1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question about selling truck with shell or without.

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ecriv, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    ecriv

ecriv [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leucadia, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4X TRDS
    de-badged, de-stickered, black grill emblem, 285/70/17 General Grabber AT2,Cab mount Chop, seat belt chime, lock/unlock beep muted, yellow fogs, FOX 2.6 Coiler front & Bilstein 5100 rear + Built Right UCAs & AAL, SnugTop, bronze duplicator wheels, Thule hitch rack, 4x Yakima roof bars, Yakima Sky Box, Baja Rack, ARB FR Bumper,
    hey, 1st post as a brand new Tacoma owner. well, it's a used '09 - but i'm new to this forum. Such great advice & mods on here so far - i love it when people are such huge fans of their vehicles... reinforces my purchase even more :-]
    anyway... I'm selling my old truck [05 Tundra DC 2wd] and i have the SnugTop Super Sport on there.
    My question is, do most used truck buyers prefer to have the shell on or is it more worth my while to sell is separately?
    thanks in advance for any advice & thanks for all the great Tacoma inspiration.

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Depends 100% on the potential buyer. Some like the shells, some hate them. If you sell if separately, it could sit for months before you find a buyer or could be gone the minute you list it for sale. I'd probably sell it on the truck and not deal with the hassle of selling it separately.

3. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    ecriv

Member:
    Leucadia, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4X TRDS
    de-badged, de-stickered, black grill emblem, 285/70/17 General Grabber AT2,Cab mount Chop, seat belt chime, lock/unlock beep muted, yellow fogs, FOX 2.6 Coiler front & Bilstein 5100 rear + Built Right UCAs & AAL, SnugTop, bronze duplicator wheels, Thule hitch rack, 4x Yakima roof bars, Yakima Sky Box, Baja Rack, ARB FR Bumper,
    Thats what i'm thinking too. My local shell dealer will take old shells as trade in's but then i would have the hassle of trying to 'deliver' the tundy shell in the taco - that right there probably isn't worth the peanuts i'd get on a trade in.

4. Feb 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.

What he said...

5. Feb 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    Post a feeler thread for your shell and see if you get any interest.

6. Feb 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    sioux_hockey_guy

sioux_hockey_guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bismarck, ND
    Vehicle:
    Black '08 TRD OR 2" Leveled
    Eibach front springs, Billstein 5100's set at .85" Rear blocks (1.5"?) w, TSB. To be replaced w/ AAL
    If your going with a private sale try to include it in the price and be done with it. If you're trading in, it'd be worth your time removing it and trying to sell seperately. Ususally you will not get a higher price for your trade because of the topper because of what everyone else is saying....It will depend on the eventual buyer.

7. Feb 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    ecriv

Member:
    Leucadia, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4X TRDS
    Thanks everyone - i'll post something in the Tundra forum or on CL.

8. Feb 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I sold my old ranger back in the day and the buyer didn't want the shell so I took it off. 3 years later it was still in my backyard and I couldn't find a buyer.. Ended up giving it to some guy I found driving a ranger that would fit it. He was happy for the free shell, I was pissed I lost out on that money.

Sell it with the shell and let the buyer deal with it if they don't like it.

9. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:03 AM
    glk21c

glk21c Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I posted a feeler thread about this very issue a few months back. Wound up getting a few responses, eventually sold the cap to one of them. In my case I was looking at trading in my Tacoma, and I knew the dealer would give me NO additional value for having cap on the truck.

Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top