Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

WTF? How did my gf not tell me until now that her dad drives a Hilux?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
WTF? How did my friend not tell me until now that her dad drives a Hilux?

She knows how obsessed I am with my Taco, and her dad owns a Toyota/Lexus dealership in the DR, but I have no idea how she never got around to telling me that her dad has a Hilux.

Anyway, we just got back from vacation down in the DR and I got to drive her dad's truck quite a bit.

Here's a couple pix:

Kinda weird how the skewp is off-center on the hood, but I guess it's actually functional:

Didn't like the interior nearly as much as my Taco, but the factory in-dash stereo/nav was nice, and he said he could get me one for my Taco for cheap:

In the past, I was never really interested in having a diesel Tacoma, but after driving the Hilux I would really LOVE to have a diesel. It's much quieter than I would have thought, has great power, and gets around 10 km/l which is about 23-24 mpg on average (not bad for a 4x4). We talked quite a bit about doing a diesel swap in a 2nd gen Taco, and he said it has been done in the DR and isn't that hard to do. If anyone has any questions about doing it, I'm sure I could ask for you.

They also have TONS of Taco's in the DR:

Anyway, we had an awesome time down there. Stayed a nice resort on the beach for a few days and soaked in lots of pina coladas con rum blanco.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken taco View Post
thats so tight. ive always wanted to drive a hilux. i wish they sold them here in America. If you make yours into a diesel you should make a write up
I wish, but nah -- even with the hook up of parts at cost it would be way too expensive. If for any reason I ever need a new engine when my Taco gets high in mileage, I may consider it. But of course it would require a lot more than just the engine -- would need new computer, transmission, etc.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
I was just in th DR last year and man I saw alot of toyotas
Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
DR?

DR = what?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Dominican Republic?
duh

ty whiteT
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Tacohead
HuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
HuntnTruk's Tacoma Gallery
How was the power and drivetrain compared to our Tacos?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #10

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntnTruk View Post
How was the power and drivetrain compared to our Tacos?
It's hard to explain, but it felt a little more lively during accelerations than my Taco. It wasn't so much that it accelerated faster, it just felt like it accelerated with more authority, shifted smoother between the gears, seemed like the engine wasn't working as hard. Hard to explain.

It felt overall much tighter in how it handled, but that could be because it was practically brand new and I'm used to my Taco which has over 130K on it. The steering felt heavier, almost the way my Taco feels when it's in 4hi. Kind of strange. Overall, I really loved the way it drove. If it wasn't for the more utilitarian, unrefined appearance of the interior, and the slightly less masculine look of the front end, I'd have to say that I might prefer the truck over the Taco. The interior was kind of a cross between that of a 1st gen and 2nd gen Taco, with leather. Less spiffy looking than the 2nd gen interior, even tho it had leather and a touch screen head unit.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome trucks, but ugly as hell.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
My friends wife is drom the DR. I heard its actually a pretty nice place to vacation at. I think its pretty cool they have Toyota dealerships there, and so many toyotas around. I want a hilux engine in my taco.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Eh. Is your life different now that you know?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Awesome trucks, but ugly as hell.
My thoughts as well, looks like a Ford Sport-Trac that melted somewhat.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #17
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
So why exactly is the scoop off center? And how is it functional? As if the Hilux wasn't ugly enough already...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #19
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
It's just like hooking up with a chick on vacation, it's great wow! Then get her home you ask your self WTF was I thinking. Scoop off center ( I did not see her teeth I was looking at her boobs). Get my point?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #20
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
So why exactly is the scoop off center? And how is it functional? As if the Hilux wasn't ugly enough already...
I believe the skewp sits directly over a top mounted intercooler. Not exactly pretty, but damn funtional

OP: Any idea on the cost difference between a Taco and a Hilux? My dad was in South America recently and they pay almost $60,000 for a hilux like that down there