - my wife drives a brand new suburban and LOVES it. she used to drive a nissan sentra before i met her. go figure.

good luck with your decision.
Thanks, that's a lot along the lines of what I was thinking. My parents have owned a Subaru Outback (2003, 2008 and now a 2011), and love them in the snow here, and the just plow through everything (parents live on 90 acres, and have a 1/4 mile hillside driveway). BUT, that's a different AWD system.

We have time to decide (there are great incentives now, but her car is paid for, low mileage, and nothing's wrong with it other than lack of amenities and comfort). I don't want regrets with a purchase this big.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Nissan Sentra, put 115000 miles on it and it never once left me stranded, VERY dependable vehicle. With that said, I think I would go with the Suburu as far as how good it is in the snow/ice. I really liked the Outback when I was out looking for vehicles before getting my Tacoma, but of course wanting a truck really bad, and it being my first one I'm very happy with my purchase! Good Luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #14
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would really try to talk her into the 4 runner. Reliability and resale are much more important to me that a couple of extra creature comforts.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to check into a certified Lexus. You are covered for 3 years and up to 100,000 miles on the ODO, from the day you purchase...the exclusions are mostly cosmetic thing. As far as I can tell it covers everything a new car would have covered. Unless you are going to lease then its a MOO point.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #16

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, guys. While the Subaru's are proven in the snow, they're barebones inside, and I haven't sat in one that was comfortable. That's why we never considered them.

My wife's initial number 1 choice was an RX350, but we just can't justify spending $40k on a used vehicle (low mileage 2011s are the only one's we're looking at) when you're still getting the same part time AWD system that's causing our initial concern.

There truly is a niche in the market that's missing for a luxury 4WD for under $40k MSRP.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
I'd vote for the 4Runner
My wife has a 4Runner and would never part with it.
I feel very safe knowing my kids are in something safe and dependable.
However, whenever I mod the Taco, she gets jelly and wants the same for the 4Runner...can't really argue there
Old 12-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #18
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
FYI Had two Murano's sold the past 6 months. Both came back. One lost the trans and the other split the transfer case in half.. Just saying......
Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
You can't have your cake and eat it too. I feel your pain.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i like them the new ones are nice i never had any problems with any of the nissans i ever owned. i test drove the new model fully loaded a couple years back when the first hit our shores and we both liked it a lot the dealer was being a dick so we went a subaru instead thats all my wife has ever driven.

imo look into the new outback my wife just bought a 2012 and its a really nice suv i say suv because i really never knew what else to call them. or the 4 runner man you can't go wrong with a runner imo either.