LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Failing Power Steering Pump?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Failing Power Steering Pump?

My friend had me come over and have a look at his civic today...started it up and within seconds of turning on the car i hear this louuuddd noise coming from under the hood. Open the hood it sounds like its coming from the power steering pump.

I told him to turn the steering wheel left/right and the pump made even more noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etmE_Y3UAN0?version=3

I also test drove it around the neighborhood and i noticed when the steering wheel neared end on either the left or the right it got harder to turn. I checked the fluid reservoir and it looks like it has sufficient fluid.

What do you guys think? Maybe something with the belt too? This is a 2003 Honda Civic and I don't know how well they've kept up with maintenance, the car just recently reached 100K miles.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Without a doubt the pump and/or rack. If you want to go the cheap route you can TRY some of that power steering conditioner, it works sometimes but YMMV and I don't recommend it. I'd throw a new pump on it and make sure the lines are properly purged.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Had this happen on my friends old 98 Civic. He tried everything, apparently he discovered he had added too much octane booster causing the engine to stay locked into V-Tec.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Had this happen on my friends old 98 Civic. He tried everything, apparently he discovered he had added too much octane booster causing the engine to stay locked into V-Tec.
they have special cam (s) to do that, on the real yo. vtec from idle brah!

bap baaappppp