Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Insurance in a different state?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Insurance in a different state?

Ok so basically while I'm going to college my parents are paying for my car insurance through State Farm. I want to register my car in Oregon however, being that I live here now and have no plans on moving in the foreseeable future (and technically you're supposed to register your car within 30 days of moving).

Is it possible to register my car in Oregon if my parents are paying for the insurance in another state or would I have to get my own insurance in Oregon? I did some research but couldn't find any definitive answers.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have an accident. If you do have an accident, remember, it was an accident.

I know no answer to this.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Don't have an accident. If you do have an accident, remember, it was an accident.

I know no answer to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
You should have insurance that is tied to the location your truck is getting used. Example-My truck is registered in FL but insurance is in LA.
It should be an easy call to State Farm to make the change.

So they can still pay for it on their bill with their other 2 cars, all we'd have to do is tell them that the 4Runner is located in Oregon?
Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar thing with state farm, live in va, vehicle was from, and insured in PA. They said no go. Even though I'm military.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah easiest way to find out is just give them a quick call, that way its confirmed and since their still getting your money I'm sure they would be happy to help you out.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
And I would check and make sure as a student you are required to change registrations and stuff....
I'd like to change registration to Oregon, it's cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
I had a similar thing with state farm, live in va, vehicle was from, and insured in PA. They said no go. Even though I'm military.
Thanks for the input, I guess the best thing to do at this point is just call and ask.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Yeah easiest way to find out is just give them a quick call, that way its confirmed and since their still getting your money I'm sure they would be happy to help you out.
Yep, it's all about them getting our money.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post

So they can still pay for it on their bill with their other 2 cars, all we'd have to do is tell them that the 4Runner is located in Oregon?
Yup-I do it when I move for the military.
Might change the premium by a few bucks one way or the other...but it should be that easy.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Yup-I do it when I move for the military.
Might change the premium by a few bucks one way or the other...but it should be that easy.

Thanks Mark.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
i saw in your build you had cali plates... chances are that depending on which part of portland you live and which part of cali your parents live you might get cheaper rates in or. i am from or. and had all my vehicles registered there and was stationed in san diego. i had to have insurance in cali though. when i switched my truck and wifes car back to or. insurance before a deployment i saved like 200 dollars for 6 months. your problem is going to be the dmv fees. you will have smog because older than 5 years, reg.,plates, and title transfer.. not sure about the fees nowadays but a couple years ago that was 21 for smog 77 title transfer and plates were like 23 and reg was like 56 if i remember right. then if you dont stay in or. after college you will have to do it all over again where ever you go.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SuperwhiteTRD View Post
i saw in your build you had cali plates... chances are that depending on which part of portland you live and which part of cali your parents live you might get cheaper rates in or. i am from or. and had all my vehicles registered there and was stationed in san diego. i had to have insurance in cali though. when i switched my truck and wifes car back to or. insurance before a deployment i saved like 200 dollars for 6 months. your problem is going to be the dmv fees. you will have smog because older than 5 years, reg.,plates, and title transfer.. not sure about the fees nowadays but a couple years ago that was 21 for smog 77 title transfer and plates were like 23 and reg was like 56 if i remember right. then if you dont stay in or. after college you will have to do it all over again where ever you go.
I'm planning on staying in Oregon for......a while.

I know the transfer fees will add up, but in the long run it'll be cheaper. My registration is due in March for my California plates, so I figured now is a good time to switch.

Isn't registration good for 2 years in Oregon as well?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
yeah it sure is. if your staying in or. then it will be worth it. also when you go to the dmv stay away from the one on 82nd and powell... that place is a freaking zoo.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SuperwhiteTRD View Post
yeah it sure is. if your staying in or. then it will be worth it. also when you go to the dmv stay away from the one on 82nd and powell... that place is a freaking zoo.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #17
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
What ever is cheaper
Old 12-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #18

Marines:
no problem.. i had to get a vin check on a 4wheeler and went to that one and it took like 3 hours. i always use the dmv out in gresham off of powell by hwy 26. i am not sure if there is still a deq off 181st and powell but that one was normally fast as well.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should have insurance that is tied to the location your truck is getting used. Example-My truck is registered in FL but insurance is in LA.
It should be an easy call to State Farm to make the change.
I lived in the Big Easy for 8 months, working out of the Michoud NASA installation. Had I moved my registration from Tampa, my rates with SF would've been higher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post

Either one of you ever heard of USAA? Happy former SF customer now with USAA...

To the OP, GENERALLY you as a college student are only required to transfer registration if the vehicle is a) registered in your name, and b) you transfer your legal residence (e.g. get a driver's license and voter reg from the new state), otherwise you are not generally considered a "legal resident".
Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
Required minimum coverage is different depending on states. My advise is to just tell the insurance company it is primarily used in Oregon, and if you're going to register in oregon, it'll be cheaper all around to do the insurance in oregon too... especially coming from cali! I was military in Cali, OR drivers license, AZ plates on my truck, and California insurance... LOL

Good ol USAA