Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Thinking of going from a Sierra to a Tacoma

Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
JustinV is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
JustinV's Tacoma Gallery
Post Thinking of going from a Sierra to a Tacoma

I currently own an '09 GMC Sierra 1500 and for a while i have been looking into downsizing because a half ton is just more than I need.

The '12 Tacoma's have caught my eye recently with their new front end and interior redesign.

One of the reasons that i am looking at the Tacoma's in particular is the 6 speed manual trans. The 6 speed auto in the Sierra can be a bit dumb at times with trying to figure out what gear to be in and I am getting fed up with it.

I have a few questions about these trucks that I'm hoping that you guys can help me clear up.

1. How is the 6 speed in the Tacoma like to drive?? I drive a standard car ('76 Datsun 280Z!) in the summer so it shouldn't be a problem picking up a standard truck. I'm just curious as to how people think of the feel of it.

2. On the build and price site one of the options available is the TRD Tacoma QuickShifter. Is it worth getting?

3. Is the TRD supercharger available as a dealer installed accessory for the 2012's??

4. Any other quirks I can expect going from a GMC to a Toyota??

The truck I'm thinking of going with is a 4wd V6 crew cab with the 6 speed.

Sorry for the long winded post but I figured you guys could help be with picking out a new truck.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of going from a Sierra to a Tacoma-2011-10-30-14.15.43.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
the 6 speed is generally disliked by taco owners because of throwout bearing problems. the 5 speed auto is said to be fantastic though.

No SC for the '12 as far as I know.

Expect a pretty horrible interior compared to your GMC
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I like to drive a stick in a sport car as much as the other guy but I never understood wanting a stick, let alone a 6 speed, in a pickup.

But yea, generally, the 5sp Auto is considered superior in the Taco. Gas Mileage for one.

Not really a quirk but I don't think the Tacoma will be anywhere near the quality of the GMC on the inside. My dads interior in his GMC is way better than my Taco's .. Seats, stereo, space of course, but all of the plastic seems way nicer too.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinV View Post
I currently own an '09 GMC Sierra 1500 and for a while i have been looking into downsizing because a half ton is just more than I need.

The '12 Tacoma's have caught my eye recently with their new front end and interior redesign.

One of the reasons that i am looking at the Tacoma's in particular is the 6 speed manual trans. The 6 speed auto in the Sierra can be a bit dumb at times with trying to figure out what gear to be in and I am getting fed up with it.

I have a few questions about these trucks that I'm hoping that you guys can help me clear up.

1. How is the 6 speed in the Tacoma like to drive?? I drive a standard car ('76 Datsun 280Z!) in the summer so it shouldn't be a problem picking up a standard truck. I'm just curious as to how people think of the feel of it.

6 speed blows. Ratios are off, RPM hang and possible issues with throwout bearings.

2. On the build and price site one of the options available is the TRD Tacoma QuickShifter. Is it worth getting?

I believe most like the URD shifter better.

3. Is the TRD supercharger available as a dealer installed accessory for the 2012's??

Not yet.

4. Any other quirks I can expect going from a GMC to a Toyota??

Toyota quality has gone down a bit lately. The rear springs suck, the fan blower motor chirps, the windshield makes noise and there are other small issues. I sill love my truck though.

The truck I'm thinking of going with is a 4wd V6 crew cab with the 6 speed.

Sorry for the long winded post but I figured you guys could help be with picking out a new truck.

Thanks!!
See bold text.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
JustinV's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I will have to try and get a test drive in this week sometime.

I don't think GM is any better with their interiors, i just hit 40,000kms and Im starting to get a lot of bad squeaks and rattles. My dads '08 with 120,000kms is getting very bad for interior squeaks as well.

I didnt expect the 6 speed to have such a bad rep.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah they really messed up with the 6 speed. Not sure how they came up with the gear ratios

A test drive is definitely needed, try both the 6 speed and auto.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
JustinV's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely gonna make the salesman work for this one!

I hope the 6 speed wins out, it will be nice to not have to put up with a slushbox every day.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
braaap

Quote:
Definitely gonna make the salesman work for this one!

I hope the 6 speed wins out, it will be nice to not have to put up with a slushbox every day.
I agree about the slushbox, but If I was to buy a 2nd gen, it would be a 4cyl 5 speed just to stay away from that 6 speed.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I did a similar switch when I bought my 2007. I went from a 2004 Ext Cab 4x4 Silverado to a 4x4 crew cab Tacoma. My switch was because the Silverado had high mileage and I wanted a physically smaller truck because I live in a city. The Tacoma really doesn't do much better on gas than the Silverado (my Chevy didn't have the new electronics to shut down cylinders when cruising). Just throwing it out there in case the reason for the switch was for fuel savings.

URD makes a short throw shifter that has a shorter throw than the TRD kit but a couple members have had an issue where they broke the mount of the URD.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a v8 Titan to my Tacoma. I love the Tacoma but miss the power. Surprisingly the taco has a ton of room. Just need to utilize it correctly. Good luck, sir.

My Tacoma has 165.000KM--101.000miles. Ive had it for 15000 km. really love it. Wouldn't consider going for a larger truck right now. If you offroad, you'll be glad you don't have a full size. If I didn't offroad, I may have kept the Titan(gas hog though).
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
you will like the resale of the taco better than the GMC
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
JustinV's Tacoma Gallery
The big thing im looking is the fun to drive part of it. A half ton is just more than I need right now.

Plus I would love to get back into wheeling on weekends, which i was not going to do with my Sierra.

I'm expecting that the mileage difference between the 2 will be minor anyways so that's not really why I'm looking at downsizing. If it did matter i wouldn't be looking at a truck anyways!

Local dealer has only autos in stock right now...
Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
"It is what it is.."
SilverDuck27 is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
SilverDuck27's Tacoma Gallery
I just switched from a 1998 Z71 Extended cab to a '09 Crew Cab TRD off road 4x4. I personally love the taco...I have the 5 speed automatic. I just like the simple things about compartments and accessories that the taco has over the Chevy. I have had Chevies all my life and so does my family. Big step getting out from under the Gov't Motors shadow. I really like the simplicty of maintenance on the taco as well.....someone made it easy for us DIY guys. That's my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A half ton is just more than I need right now.
Aren't all the Tacomas half ton? Did you mean full size compared to mid sized truck? Either way you'll enjoy the swap. Wandering around here will empty your wallet with all the mod possibilities. Your willpower will be tested.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
JustinV's Tacoma Gallery
I know what you mean, the sierra has been bad enough with all the mods it already has.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
The A750F transmission on the autos is stolen from the 4.7L V8. It shifts real smooth, gets better fuel economy and is bomb proof.
If you get an auto, you won't regret it.