Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

need help diagnosing problem in girlfriends honda

Old 12-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
need help diagnosing problem in girlfriends honda

she tells me it makes a whining noise when she first starts it up and it goes away over time. SHe said it gets louder when she lets off the gas. checked everything out and all looks good, I was thinking timing belt but I really dont have a clue because everytime I try to hear it it doesnt do it for me.
I need to find a good forum like this for civics. I would appreciate your help.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
maybe an idler is going out? i had an idler do this to me one time. it would whine real bad.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
maybe an idler is going out? i had an idler do this to me one time. it would whine real bad.
at times it does act like its gonna die at redlights but it doesnt. I would just have to replace the timing belt if it was the idler pulley then
Old 12-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
How old is the civic? I've had alternators and ac compressors with similar symptoms when the bearings were starting to go. Compressor would be my first guess. They whine more when cold but level off a little once the juices start to flow. When you let off the gas you change the torque direction of accessory pulleys so any that are dragging will get temporarily louder.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
How old is the civic? I've had alternators and ac compressors with similar symptoms when the bearings were starting to go. Compressor would be my first guess. They whine more when cold but level off a little once the juices start to flow. When you let off the gas you change the torque direction of accessory pulleys so any that are dragging will get temporarily louder.
2001 with 150k miles, ac doesnt work so we dont run that, I looked at the power steernig pump but Im clueless when it comes to hondas.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
DCtaco05 will become famous soon enough

Name: dustin
DCtaco05's Tacoma Gallery
i would check the serpentine belts. They might look good (no cracks or anything) but overtime the can get just a little stretched out, i guess you would say.

My taco was squealing when i started it up for a period of time and it wouldn't go away. Just kept getting worse and worse. replaced the serpentine belt and good to go.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

Name: Steven
slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
i would say alternator. Hondas usually dont have serpentine belts, they have different belts for the alt/power steering/etc.

i would start with tightening down the powersteering belt (it should be a simple wing nut depending on the year)
Old 12-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
also i just seen where you said it would start to die. I would think that ac compressor is starting to lock up causing the car to stall
Old 12-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #9

I know the compressor is bad, she doesnt run the ac, could I just take the compressor off or would that screw up the belt system
Old 12-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodc4 View Post
also i just seen where you said it would start to die. I would think that ac compressor is starting to lock up causing the car to stall
^^
This. Especially when you added that the ac doesn't work. FYI, it's a good idea to add that type of detail when asking for advice on a forum like this.

Tightening up the belt will NOT help if that is the problem. It's not a belt slipping but actually bearing squeal which will most likely get worse with a tighter belt. If the belt is completely dedicated to the ac, just take it off. If it isn't too far gone you might be able to get the ac system recharged and it could go away. The refrigerant is actually lube for the compressor as well.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Conceal Carry

slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
what year/body is the car? you could take the ac compressor completely out since your not using it. AC runs off of its own belt therefore wont affect anything. You might see better gas milage since there is one less belt turning one less pully.

if you didnt want to take the acutal compressor off, just cut the belt

^^^this is depending on if your ac runs off of one belt that doesnt connect to anything else
Old 12-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #12

2001 civic, I tried to find a forum for civics but I cant find one like tacomaworld
Old 12-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Conceal Carry

slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
yeah im pretty sure your ac doesnt affect anything else. id cut the belt since your not using it. plus if you ever decide you need it then you can buy an $8 belt

that honda, b or d series, doesnt use a serpentine belt
Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #14

Quote:
yeah im pretty sure your ac doesnt affect anything else. id cut the belt since your not using it. plus if you ever decide you need it then you can buy an $8 belt

that honda, b or d series, doesnt use a serpentine belt
Wouldnt you get the same effect if you just didnt run the ac? I will try to turn the ac on and off and see what happens
Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
Conceal Carry

slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
regardless if the ac is not on, the pulley still turns; the ac is just not engaged by the clutch
Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #16

Quote:
regardless if the ac is not on, the pulley still turns; the ac is just not engaged by the clutch
alright thanks man, I will see what I can do
Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
Conceal Carry

slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
not a problem man. this may not be a solution, but its one area to definitely look at. Ive been working on hondas for a LONG time
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
x10000 on the alternator, The sound is being drown out by the engine while accelerating and when the motor is quiet, in idle the alternator whine increases.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #19
kimo will become famous soon enough

Name: Darin
kimo's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a belt or pulley to me too. I have an accord and sometimes get fix info off honda forum. goodluck
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #20
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
I'd vote alternator or AC if it still has a belt on it. Sometimes a cheap belt will make noise.

What I have done, and do this at your own risk, is to take 3' or so length of garden hose (no fittings) and put one end on my ear and the other end on the suspected accessory.

Don't get hung up in the friggin belts !

It's a hillbilly stethoscope and you can hear a bad bearing very easily.
A healthy bearing will have a "woosh" sound and a bad one will have a growl.

A noisy v-belt can sometimes be identified by squirting a little water on it.
It will instantly, but temporarily quiet it.
I have found that Gates belts are best.