Notices

Not exactly a Toyota problem

Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Xenuex is on a distinguished road
Marines: Cpl USMC.
Name: Brent
Xenuex's Tacoma Gallery
Not exactly a Toyota problem

Ok, I have been searching for somwhere to post. I have posted here several other occasions. Everyone is always a great help. And, this is a pretty generic question.

My brother has a '86 Jeep Commanche. 4x4 4cyl.

There is a vibration in the front end. Usually only at highway speeds(55-60mph).

I just wanted to know some general ideas of what could cause this.

He has checked the alignment, and wheel bearings. Wheel balance.

Only other thing I can think of that may contribute to a vibration is an over\under inflated tire.

Suggestions?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Hello Marine, how are ya! U should've posted this on the general forum, but better yet, do a search on either the Jeep Forum, or the Cherokee Forum. Just put either one on google, and do a search. U should find the answer quick!

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Could just be the tire/tires. Fiancee had a vibration on her truck at highway speeds, once she bought new tires (which she needed) the vibration went away completely.

Also you can pm a mod and ask them to move this to the general automotive thread since it isn't really a tacoma question. That's where I posted questions about my fiancee's gmc.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Does it get bump steer? or death wobble. The Y link steering is notorious for having tons of issues.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Moved to general automotive
Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Moved to general automotive
I see you will do well as a mod young grasshopper!
Congrats by the way!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
How about tie-rod ends? They can also cause vibration when worn.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
Does it get bump steer? or death wobble. The Y link steering is notorious for having tons of issues.

Sounds like DW. But that's weird, since DW only happens every now and then, not all the time. But those are the speeds where it happens!

XJ's are WAY sensitive when it comes to alignments, I wonder if...
Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
Xenuex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Hello Marine, how are ya! U should've posted this on the general forum, but better yet, do a search on either the Jeep Forum, or the Cherokee Forum. Just put either one on google, and do a search. U should find the answer quick!

Good luck!
Doing well, yourself?

Thanks for all the advice. What is Death wobble? Or Bump Steer? Never heard of um before.

I will let him know to check out his tie rods. Didn't even think of those.

He bought these tires not too long ago. But, it is an option if nothing else helps.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenuex View Post
Doing well, yourself?

Thanks for all the advice. What is Death wobble? Or Bump Steer? Never heard of um before.

I will let him know to check out his tie rods. Didn't even think of those.

He bought these tires not too long ago. But, it is an option if nothing else helps.

Here U go leatherneck. Man the Army Infantry bailing the Marines again...

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/search....archid=2978370
Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Xenuex's Tacoma Gallery
Bailing the Marines out my a$$...lmao.

You can't expect Marines to know -everything-. I know we do most if not all of the work everywhere else. ^_^

I am pretty sure Marines bailed yall outa Fallujah. =)

But thanks for the link. I will check it when I am no longer at work..and have access.
-Semper Fi
Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenuex View Post
Bailing the Marines out my a$$...lmao.

You can't expect Marines to know -everything-. I know we do most if not all of the work everywhere else. ^_^

I am pretty sure Marines bailed yall outa Fallujah. =)

But thanks for the link. I will check it when I am no longer at work..and have access.
-Semper Fi

HOOOAH!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Besides the steering setup a bad ujoint could cause a harmonic vibration at speed.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
Xenuex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
HOOOAH!

Oorah!

Lol

I will also let him know about the u-joints. Is there any way to test the U-joints? I haven't been a mech in years. A lot of it got brain dumped.