Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Sports car for ~$25k...?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Sports car for ~$25k...?

New, used...doesn't matter. Let's say you have roughly $25k to spend on an additional car. You own a Tacoma so naturally 100% of your daily driving NEEDS are met. Groceries, getting wood at Lowes, carrying 5 people, camping, commuting....you've got that shit on lockdown with the truck and it's not going anywhere. So this additional vehicle is strictly a toy.

A proper toy in my opinion should be fast, retarded fun to drive, and look the part too. Newer is better but older is fine as long as the rebuild/restore monies and headache are worth it. Out of the box performance is a big plus but modifying things is fine since I wont be daily driving this vehicle and it doesn't have to run for me to go about my daily life.

So for roughly $25k what would you get?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
A BMW
Old 12-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Older M3, corvette, may be able to find a decent 911. Or buy a 350/370Z and put money into it, maybe even an S2000 if you can find a decent one.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
07 Subaru WRX STI
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
The new scion FR-S coming this spring. I think this car would be a good addition to my toyota family.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
07 Subaru WRX STI
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
03/04 Mustang Cobra.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
You can score a used low mileage 2009-2010 Sport model 370z for around 30K or less for a base 370z. I'm partial to the 370z because that was my last car -- best bang for your buck!

Other Options: C5 Vette, 350z, S2000, WRX STI, EVO, Mustang Cobra

I wouldn't go for a BMW, with only $25K to spend you will end up with a high mileage older model.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntaco View Post
Older M3, corvette, may be able to find a decent 911. Or buy a 350/370Z and put money into it, maybe even an S2000 if you can find a decent one.
M3's never really piqued my interest. But it does remind me of the Mcoupe which is something that really DOES pique my interest. I'd only get one if it had the S54 engine in it. The earlier ones are nice but knowing that the 330hp version exists would haunt me forever.

My mom has a G37 so I feel like I have that base covered.

The S2000 is quite appealing. I'd have to first come to terms with the fact that I'll never get any more HP than stock unless I boost. Great balance and dynamics though. I love that car.
Quote:
07 Subaru WRX STI
I feel like that's a REALLY smart option and hits most of the check boxes. Problem is though that it's almost TOO practical to be a toy. I feel like to justify having a second car it must be so crazy it justifies it's existence by nature of it's outrageousness. (<---totally a word)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35man View Post
The new scion FR-S coming this spring. I think this car would be a good addition to my toyota family.
I've had my eye on them for quite some time. My only qualm with them is that they put what I'd consider to be a half assed engine in it. The looks are awesome and 2700lbs is EXACTLY what I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
03/04 Mustang Cobra.
I love the terminators. You sneeze and they make power. But I don't think they really enjoy going round corners all that well.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Matt
Dr. Pepper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
07 Subaru WRX STI
x123144568865667
Old 12-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
M3's never really piqued my interest. But it does remind me of the Mcoupe which is something that really DOES pique my interest. I'd only get one if it had the S54 engine in it. The earlier ones are nice but knowing that the 330hp version exists would haunt me forever.

My mom has a G37 so I feel like I have that base covered.

The S2000 is quite appealing. I'd have to first come to terms with the fact that I'll never get any more HP than stock unless I boost. Great balance and dynamics though. I love that car.

I feel like that's a REALLY smart option and hits most of the check boxes. Problem is though that it's almost TOO practical to be a toy. I feel like to justify having a second car it must be so crazy it justifies it's existence by nature of it's outrageousness. (<---totally a word)

I've had my eye on them for quite some time. My only qualm with them is that they put what I'd consider to be a half assed engine in it. The looks are awesome and 2700lbs is EXACTLY what I want.

I love the terminators. You sneeze and they make power. But I don't think they really enjoy going round corners all that well.
Those Cobras have a better suspension vs the GTs, don't they? Could make all the difference in corners.

If you want light weight, a Type R Integra? Those are like 2600 lbs stock. I have one myself. It's FWD, but I've put on big cheesy grins when I get a point-by from the big iron cars on the track. (And yes, some big iron is driven well and hands me my ass...even little iron for that matter.) They're about 10 yrs old now, but you can find some that have been babied. Mine has been driven like an angry bitch and seems to love it! Great reliability.

The FR-S reminds me of that car, from what I've seen on it. Whenever I see the battery against the passenger firewall, that makes me think they were doing it right. The FR-S offers RWD as a bonus. Learn to make that thing go fast around the track and you make the best mod you can - upgraded steering-wheel-seatback-connector - ie, the driver! But that's me - I like to spend a couple wkends a year on a road course.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
07 Subaru WRX STI
thats what i would do! probly my favorite car (that i could ever afford of course)
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Corvette or '05 or newer Mustang GT.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
03/04 Mustang Cobra.
Times a bazillion. You can get bone stock cobras all day long for around 20k with relatively low miles. And they handle great around turns because they are IRS.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Late 90s viper
Old 12-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #16
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
You can find some awesome stuff ....

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/

Take your cash, find something you like, and pray!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the new celica coming out soon.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
S2000

or if you're manly enough, a miata and build it up crazy.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
Sounds Gooooood

A used Lotus Elise has me thinking. Those can be had for under $30. That would be an intense ride for sure. I've also thought about a 3rd Generation RX7. And no the rotary doesn't scare me because I know how it works. I'd prefer to find a really clean exterior/interior chassis with a blown up engine that I'd get to rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
I would get the new celica coming out soon.
........what?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #20
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
BMW...3 series.