Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Rav4, Highlander or 4Runner?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Zombie Killer of the Year - Nominee
Hilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Hilborn's Tacoma Gallery
Rav4, Highlander or 4Runner?

Looking at buying a daily driver in the near future. I like my Tacoma so much I want to stay with Toyota. Looking at getting a small to medium sized SUV. My top 3 choices are the Rav4, Highlander and the 4Runner. My requirements are V6, AWD/4x4, and Auto. Not looking to do any offroading but I would like to be able to jump a curb here and there. What's your opinions?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
They're all decent, depends on your budget and how much room you need. If you're getting the V6, you'll probably have more luck finding one in the Highlander or the 4Runner. The Rav4 is small and does pretty well with the 4 banger. The 4Runner is just as big as the Tacoma so unless you need something that big, I'd stick with the smaller ones.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Hilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shedHilborn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hilborn's Tacoma Gallery
I believe that the Rav4 with the 269hp V6 is currently Toyota's fastest vechile. My opinions were Rav4 Limited, Highlander SE and either SR5 or Sport for the 4Runner(09).
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilborn View Post
I believe that the Rav4 with the 269hp V6 is currently Toyota's fastest vechile. My opinions were Rav4 Limited, Highlander SE and either SR5 or Sport for the 4Runner(09).
What's your criteria for a daily driver if you're keeping the Tacoma? You won't gain any MPG's with any of those (maybe the Rav4) and the 4Runner is just as big as the Tacoma. Most people who have a Tacoma, their daily driver is either smaller or more fuel efficient but it sounds like yours will be more of a second vehicle Any of those vehicles will jump a curb, it just comes down to size. They're all nice for what they are but they're 3 different classes of SUV, how big of a vehicle do you want? Kind of an apples and oranges comparison in my opinion vs. comparing say a 4Runner to an Explorer or a Pathfinder.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
If I was getting one of those as a DD it would be a 4cyl Rav4 sport. Although my overall Toyota pick would be a 4cyl Camry SE.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
The rav with a 6cyl is a rocket but your mpg will suffer over the capable 4cyl!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
When my wifes 02 4Runner needs replacing, we are going with a 4 cyl. Rav 4. We have had them as rentals on vacation quite a few times and they seem to be real nice and economical. I've never driven one in snow, but it looks like you don't need to deal that in Texas. They are pretty pricey new, that's the drawback. We will probably look for a used one.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Speeeeeeeed
cevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Cesar
cevaes's Tacoma Gallery
HIGHLANDER!!!! i had one and i loved it!!, it was the sport and it was pretty fast, confortable and good looking
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl RAV4 ... that's what I've got in mind when my wife is ready to replace her Escape.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
We have owned a 07 4 runner & traded it on a 11 highlander, the 4 runner rode like a taco but the highlander drives more like a camry. Never driven a RAV4 but I know I miss my 4-runner when on a bumpy gravel road but I am glad I have the highlander on long trips its so comfortable to drive.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Highlander=Avalon, Venza=Camry. As far as I know. I like the Highlander SE, personally. But the RAV4 is not bad either. I prefer it with the sport effects, or whatever, package... No spare on the rear. The 4Runner seems a bit large for a daily, especially if you already have a Tacoma for off-roading.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
MyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really nice

MyYota05's Tacoma Gallery
I have test drove a Rav4 before and though it looked nice, it rode rough compared to the other Toyota SUV's due to the short wheel base, I would go with the 4Runner or the Highlander, just my opinion though good luck with your decision.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #14

Hilborn's Tacoma Gallery
Gas milage improvement over the Tacoma isn't a top priority. It would be nice. But most of my driving is in the city, having a DCLB some times becomes a pain in the ass when you have to park it in parking lot made more for something like a smart car. Being able to go over a curb is my way of saying, for some reason here, our roads are always under construction and having some thing that can easily get over a curb will help you get around a 2 hour delay.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilborn View Post
Gas milage improvement over the Tacoma isn't a top priority. It would be nice. But most of my driving is in the city, having a DCLB some times becomes a pain in the ass when you have to park it in parking lot made more for something like a smart car. Being able to go over a curb is my way of saying, for some reason here, our roads are always under construction and having some thing that can easily get over a curb will help you get around a 2 hour delay.
Based on that, Highlander or the Rav4. I wouldn't count out the 4-cylinder Rav4, they're pretty peppy. My girlfriend is currently looking for an AWD Rav4 and test drove a couple. I thought they rode pretty nice and had plenty of 'get up and go'. All the ones she test drove were 4 cylinders.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
4 runner for medium-large interior, highest towing capability, highest offroad capability

(08+) highlander for biggest interior, comfiest ride,

Rav4 (v6) for smallest size, fastest and best handling by far, good gas mileage.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
ag8889 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lori
ag8889's Tacoma Gallery
4Runner or Highlander for bumpy road daily driver

I know this thread is a bit older, but I'm wanting opinions/experience with 4Runner vs Highlander as a daily driver, given my "daily drive" includes at least 2 miles each-way of bumpy road (gravel, pot holes, etc ) from our house (live on a farm).
Am shopping now to replace a totaled '10 Camry
I know Highlander has a bit smoother ride, but wondering if 4Runner would be better suspension & durability on bumpy roads.
Looking at staying in $15K- $20K range max, so probably '08/'09 at newest & under 100K miles.
Have 4 kids (ages 7-19), so must have 3rd row.
Looking for leather & all options I can get for the money.
Put about 15K-20K miles a year on a vehicle, but will probably want to trade in about 3-4 years anyway.
Need to count on a few years of hauling active kids, friends, sports gear, etc.
Any comments? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8889 View Post
I know this thread is a bit older, but I'm wanting opinions/experience with 4Runner vs Highlander as a daily driver, given my "daily drive" includes at least 2 miles each-way of bumpy road (gravel, pot holes, etc ) from our house (live on a farm).
Am shopping now to replace a totaled '10 Camry
I know Highlander has a bit smoother ride, but wondering if 4Runner would be better suspension & durability on bumpy roads.
Looking at staying in $15K- $20K range max, so probably '08/'09 at newest & under 100K miles.
Have 4 kids (ages 7-19), so must have 3rd row.
Looking for leather & all options I can get for the money.
Put about 15K-20K miles a year on a vehicle, but will probably want to trade in about 3-4 years anyway.
Need to count on a few years of hauling active kids, friends, sports gear, etc.
Any comments? Thanks in advance!
This is going to be a "FIND" decision....What you FIND that fits price and options....a loaded up highlander will give you everything BUT the "curb jumping" abilities plus better MPG's while the 4-Runners speak for themselves it is based on a Truck idea....3rd row seat options should be looked at and tried as they do differ between them..

Good luck...
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
If you are buying new you can score on the RAV4 since the new generation is out. There are still a fair amount available. If you want a V6 RAV4 then now is the time since it isn't offered in the new model. My wife's '08 V6 Limited is a rocket. She hates it when I drive because the throttle is touchy.

I am looking at a used '08 Highlander Hybrid Limited right now. I am still on the fence about a couple of issues but the MPG improvement would be a nice benefit.