Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Would you ever consider a defender 90?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Would you ever consider a defender 90?

Hello, long story short my wife has always wanted a defender 90 and I have seen a few reasonable deals latley. I have been checking some rover forums but they are almost as enthusiastic as Tacoma owners. The defender would be a weekend project (and likley a bank account destroyer). Afte seeing a few jeeps crawling out in ocatio (sp?) and not being able to get the Tacoma through due to wheel base I am considering a short wheel base for offroad. Does this sound like a fun project or just a great way to piss away $? It would be a slow build but seams like a lot of fun.
Ps I would keep the taco just to have a truck for the sake of having a dependable vechicale.

Sorry for the phone spelling errors that surely exist:-)
Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Land Rovers kick ass, I had a 98 discovery and i LOVED the off road capabilities! I always told my friends how fast i would trade it for a 90 because of the great wheelbase and approach angles. Just maintain Maintain Maintain. Thats what will cost you.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I've always wanted one myself. Love them.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Right there!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Goatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dillon
Goatus's Tacoma Gallery
Would love to go for a series IIA not the defender. Defender fixes are $$$ from mechanic the series IIA could be fixed in the field when problems arise.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
X2
Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If you can afford what it will take to repair it, I would go for it. One of my favorite all time vehicles for sure. Love the way they look and their capabilities, but very expensive when something goes wrong.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Hell yeah I would get one.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get a Wrangler Rubicon instead.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
JstreetS will become famous soon enoughJstreetS will become famous soon enough

Name: Jay
JstreetS's Tacoma Gallery
Oh ya! Unique and practical! I had a range rover before my taco, hated my maintenance bills! Taco was an easy choice for reliability!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Have a few friends with rovers (discovery and a lr4) both are great vechicales but would not want one for a daily driver. Are most of the repairs that complicated where they can't be repaired by a non rover mechanic? It would be a weekend truck so if and when it breaks it will just sit till I'm ready to dump the $$$. Thanks for the advice. Also I really like the jeeps but they are just to practical. Looks like the rovers hold some value so if it turns out to be that expensive I'm sure I could get out of it and just chalk it up to a learning experiance.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
3 4x4's i will own eventually.

a defender, an early bronco, and an early landcruiser. not sure in what order.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
3 4x4's i will own eventually.

a defender, an early bronco, and an early landcruiser. not sure in what order.

Nice list!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
When I grew up we had a diesel defender 110 (same as 90, but long wheel base and bed) on the farm/ranch. That thing would go just about anywhere. I would rather get that than a Jeep (the defender might be more $$$ to fix when it breaks, but the Jeep breaks more often, so it will be a wash). Don't expect the Toyota reliability, but it does not mean it is going to break every day either. We had our 110 for probably 15 years, and it worked hard. The only big fixes were a front differential that broke and the engine had to be overhauled once.

One drawback is that they are heavy, so they are not good in sand.

Something like this:
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
always wanted a D90. i would put up with the repair bills to have one if i hadz the cash. they are just really badass.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I've always wanted an old D90 with a diesel
Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
Since I saw one driving around town about 5-6 years ago I have wanted one.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #18

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Now just to keep hunting the net for one with some life left in it. Saw one a month or so ago with 60k that I should have made a offer on. Well just going to have to keep a eye out and hiding a few $ every week. Thanks for the input .
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I've always thought the Defenders are freaking awesome. I can only imagine how much they cost to fix, if other Land Rovers are any comparison. It looks pretty damn capable off-road. I don't know the specs but in the YouTube videos they look like they are fun to take off-road.

How about trading up for a Lamborghini LM002 instead??
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i have a special place in my heart for land rovers. when i am up in virginia, i wheel with a land rover group more frequently than the tacoma group. of course they have quirks, like most vehicle, but all issues can be easily fixed if needed. extremely capable vehicles. they blow jeeps out of the water in all categories. the only reason there are 10 times more jeeps out there is because rovers cost more. very worth it though. i can get some great pictures of nice D90s from my buddy if you'd like. just let me know.